Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the recent review of my sea level logs by vince, I've decided to attempt another data log but with a higher octane. Since I can't get anything better than 91, I'll have to use additive.

1) Is it safe on our cars?
2) Which one should I get? I mean, what ingredients should I be looking for?
3) What should I avoid?

Additionally, I'm going to review what Chevron and Shell contain as far as ethanol content. Maybe I can go with another station with less ethanol?

·
Registered
468 Posts
It should be safe but most won't add anything really to your octane. By and large octane boosters are snake oil.

The obvious solution is to move out of Commifornia.

·
Premium Member
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It should be safe but most won't add anything really to your octane. By and large octane boosters are snake oil.
I'm going to say that your statement is 100% half wrong. The magic they promise is nothing but BS, yes. However, the octane improvement is not BS. I've used the in many situations where the octance was too low (see my moving truck story in my "why are you using 87" thread).

The obvious solution is to move out of Commifornia.
Negative. where would I move to? Are you trying to come up with the most unhelpful statements possible?

·
Premium Member
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
From my understanding, one bottle will raise octaine minimally, like .01. so unless you buy a ton of it and pour it in, it wont do much.

Does Octane Booster Really Work? - NASIOC
Thanks for the link. It actually led me to this post Best way to get 93 oct from 91 oct - Page 2 - NASIOC which is highly informative and sounds like it was posted by XR :)

Seems like your link says it isn't enough to do anything while the link I found says otherwise. So, it's still a stand still. However, I already bought a bottle of what I thought to be a better of the 3 choices I had. If it's doesn't work then it doesn't work.

Reactions: XtremeRevolution

·
Premium Member
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If the user only needs .5 -2 octane numbers to reach his target boost or prevent the ECU from pulling timing, or he only needs it infrequently, then an over the counter octane booster is a good solution. If you need 3-6 octane numbers, obviously your going to have to go to more trouble and start blending some high octane fuel of your own.
That is a quote from the link I posted above. So it seems like both posts are pretty much correct and it depends on how much I need to prevent timing from being pulled. I have no idea.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts