Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Is Consumer Reports "Much Worse Than Average" ranking of the current Chevy Cruze really fair?? The Ford Focus gets the same horrible rating while the Honda Civic is the EXACTLY opposite, with a "Much Better Than Average" ranking.

When I test drove the 2013 Cruze, I did not get that impression that it would ever been seen so negatively. It would be interesting to hear Cruze owners thoughts about this. Do most owners now regret their decision, or most still very happy with the Cruze?

Thanks

·
Administrator
25,087 Posts
Most of us consider CR to be the absolute worst source of information when it comes to cars.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Obermd,

I dont know about that! If CR had the Cruze as "Much Better Than Average" would you feel the same way? Overall, in my opinion, I think CR is
fair. I would love to know how they come up with the horrible ranking for the Cruze though. Its almost like they "have a bone to pick" with Chevy.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I have a 2011 Cruze RS with an early build date and although I've had a few warranty issues and many recalls, I do like the car. It's dealership experience that ruins it for me, which gives GM a bad name. I am not loyal to any brand as I also own a 2014 Mustang, 2006 Toyota Yaris. All this being said I would probably not buy a Cruze again.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Always take anything written by Consumer Reports with a grain of salt.

While most of the time they have been proven to be fairly scientific in their reviews, they've also proven that hack jobs are not beneath them.

They will also occasionally rate mechanically identical machines completely different.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
All cars have their problems look at the extended warranty by honda on the Accords for oil consumption. My Cruze has had some issues but it doesn't burn a drop of oil. We have the extended warranty for our water pump which I had mine replaced already and haven't lost a drop of anti-freeze since. Given the choice I think I would rather have the water pump problem than the oil burning problem.
I take CR with a grain of salt most of the time they are accurate but they are fanboyish at times too with the foreign made cars and ignore a lot of issues with them.
Our other car is a 2007 mazda 3s and it has had more issues than our cruze (i.e. alternator) in the same amount of time that I have owned my cruze (i.e motor mount on the right front that mazda's refuses to acknowledge that there is a problem we are on our third since 2007). But I consider it a good car and reliable and those got a recommend by CR at the time. Now my daughter drives it and we will probably keep it till the wheels fall off. My other pet peeve about the mazda 3's is you can't get more than 30,000 miles out of the tires. That is ridiculous.
Wife bought a Toyota Rav4 in March and it has a problem already with the front drivers seat and the adjustments and the shifter lever is coming apart. So we will see what Toyota says about these problems. From past experience with my piece of junk corolla I had they will blow us off and say nothing is wrong. But CR loves toyotas.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Something is wrong with CR's algorithm. They rated the MINI Copper and the Cruze very poorly in 2012-13 but in the very same report the MINI and Cruze had the highest customer satisfaction rating. That smacked of something wrong with their ratings system to me.

I have had very few problems with my 2012 Cruze ECO at 90K miles.

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
I think CR has become a less than reputable source of product evaluations. For cars, I'd prefer to consult NHTSA, CarComplaints.com, KBB, and maybe Trucar, in that order. I don't own a Cruze (it came in second in my choices), but it certainly doesn't seem to be worse than average. Not great, but not bad either.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I liked the Cruze 1LT I test drove in 2013, but ended up with a 2013 Civic EX. One part of the Cruze that bugged me immediately is that tiny little center console armrest.
Even with it extended, my elbow barely catches it.....anyone else find that an issue?

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I've owned my cruze for almost a year now and the only issue I've had is a dead cell in the battery when the car was around 3 months old. I don't see this as a issue with the vehicle, as any car could get a bad battery. Consumer reports wouldn't be my #1 choice for car reviews. Id rather test drive cars myself and research on forums such as this than go off of CR.

·
Administrator
25,087 Posts
Obermd,

I dont know about that! If CR had the Cruze as "Much Better Than Average" would you feel the same way? Overall, in my opinion, I think CR is
fair. I would love to know how they come up with the horrible ranking for the Cruze though. Its almost like they "have a bone to pick" with Chevy.
Yes I would. My personal experience with CR and cars is that their testing is so hit and miss that it simply isn't reliable. Part of the problem is that cars are expensive and CR simply doesn't have the money to properly test cars.

·
Administrator
25,087 Posts
Obermd,
You may be right.
We bought my wife a CR Best Buy and it was a lemon. I purchased a CR Don't Buy and it was probably the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned. Her's was a Dodge and mine was a Pontiac.

·
Premium Member
7,786 Posts
I think CR's rating is based on number of issues or complaints. But is that fair when the manufacturer comes out with a changed part to fix the problem - in warranty? Do all complaints carry the same weight? And do complaints in the first couple of years indicate long-term reliability?

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
I liked the Cruze 1LT I test drove in 2013, but ended up with a 2013 Civic EX. One part of the Cruze that bugged me immediately is that tiny little center console armrest.
Even with it extended, my elbow barely catches it.....anyone else find that an issue?
All you need to do is telescope the steering wheel out and put the seat back a bit more, I don't even pull that arm rest out at all anymore and have no issues using it. My seat is back about 90% of the way.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,265 Posts
Is this another CR Rag about how they endorse Imports and big named brand made in china stuff ..

If your going to buy chineese buy they're named brand stuff .. it is better quality !
The companies here purposely buy the flawed stuff to save $$$$$ and pass the logistical costs onto U.S. ....

Take a real good look at what we are being fed by the Media .. are you brainwashed yet ? You are !
I spent 6 months looking at H.U. and settled on a Quality H.U. from china and saved $ 500.00 over a named bŕand Pioneer APP Radio 4 that is lacking in performance .. even Europe Buys direct from china ...

The 8 inch Nav , Touch screen in my Mustang is less than the GM s version and performs better with 12 high end speakers including a sub in the trunk .. I love IT ............

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Since I have owned a ton of cars without a center console not an issue with me. Was thinking about this the other day, have three vehicles now with center consoles, how would I teach a kid how to drive in one of these? Would be helpless if anything went wrong. Without one, had full control of the brakes and steering wheel.

Taught 9 out of 10 kids how to drive without a center console, had full control. Don't ask me why I got 10 kids, kind of like stray cats coming to my door looking for a place to live, yeah, all done legally.

Center consoles are also a PITA, especially if you have to sit on that gear shift lever to work on them. And makes 6 passenger vehicles, 5 passenger vehicles, what a waste. Ever see a dual control aircraft with a center console? Not the big ones, but the private ones. Left arm has a rest, use that, use your right arm to find something worthwhile on XM.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
CR rated one of our 30 buck products low compared to one costing a couple of hundred bucks. But in our opinion, that 30 buck product was certainly suitable for the application it was intended for. We wondered why they didn't compare it with one of our 150 buck products.

Just saying, look at the price tag.

Also, CR is a non-profit organization and does accept donations. Not making any accusations here, but certainly something to wonder about.

·
Registered
692 Posts
The much worse than average has to do with surveys filled out by owners of the Cruze 1.4 on reliability. If an owner filled out they had problems with their transmission (the jerkiness, or strange shifting for ex), that would count against it. Those that have problems with Mylink screen not coming on one time or another, and the owner put that down, it would count against electronics. I've filled out their surveys, and it asks what problems you have had, by category. For example engine, transmission, electronics, suspension, etc. If they have a small return, but most have issues, you can get this result.
One of the reason I chose the 14 LT over the LS was because the 1.4 scored well in reliability in 13

1 - 20 of 43 Posts