Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys, After washing down my engine and driving for about 30 miles I confirmed it is my oil cooler or the the gaskets/o-rings. Being behind the turbo it does not look like fun to replace. Is it covered under powertrain warranty?? Have any of you had a leaky oil cooler>?? If I am doing it myself I need to figure out if I replace the entire unit for $161 or just the oring and 2 gaskets $25.
Any feedback is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
It might be covered under the seal coverage that's part of the powertrain warranty. I would hope it would be covered under the 5 year/100,000 powertrain coverage.

I know that some people have had issues with auxillary components being covered. When people were having Automatic transmission hoses replaced due to sealing leaks several years ago, and many said it wasn't covered. Yet some said it was.

I would push for powertrain coverage, if I had to do it myself, I'm sure it's the gaskets, vs. the cast aluminum housing.

I recently watched a oil cooler seal replacement for a Mini-Cooper on Youtube. Similar European designed housing. They showed how the seal was designed and fit in the groove. The groove on the Mini was designed in such a way that it almost appeared to be designed to control the leak to a certain area.

I believe our oil filter housing is made by Hengst. I'm guessing that this style oil filter housing and heat exchanger can't have that many OEM suppliers.

Both the seals and the heat exchanger are on Rockauto, I remember seeing them a while back.

Not sure if you have to loosen the turbo to get at that assembly or not. I'm guessing it has coolant and oil connected to it so there's probably a radiator drain involved as well.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
According to Chiltons online the oil cooler replacement is 1.7 hours under warranty, and 2.5-2.8 hours for customer pay.

Disconnect the battery
Drain the coolant
Remove the 3 way catalyst at the v-band clamp at the turbo. Other end disconnects at the bottom at the flange with the three bolts. It looks like turbo stays in the car.

Oil line gets removed from the Turbo. There is a How To on this forum for that.

Then there's something about air intake duct removal. I'm not sure if it can be just separated from the throttle body, or if it really needs to be disconnected from both ends for access.

Yes it looks like quite a job for what appears to be two o-rings back there. One oil and one coolant.

Good luck..

Once you get access by removing the 3 way warmup catalyst at the turbo this might not be that bad.

There's a lot of hoses to disconnect, but they look like they all have hose clamp connections according to the pictures.

Good Luck.

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info!! I am surprised that the turbo doesnt come off?? Looks pretty tight in there. I am reading reviews on Yelp for a good dealership near me to check it out. I have been through **** with two already and refuse to go back to them. Yelp reviews for the dealers around me are scary and pathetic!

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
After re-reading the procedure again, the air boot between the air cleaner assembly and the turbo must be removed, not the hard pipe connected to the throttle body.

There is some type of coolant connection that's attached to the thermostat that must be removed. It's below that plastic elbow that takes air from the airbox down into the turbo.

Many years ago I struggled with a radiator hose clamp for hours. I vowed to buy a cable operated hose clamp pliers the next time I got free points to use at Sears. It's still in the package, but on a job like this that $30 pliers would be worth it's weight in gold.

I don't know how easily the Precat comes out, but if I could get that out, and if the weather was nice this looks like a reasonable job.

If you do tackle this, PM me and I'll help you with some of the pictures, or check your local library and see if they have access to Chilton's online.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
"Engine coverage includes all internally lubricated parts, engine oil cooling hoses, and lines."

I think you're good. I think dealer reviews nearly always suck. You have to read carefully to see which dealers are really bad and which ones the customers just didn't get their way. I'd also ignore any complaint about sales and focus on just the service department.

Reactions: obermd

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
Well guys, After washing down my engine and driving for about 30 miles I confirmed it is my oil cooler or the the gaskets/o-rings. Being behind the turbo it does not look like fun to replace. Is it covered under powertrain warranty?? Have any of you had a leaky oil cooler>?? If I am doing it myself I need to figure out if I replace the entire unit for $161 or just the oring and 2 gaskets $25.
Any feedback is appreciated.
Hello Gnfanatic,

We apologize for any inconvenience you're experiencing with your Cruze. If you do decide to work with a certified Chevrolet dealership, we would be happy to get that process started for you. Our team is available via private message and will need your VIN, mileage, contact information, and dealer name to move forward. Let us know!

To learn more about GM's privacy policy, please visit Privacy Statement | GM.com

Jasmine
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
2 Posts
No, actually GM will not cover it under the powertrain stating it is not part of it. I have found thousands of complaints and they will not admit there is a problem. happened to me to. $1000 to fix with the dealer

1 - 9 of 9 Posts