Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I flushed the antifreeze from my Chevy Cruze 2014 and loaded Dex-cool, I am not sure whether it is concentrated or not. Should I worry about it ?

Thanks.

Automotive tire Liquid Fluid Paint Automotive care

Liquid Automotive tire Tin Fluid Plant

·
Premium Member
2013 Cruze LT
3,718 Posts
Since it has already been loaded in the car, would you advice flushing it again or adding distilled water ? it might be hard making it 50/50 without flushing.
How many gallons did you add and was it all straight? If so, you could drain half of what you added and put half distilled back in.

Reactions: Blasirl and pyspa

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
6,059 Posts
Sure, will do.
It was almost a gallon ( all straight), what would you say are the consequences of having a full concentrated antifreeze?
It just won't cool as well as having it mixed.

Reactions: Blasirl

·
Registered
533 Posts
Buy a simple coolant tester to see what your freeze protection is.

This will tell you what your mix is if is 50/50 or 75/25 or something different. If all 5 balls float then you have all coolant and almost no water which is not good. You need a mix of water and coolant for best heat transfer.

if you have 3 balls floating then you have about a 50/50 mix. 50/50 is the ideal mix, if you don’t have this then I would extract 1 quart of coolant and then add 1 quart of straight water. let it mix well for a day or so and retest. Keep repeating until you get the mix down closer to 50/50.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Should have added, based on packaging images I can find on the web, the jug you bought is probably the concentrate and not a 50/50 mix. Seems that if it is a 50/50 mix it will explicitly say on the packaging that it is 50/50 mix. Now when you add water it’s best to get a gallon of distilled water from the grocery store so you are adding pure water with no tap water additives. I will be honest and say I don’t completely know the total reasoning other than that is what I have read from pretty much every source I have found about coolant.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts