Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Afternoon all,

I have 2012 Chevy Cruze

Noticed when I got in the car it showed 430 for gas. As I was leaving my complex it went to 424...when I got to my destination it went down to 417.

Mind you my destination is not even 1/4 of a mile I can actually see it from my window haha

Im sure the DIC isnt 100% accurate but is it normal for it to drastically drop that low on a less then a mile drive?

·
Registered
533 Posts
Good Afternoon all,

I have 2012 Chevy Cruze

Noticed when I got in the car it showed 430 for gas. As I was leaving my complex it went to 424...when I got to my destination it went down to 417.

Mind you my destination is not even 1/4 of a mile I can actually see it from my window haha

Im sure the DIC isnt 100% accurate but is it normal for it to drastically drop that low on a less then a mile drive?
Makes sense. Low speeds and a cold engine = a lot lower mpg than the DIC was predicting. It was going off your previous mpg which was probably pretty high. But the short drive with a cold engine killed mpg. So it's trying to tell you how many miles of range you have if you keep doing that short trip driving. Next time you drive a longer distance, it should go back up.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm got back in the car from my destination. 417 didnt even drive off yet dropped to 415 to 410 (and now 408 just before I was about to click quick reply) while sitting in park for about 3 minutes

Is that normal?

My knowledge on this is a little lol so forgive me

·
Registered
533 Posts
Hmm got back in the car from my destination. 417 didnt even drive off yet dropped to 415 to 410 (and now 408 just before I was about to click quick reply) while sitting in park for about 3 minutes

Is that normal?

My knowledge on this is a little lol so forgive me
You were idling this whole time? If so, sounds fairly normal. While you're not moving, you're getting 0mpg. So using gas but not moving...therefore the range will drop as gas is used up.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
What's the DIC showing for the current tank's average MPG and how many miles have you driven on this tank? As far as I can tell the DIC keeps a running average of the last 50 miles for range estimation but it appears to reset the range estimates after each fill up.. If you have less than 50 miles on the tank and you have a low tank MPG what you're seeing may be completely normal.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep the car was on but was in park.

Im just surprised how when I first got in the car it showed 430 for remaining miles left to drastic drop of now 406 provided ive only went 1/4 miles if any

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Another question, when you parked your car last night was it facing uphill? I've noticed that every single GM I've owned that parking it facing uphill will result in an optimistically high range estimate when I get back in and start the car. It can take several miles for the car to straighten this out.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
The range indication is only an estimation based on how you have been driving. When you fill the tank its using the average MPG you got on the previous tank for that estimation. That means driving across the city at a much lower MPG number your going to see a drop in range since your MPG is much lower than previously.

Others have noticed the exact opposite, drive super easy and the range will stay the same for hours or increase as your drive.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
jaye also never got the car out of open loop, which kill fuel economy as well.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Open loop is when the car is still warming up. It's the equivalent to choking a carburetor based engine.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Others have noticed the exact opposite, drive super easy and the range will stay the same for hours or increase as your drive.
Yup. Thought I'd add...today I left my house with the range reading 445 miles. When I arrived at my destination, 15 miles away, the range showed 460 miles. Thats what a trip at 44.5 mpg will do. Basically, you most likely don't have a problem unless the range drops a significant amount while the car has been off. Then you may have a leak. The range estimation is just that - an estimation. It can only go off the past, not the future. So it has to adjust based on the driving you're doing recently.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ah I see.

Usually what will happen say in the morning when i head to work...i'll start driving like usual and sometimes I'll notice the miles remaining itll show will drop....say a few miles even though i haven't actually gone anywhere yet.

This also seems to happen when the car is idle for long period of time before i go somewhere else (like say going to lunch from work)

Sometimes i'll see it go back up but it depends...

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
This also seems to happen when the car is idle for long period of time before i go somewhere else.
If your idling your car you are getting ZERO MPG. Your not moving but still burning gas, so this really brings down your actual MPG for the tank as well. You can see this if you rest a trip and drive a short distance and stop at a stop light, the entire time your idling your MPG will drop.

Eliminating excessive idling will bring up your MPG significantly, since every gallon burned is actually going into miles driven.

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Try this one-the next time you will be turning off your Cruze. Look at your Miles To Empty Screen, Remember the Number, Turn Off, Record the Number. The next time you go into the Cruze, turn key to the position BEFORE starting it & compare the Miles to Empty numbers. See how much it drops without burning a drop of gas. Then turn Cruze on & see the number drop again.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Try this one-the next time you will be turning off your Cruze. Look at your Miles To Empty Screen, Remember the Number, Turn Off, Record the Number. The next time you go into the Cruze, turn key to the position BEFORE starting it & compare the Miles to Empty numbers. See how much it drops without burning a drop of gas. Then turn Cruze on & see the number drop again.
This is normal for GM cars. While you're driving there is some sloshing around in the gas tank and the sensor reads the high points of the sloshing. Once you stop and let it settle the sensor drops to the actual fuel level.

·
Premium Member
4,143 Posts
Hey guys, remember the fuel gauge, you only have a problem when that drops suddenly on a flat road.

Reactions: obermd
1 - 17 of 17 Posts