Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
6,237 Posts
If I were to fathom a guess, I would say yes - that pole looks to have gotten significantly into the load beam's place of residence. Given that is a fair bit of structure in the front of the car, it's likely bent a lot of other components as well.

·
Registered
2012 Cruze Eco 6 Speed
666 Posts
judging bye the second picture alone id say yes also and since these cars arent worth anything I can see why its totaled.

·
Premium Member
2,278 Posts
Only a sucicidal insurance company would pay for that to be fixed.

However if they do decide to kill themselves I don't see anything that isn't straight forward to fix or would give any sort of long term problems.

Biggest deal breaker is how much force the LCA took. Buy by the looks it doesn't look like it was that big of an impact.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Ahhhh...my age is showing. I remember when if you hit a tree..the tree moved. Today...with these "lightweight" cars and crumple zones....what was a finder-bender is now a total. Glad you're OK, tho...probably a result of the "crumple zones.
(y)

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Most likely totaled.

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
Hood, fender, inner fender support, fascia, inner fascia supports, bumper beam, headlight, underhood electrical center, some suspension bits. Airbag? Yeah, it's almost definitely totalled.

·
Registered
280 Posts
If it is more than 5-6k worth of damage it will be a total loss for sure. As stated, it depends on how much damage to the structure of the drive line is done. Just cosmetically it will be close to the 5k.

·
Registered
46 Posts
If there is an option, I would take the money, There must be 100s of similar cars available at a good price.

·
Registered
6 Posts
need some advice!! i recently got into a car accident and am currently waiting for the insurance to get back to me to know if its totaled or not was wondering what y'all"s opinions were.
Honestly if it were to be fixed and I'm sure it can be, it won't run the same. There's suspension damage and frame damage. Time for another car.

·
Registered
32 Posts
If you have Gieco they will take that as a total loss. Mine went over a curb I had a bent front frame. Needed two new Rims and tires. Knuckles and a new front right fender But everything above the frame was fine except the fender which I got pretty cheap from a wrecking yard. I also had a mechanic who wasn’t to pricey & I put the knuckles and everything back on myself to save money.i had abs issues due to a wire that was severed so I spent an additional couple thousand at Chevy so they could finalize everything probably a 5,000 dollar investment just on parts and service I had my engine retimed as well at Chevy. You might be looking at 8+ considering that pole went that far into your hood. And it’s by the battery terminals might be time for a new Cruze unfortunately.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Sorry, but from my experience, I'd say that your car is toast. I had an '04 Malibu that had less front end damage than that as a result of being rear-ended and pushed into the vehicle ahead and the insurance agent told me over the phone -- before their claims guy had even looked at the car -- that it was most likely totaled. 'Glad that you're okay. Your car did its job of protecting you.

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
Looks like the car gave its life to protect you. Take the insurance money and use it as a down payment on another car.

·
Registered
2014 RS
68 Posts
The insurance carrier will make the decision based on the cost of the repairs as a percentage of the market value of the car. If the cost of repairs is >40% of the replacement value of the car it will be declared a total loss. Some companies use 25% as the benchmark. Glad to see you walked away unscathed. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Ahhhh...my age is showing. I remember when if you hit a tree..the tree moved. Today...with these "lightweight" cars and crumple zones....what was a finder-bender is now a total.
Yes. No doubt, in making the wrecks more survivable, the cars have become more disposable.

Your comment reminds me of a wrecker run I made with my brother-inlaw thirty-some years ago. The car was a ~1970 Pontiac b-body. It had run off the road and hit a telephone pole.

A three-foot section of pole was removed, rather cleanly, with the upper pole simply dropping straight down, remaining somewhat erect, and held up by the wires.

I don't think the bumper was pushed in very much - not even to the core support. OTOH, I'm sure the driver got a good smack from the steering wheel.

Doug

·
Registered
1 Posts
need some advice!! i recently got into a car accident and am currently waiting for the insurance to get back to me to know if its totaled or not was wondering what y'all"s opinions were.
Not total it’s Fixable you might have to get a new hood a new fender maybe some parts for the wheel but other than that I think you’re good insurance may totaled out But yes it can be fix

1 - 19 of 19 Posts