Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always wondered about the passenger air filter. The dealers gets about $60 to change it. Is the filter necessary? Why not just take it out? Older cars never hard these filters.

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts
The filter is $15-20. It's easy to change yourself.

Without a filter, you could easily clog up the heater or A/C. It's better to change the filter then to have to pull the dashboard apart to clean out the vent system. That would be really expensive.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Just keep one in. They are a great feature that older cars didn't have, doesn't mean they didn't need it or couldn't benefit from it.

You can buy 3 filters for under $20 shipped online.

You could pay an enterprising young middle school aged car guy(or gal) $10 to install it and have a very happy young person, and 3 filter changes for less than the price of one at the dealer.

Or you could do it yourself and skip the middle man if your not a fan of trickle down economics. LOL

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
When they plug up. It tends to reduce airflow.

If it gets too bad. Could probably freeze up your evaporator too. As some of the cold air is trapped in their. And I say this as a maybe.

·
Administrator
25,030 Posts
There are pictures around CruzeTalk of passenger cabin air filters clogged with leaves and other stuff that got sucked in from outside. You definitely want to use them.

·
Administrator
25,030 Posts
OK thanks all. Will get a replacement. Thanks again.
Buy the filter and install it yourself. The hardest part will be getting all the junk back into the glove box.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am wary of who installs the filter. It is very easy to break off the little plastic extensions of the glove box itself & then the box is loose when pushed back in. This happened to my 2014 Cruze. I guess the only solution is to buy a new glove box.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Another good reason to leave the filter in place, I had a mouse get in the Plenum of my '14 Cruze LT, and made a nest on top of the filter, the smell got pretty bad when the temp got warmer. The dealer Charged me $25 to replace the filter that time. I learned how to do it myself after they told me it would cost $50 -$55 to replace it on my next car. I put tape over the AC drain port where the mice got in, a door flap on the fire wall. pass. side 3/4" X 2"

·
Registered
7 Posts
It is definitely much better in the long run to keep a good filter in place. I would not pay the dealer to do it, as it is very easy to DIY.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
I am wary of who installs the filter. It is very easy to break off the little plastic extensions of the glove box itself & then the box is loose when pushed back in. This happened to my 2014 Cruze. I guess the only solution is to buy a new glove box.
its silly easy to diy

watch the video posted

im inclined to say if a person cant do this, they shouldnt be able to drive or procreate, but as i say it i realize that its a bit harsh so i wont say that, but its still silly easy.

·
Registered
426 Posts
By the 90's cars were seeing a reduction in maintenance needs so the car makers created one, the cabin air filter, to increase service work. For 90 years cars did without these filters without major issues. You won't cause harm leaving one out but it can prevent entry of dirt and particles into the interior.

·
Registered
426 Posts
By the 90's cars were seeing a reduction in maintenance needs so the car makers created one, the cabin air filter, to increase service work. For 90 years cars did without these filters without major issues. You won't cause harm leaving one out but it can prevent entry of dirt and particles into the interior.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I don't know that I share your cynicism, but, no doubt, there weren't any cabin air filters on any of my family's cars back in the day. It's definitely a fairly recent addition.

I'll admit, I have wondered how we got along without them all those years :)

Doug

·
Registered
829 Posts
Cars went without oil filters for many decades as well. It's hard to argue they are unnecessary, or were made up to drum up service business as cars got more reliable...

·
Registered
458 Posts
Cars went without oil filters for many decades as well. It's hard to argue they are unnecessary, or were made up to drum up service business as cars got more reliable...
In a book about Ford, I read that Henry mandated that the engineers not use an oil pump during the development of the original flathead V-8. It was supposed to be a splash oiler. But after numerous meltdowns, he relented and allowed them to include the pump.

With that sort of frugal mentality, I can see why it took them a while to include the oil filter :)

Doug

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
There was talks of cabin filters in the 90s.

I'm not sure when they actually came out though

My uncles 2010 dodge pickup was the last year without. He has the same mold peices. As the 2011. But the 11 came with a cover to pull off.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts