Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just spent about an hour searching the interwebs trying to answer my own question and have found very little information. So I would like to know what the forum members have experienced with the ZZP coil pack. Has installing the ZZP coil pack resulted in more power, better idle, improved mpg, etc. ?

That is the short of it, now for the back story.

This March I went from a 20 minute to a 60 minutes commute, so I started tracking my mpg. By that I mean I keep a spread sheet of all the gas station receipts, odometer readings, and DIC readings (mpg, avg mph, and range). I just wanted to state that to let people know this isn't about how I "feel" I know what is going on. ;)
For the last two months I have been getting 35 mpg very consistently, and with the recent heat wave I filled up on premium. This did give me a temporary 1 mpg boost, this was an interesting test because I normally use standard gas. But anyway, I went right back to standard gas after the heat wave broke.

I also have been trying different ideas to help improve my mpg, for example.
1. new AC DELCO 41-121 spark plugs gapped to exactly .028" = no measurable mpg change
2. new GF-6A SP oil = no measurable mpg change
3. thinner 0W-30 "advanced fuel economy" oil = no measurable mpg change
4. added engine block ground (1 of the Big3) = no measurable mpg change
5. tire pressure from 35 psig to 40 psig = 2 mpg improvement :cool:
6. tire pressure from 40 psig to 44 psig = no measurable mpg change

Now for the big reveal, I'm now getting 39 mpg with the ZZP coil. That is about 3 mpg gain over my average mpg. The mpg gain I know is real, I just find it hard to believe it is due to the new coil. The only reason I changed it was because during my spark plug change in March I damaged a boot, and wanted everything 100%. With that, I regularly scan my car for codes and watch the live data. So I'm fairly confident my original coil wasn't defective or damaged.

For anyone that has made it this far I have a second question. My code reader is accurate, but is also bit lacking (cheap). I'm looking for a new reader that can also read KR and has parameter graphing. If you have one that you know works well on the Cruze please let me know.

Premium Member
2013 Cruze LT
I am sure a stronger spark results in more burn, the fuel is going in the cylinder either way, so you get more power and I assume better mileage. If you really want crazy mileage, get a tune.

Reactions: Johnny B

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yup, I totally agree. When I was a teenager there were still a few cars around with standard voltage ignition systems and points. That went to HEI, waste spark, one coil per cylinder, and now basically everything is coil on plug. Each step was an improvement I know, but what I have seen is a crazy improvement without an apparent generational change. Is 47KV really that much higher than stock? Just asking because I couldn't find the OEM spec.

I have been eye balling the Trifecta tune for about a year now, but $400 will buy a lot of gas. And I did ask ZZP what they could do for an mpg tune. But hear is the deal, I crunched the numbers.
I currently get a 3% mpg gain from premium gas, and premium gas here costs 26% more than standard gas. So I'd have to get 46 mpg to justify changing.

That said, I now believe my car is capable of 40 mpg. My next experiment is a weight reduction test, that doesn't include me going on a diet. :ROFLMAO:

Premium Member
2013 Cruze LT
I havent had my BNR eco tune on a trip yet, but I get in the 40's around town and some highway.

Super Moderator
2015 Chevrolet Cruze LT 1.4L Turbo
It depends how modified the engine is.

Premium Member
2012 Cruze LTZ 1989 StarQuest 2004 TrialBlazer EXT
Yup, I totally agree. When I was a teenager there were still a few cars around with standard voltage ignition systems and points. That went to HEI, waste spark, one coil per cylinder, and now basically everything is coil on plug. Each step was an improvement I know, but what I have seen is a crazy improvement without an apparent generational change. Is 47KV really that much higher than stock? Just asking because I couldn't find the OEM spec.

I have been eye balling the Trifecta tune for about a year now, but $400 will buy a lot of gas. And I did ask ZZP what they could do for an mpg tune. But hear is the deal, I crunched the numbers.
I currently get a 3% mpg gain from premium gas, and premium gas here costs 26% more than standard gas. So I'd have to get 46 mpg to justify changing.

That said, I now believe my car is capable of 40 mpg. My next experiment is a weight reduction test, that doesn't include me going on a diet. :ROFLMAO:

The sudden gain is a combination of the coil with the plugs. better power to the electrode equates to a better burn. and LMAO on the weight reduction comment.

Registered
I run the MSD one (pretty sure the ZZP is the same but with their logo on it) and saw no gains or benefits over stock.

Premium Member
On a stock tune and stock engine I would be hard pressed to say it鈥檚 a worth while upgrade. For the $$ you could do a lot more other practical stuff. Now if you鈥檙e tuned, bigger injectors and turbo all that jazz I could see it but it鈥檚 one of those diminishing returns per dollar deal.

Super Moderator
Now if you鈥檙e tuned, bigger injectors and turbo all that jazz I could see it but it鈥檚 one of those diminishing returns per dollar deal.
Absolutely. Once you get beyond a tune and basic bolt-on's, additional power becomes expensive.

Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
Yeah, basically unless you're running out of spark - which is rare unless heavily modified, as mentioned above - upgraded coils are just...more expensive coils.

My brother's Mustang has Accel coils on it, I am 150% sure they do absolutely nothing extra than stock coils at this point in time (all that is done, engine-wise, is a BBK CAI and a 93 tune which was a solid 20 whp increase), except be yellow.

Super Moderator
Yeah, basically unless you're running out of spark - which is rare unless heavily modified, as mentioned above - upgraded coils are just...more expensive coils.

My brother's Mustang has Accel coils on it, I am 150% sure they do absolutely nothing extra than stock coils at this point in time (all that is done, engine-wise, is a BBK CAI and a 93 tune which was a solid 20 whp increase), except be yellow.
Looking pretty adds 30 HP. They didn't teach you that in Engineering Design 302? :LOL: ;)
And stickers, don't get me started about stickers.

Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
Looking pretty adds 30 HP. They didn't teach you that in Engineering Design 302? :LOL: ;)
And stickers, don't get me started about stickers.
I mean, it is a Mustang, so that logic is applicable.

Reactions: _GABO_ and JLL

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks to all for your input. I really would still like someone to chime in with the ZZP ignition that actually tracks their mpg.

I am sure a stronger spark results in more burn, the fuel is going in the cylinder either way, so you get more power and I assume better mileage.
The results have continued, I must be getting a better burn.

The sudden gain is a combination of the coil with the plugs. better power to the electrode equates to a better burn.
I'm now convinced this is likely to be what's going on.

I run the MSD one (pretty sure the ZZP is the same but with their logo on it) and saw no gains or benefits over stock.
I've used a few MSD coils over the years, with the same results as you. No noticeable change.

If I was running out of spark, I couldn't tell. My engine did and still does seem to run just fine. Which is why this change was unexpected.

Now that I have a couple more weeks of data, the 8% (or 3mpg) mpg gain is still holding. This is how I look at it now, 39 mpg in today's world is nothing spectacular. And the new coil is just getting the engine performance to were it should have been all along.

Super Moderator
Thanks to all for your input. I really would still like someone to chime in with the ZZP ignition that actually tracks their mpg.

The results have continued, I must be getting a better burn.

I'm now convinced this is likely to be what's going on.

I've used a few MSD coils over the years, with the same results as you. No noticeable change.

If I was running out of spark, I couldn't tell. My engine did and still does seem to run just fine. Which is why this change was unexpected.

Now that I have a couple more weeks of data, the 8% (or 3mpg) mpg gain is still holding. This is how I look at it now, 39 mpg in today's world is nothing spectacular. And the new coil is just getting the engine performance to were it should have been all along.
Is your end goal better fuel economy?

If so, this thread needs to go in the fuel economy sub forum. I believe you'll get more helpful responses that way.

Registered
Highway MPG is also about aerodynamics. Have you thought about adding the older larger engine splash shield. It gives better aero under the car. The install is pretty easy, I did mine when I first bought my car. You will need a few pieces of hardware to install in the frame the screws go in to attach the shield.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts