Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Is $200 the right price for a new battery??

17991 38
Hello fellow Cruzers,

The other day I took my cruze(2012 1.4 LT) at a chevy dealership for an oil change and the technician as usual did the overall inspection of my car. However later he came up to me and showed me a graph and said that my car battery is about to die and I need to replace it soon before the winter hits in. He said it would cost me $199 plus tax for a new battery. Is it ok to pay $200 for a new battery or are there cheaper and better options available?

Thank You in advance for your help.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

· Premium Member
24,131 Posts
The price is reasonable - installed. However I think you can get better batteries.

· Premium Member
439 Posts
One of the BEST batterys, bar none, is an Optima...sold at many auto stores for around $150 more or less. They are the chosen battery for hot rodders, car enthusiasts, and people looking for the best quality battery. Check it out before you buy.

Replacing the battery is one of the easier auto maintenance tasks. Just a couple of battery terminal nuts and one or two hold down nuts...easy as pie. Just be careful not to touch the positive with a tool that might also short to ground. Do it...and feel good about saving $20.

Also, take your car to an auto-zone or O'reillys and have them check it...I can't imagine a Cruze where the battery should be gone in the little length of time you've owned it. My Corvette battery is still original after 7 years. Just a thought.

· Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thats a good point ParisTNDude. I will take it to O'reillys to check whether I do need to replace my battery or not. Yup the car is a 2012 model. Hard to believe that it already needs a battery replacement.

· Premium Member
3,904 Posts
Don't know what US prices are, when I need a new battery I wait until it shows obvious signs of failing and just call a battery service and they come to my house, give me a choice of new battery with longer warranty for the better more expensive ones and install it for free. They also do a free alternator check first in case it isn't the battery. Last time I bought one it cost $150.00 for a heavy duty with 3 years warranty.

· Banned
9,198 Posts
"The battery that comes with a GM vehicle or is replaced under warranty is
covered by the limited warranty of three years or 36,000 miles (48 months/4 years or 50,000 miles,
whichever comes first, for Cadillac, Buick and HUMMER) and should be taken back to the
GM dealership. The six-year warranty is for the consumer who purchased the battery; the

battery should be returned to the place of purchase or any ACDelco battery retailer with the receipt."

Would argue the receipt for buying the car should be acceptable.

Standard warranty is free replacement for the first 30 months and prorated linearly from 31 to 72 months. In my 2012 has the 47-6yr battery.

I won't even question what kind of POS he used to test your battery, have all the equipment I need to test it myself. Is a 60 AH battery, so even can do a capacity test.

Sounds like to me your dealer is trying to rip you off. Run into this now and then. Unless you ran into a tree.

Without too much searching for a 75 month warranty battery, coming up with much closer to that 100 buck level for a size 47 battery. at NAPA, but normally get an extra discount. In checking all the stores in my town, NAPA was the only one that has the proper battery testing equipment. Not pushing NAPA, just posting a simple fact.

Did your battery every run down? If so, the BCM is not protecting it, two or three complete discharges can ruin a battery. Another cause is a low battery in below freezing conditions. Electrolyte turns to ice if not having close to a full charge. Lastly, are you experiencing problems with your battery, like slow cranking speeds. What does your DIC say about battery voltage? And how many miles on your car?

· Premium Member
2,811 Posts
The last battery I bought was an Optima (for my GTO)- list price was over $200. With a discount I think it was about $150. My brother just bought a battery for his Chevy Van - list price was $150 but had a $50 discount at AutoZone or Advanced Auto not sure which one. So $150 to $200 is probably full price - you should be able to get for less and the install is easy. Just be careful these things have lots of amps.

· Administrator
14,720 Posts
One of the BEST batterys, bar none, is an Optima...sold at many auto stores for around $150 more or less. They are the chosen battery for hot rodders, car enthusiasts, and people looking for the best quality battery. Check it out before you buy.

Replacing the battery is one of the easier auto maintenance tasks. Just a couple of battery terminal nuts and one or two hold down nuts...easy as pie. Just be careful not to touch the positive with a tool that might also short to ground. Do it...and feel good about saving $20.

Also, take your car to an auto-zone or O'reillys and have them check it...I can't imagine a Cruze where the battery should be gone in the little length of time you've owned it. My Corvette battery is still original after 7 years. Just a thought.
I haven't seen one that fits the battery tray and stock terminal locations. In addition, their quality control has gone WAY down in the last 10 years. I've heard far too many stories of batteries with bad cells.

They're used because they are more resistant to shock and flipping over. The durability aspect of it is no longer true. It used to be, but I don't trust them as much as I would an AGM battery like a Diehard Advanced Gold.

Sent from mobile.

· Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,807 Posts
Don't buy another dealer battery. If yours lasted this long, so will the replacement.

Mine was replaced under warranty just over a year in (and many others here have been in the same boat with their OEM batteries failing to hold a charge after a year or two). I don't trust the new one for much longer than that timeframe.

Go with something with a known good reputation for lasting 4-5 years - Optima, DieHard, or Interstate. You'll get more reserve power (cranking amps) from any group 47 battery as well.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

· Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi NidkD. let me try and answer all your questions.

I bought a used chevy cruze so I don't eactly know the battery history of this vehicle.
No my battery has never run down. The technician at the dealership showed me a graph which stated my battery was running low.
As of now I am not experiencing any battery issues. The only reason I am worried is I dont want to be stranded in the middle of nowehere.
I need to check my DIC for the battery voltage.
I have 43000 miles on it now.

Thank you for your response

· Banned
9,198 Posts
Delco, Delco-Remy, ACDelco, or whatever they call them now no longer exists, but GM holds the trademark. No telling who is making their batteries now, or how many different sources they are using. Last I heard, they did sell their battery division to Johnson Controls that has been a good company. Johnson Controls even sells the same battery under the Walmart brand, least they use to, haven't checked in the last couple of years. And with a good warranty, but for 97 bucks.

Somewhere on the label in super fine print, should find Johnson Controls. If not, don't buy it. You won't find any vendors name on an ACDelco product. And just because you received a defective one, doesn't mean they all are defective, could be that particular vendor that is bad.

In theory at least, your dealer should have the best price for a battery, GM purchases in huge quantity and gets the best discount with quite the distribution service. But dealers can get awfully greedy at times.

The key tools I use for searching for a battery is a ruler and a photo to make sure the terminals are located as the old one. Was surprised GM got away from that really old side terminal battery and now just like everybody else. And make darn sure the positive and negative terminals are in the same spot or you will really run into mounting problems the way the Cruze is set up.

And not one product you want to order online, shipping and handling cost will kill you, and really kill you if you have warranty problems.

· Premium Member
4,468 Posts
I haven't seen one that fits the battery tray and stock terminal locations. In addition, their quality control has gone WAY down in the last 10 years. I've heard far too many stories of batteries with bad cells.

They're used because they are more resistant to shock and flipping over. The durability aspect of it is no longer true. It used to be, but I don't trust them as much as I would an AGM battery like a Diehard Advanced Gold.

Sent from mobile.
Part Number: Optima Redtop SC35R. Is the closet I have found to fitting g out tray with the terminals on the correct side.

Sent From My Galaxy Note 3.
Which is bigger than my hand.

· Premium Member
2,811 Posts
I have a Optima 35 in my GTO and it saves a few pounds (maybe 5 to 10 pounds) off the front end of the car over the OEM AC Delco.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.