Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
I attempted to do various searches and came up with nothing, so I'm hoping someone can help me out with this one.

I have an iPhone 5 with a dash mount that I use quite frequently for GPS and listening to podcasts, and I also have a 120gb iPod Classic with my entire library of music on it. What I ideally would love to do is find some sort of mount that I can place on the underside of the center console lid, and have a short cable go from it to the USB port on the inside of the center console so I can have all of my music in the car with me (I'm kind of a music nerd).

I'd also like to find some way to either wire up a second usb port either in the center console, from the glovebox, or somewhere close to the instrument cluster so I can have my phone plugged in while I'm running the GPS/charging the phone.

SO...I guess I have a couple questions.

1) Does anyone know of any good iPod mounts that I could attach to the underside of the center console lid?

2) Does anyone have any experience or insight on whether or not I can use a usb splitter on the one USB outlet inside the center console to have both items charging, but only have one play music? I'm not sure how the PDIM handles multiple devices.

3) If #2 isn't an option, is there a way to wire up a second USB outlet strictly for charging either inside the center console or in the glovebox?

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Reactions: Starks8

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
i have a mp3 player that i attach to a set of hearing protectors (worn for chainsawing/lawnmowing etc) that have aux jack and speakers in...i attach the mp3 player to it with 'plastic velcro' its plastic and clear and works like velcro...have used the same pieces for years now...piece on the back of your ipod, piece on the underside of the lid.

Amazon.com: plastic velcro

dont know the reality of usb splitting....am curious, as i leave a usb stick with music in the console unplugged, in case i forget my phone, or phone stops working i have the usb stick for backup....would like to leave it plugged in permanently so even for short short trips i wouldnt have to hook up my phone and yada yada

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
boraz, thanks for the info. I've been googling center console and glove box mounts for some time, and I think velcro is going to be the easiest option. lol

As far as the USB outlet is concerned. I'm a bit of a novice when It comes to pulling the console apart and stringing wires, but I can probably figure it out. The part I'd have a problem with is figuring out how to splice it in on the fuse box, and what fuse to splice it into. I've seen these "add a circuit" splicers but I don't know how good they are.

Again, I apologize, I'm a giant noob.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Update: Been doing some googling on how to wire up a USB port int he glovebox. I found this which I think will work, but I'm still not entirely sure how to hook it up to the fuzebox correctly.

Direct Hardwire 5V USB Type A Port Car Charger Kit for Subaru Impreza WRX Stii | eBay
Mini ACS J Add A Circuit Piggy Back Pluggablestandard Blade Tap Fuse Holder BDRG | eBay

pull 20a fuse for the rear power outlet, plug this piggy back in, put the 20a fuse back in it, put another 20a fuse in the empty slot of the piggy back

crimp red wire from the charger kit to the red wire coming from the piggy back, ground your black wire from your charger kit.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mini ACS J Add A Circuit Piggy Back Pluggablestandard Blade Tap Fuse Holder BDRG | eBay

pull 20a fuse for the rear power outlet, plug this piggy back in, put the 20a fuse back in it, put another 20a fuse in the empty slot of the piggy back

crimp red wire from the charger kit to the red wire coming from the piggy back, ground your black wire from your charger kit.
boraz, awesome! Thanks so much. Messing with electrical makes me nervous lol.

phantom, I have one that I keep in my car in case my girlfriend wants to charge her phone, but I'd prefer not to leave the adapter plugged in all the time, especially since the Cruze has that spring loaded flap that covers the outlet. Plus, call me OCD or whatever, but I prefer the aesthetics of how the car interior was designed. Having that plugged in with the flap up all the time makes me cringe lol. Might be the graphic designer in me. :p

·
Premium Member
2,234 Posts
If you need any more help with wiring or install plz ask. This is one of the easier installs; so much so that you can even make the second USB plug appear stock and in any location you wish. As far as mounts go, you can get creative with this. I usually walk around lowes until I find something that would suite my needs.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sadistik, thanks man, I appreciate it! I'm planning on using some of that industrial all-weather velcro to mount my ipod. However I think my biggest challenge will be trying to figure out how to run the wire from the glove box to the fuse panel. Any tricks of the trade for a noob?

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Sadistik, thanks man, I appreciate it! I'm planning on using some of that industrial all-weather velcro to mount my ipod. However I think my biggest challenge will be trying to figure out how to run the wire from the glove box to the fuse panel. Any tricks of the trade for a noob?
pull the shifter console apart

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsT20dXdm1I&feature=youtu.be

should be able to fish the wire between the footwells through the center console, then tuck it up into the back of the glove box, take the glove box out

·
Premium Member
2,234 Posts
Don't pull the shifter apart!!! You can easily run wire from the glove box to the fuse box by taking off the kick panels on the driver's right foot/passenger's left foot. They pull straight out. You don't have to touch any other panel related to the shifter. I can verify this as I just ran my wires for my door sill plate. Removing the glove box is easy as long as you know how the air bag on the pax side comes out. I'll take pics this weekend and show you the route you should take.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Don't pull the shifter apart!!! You can easily run wire from the glove box to the fuse box by taking off the kick panels on the driver's right foot/passenger's left foot. They pull straight out. You don't have to touch any other panel related to the shifter. I can verify this as I just ran my wires for my door sill plate. Removing the glove box is easy as long as you know how the air bag on the pax side comes out. I'll take pics this weekend and show you the route you should take.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fni39e_0THw

air bag doesnt come in to play

1 - 14 of 14 Posts