Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Is there such a thing as to stiff of a ride?

3K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  poodok 
#1 ·
I wanna get the strut tower bars (front and rear), coil overs, sway bars and the chassis braces....but is there a negative side to having all these pieces on the car at all at once? I wanna track and autoX this car in the future.

#3 ·
The only thing you listed that will make your ride stiffer is the coil overs. Spring rates and shock valving will determine that. Get quality shocks like Koni or Bilstein. I prefer the higher spring rate and over damped setup. Tires make a huge impact on ride and grip. Grassroots Motorsports usually does a few tire comparisons a year, check them out. Strangely the most expensive tire isn't always the best. Sometimes it's the least expensive tire that performs best.

#5 ·
There is such a thing as too stiff. If your suspension is too stiff you will end up jumping around when hitting bumps in the road, which can make your tires bounce off the ground and loose traction. That, or you install a spring thats insanely stiff, like a 16K, and you have no chassis mods to support the stiffness, and you end up doing something stupid like breaking a control arm/etc. from hitting so hard that the stock parts cant handle the force.

#9 ·
Oh look, a pebble! THUMP

Yeah, I hated mine too. Spring seats and ball joints were common failures.

A good chassis makes great cornering ability, not just adding stiff springs and struts to a normal car. Fortunately, a Cruze has a great chassis for that.

Sent from Bill the WonderPhone

#10 ·
Been there, done that. I once had a AutoX/Time Trial/Gymkana car that was my daily driver. Basically, it was a street legal race car. Never drove it long distance as it was just too harsh.

#14 ·
You may be surprised how much a body can absorb from the road. Additionally the suspension is a tuned system. One must really know what they are doing to make adjustments to that system, and tune from there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.