Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Wife had a pretty bad blow out yesterday. Thankfully, she is ok, but the tire sure did suffer some damage. She does not know what she ran over, only that she heard a loud thump and then the tire went flat.

We bought the CTD in March of this year with 11.5K miles, the blowout occurred at 28K. When I got it home back in March I immediately performed the full delete and replaced the DEF tank with a Verano spare tire. I am so glad I did now. That tire repair kit and pump is a joke. One more reason to accomplish the full delete and install a spare tire in place of the DEF tank.

There is 7/32 tread left on the remaining tires. Found a good used Fuel Max on the Bay with 7/32 remaining, so ordered it as a replacement.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,696 Posts
The Verano spare is the way to go for sure, glad it got you back on the road. The “kit” included with the Gen 1 CTD wouldn’t have helped you with that damage.

That’s a pretty bad one, by the looks of it I’d guess a plug wouldn’t work. It’s worth having a tire store take a look, possibly could be dismounted and patched from the inside.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That’s a pretty bad one, by the looks of it I’d guess a plug wouldn’t work. It’s worth having a tire store take a look, possibly could be dismounted and patched from the inside.
The thread title is purely sarcastic. Trust me, the big ole hole in this thing is not repairable. Already ordered a replacement tire.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
what is different between the cruze spare and verano? my 2014 1.4 has a spare, just wondering why the ctd guys go with verano instead
Different lug spacing. The CTD uses the Verano's 5x115 spacing while the other gen 1 Cruzes use a 5x105 spacing.

·
Premium Member
2,696 Posts
The thread title is purely sarcastic. Trust me, the big ole hole in this thing is not repairable. Already ordered a replacement tire.
Good one:sarcasm:

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
The tire seems to have early stages of weather cracks and aging anyways....I had a blow out this week and got towed to dealer and purchased a new tire, I think I have 6/32 and 47k, plan to go buy another three new tires. I don’t like tires not to be of similar wear patterns. I have never bought tires a pair at a time. Winter is coming and new tires provides peace of mind to me anyways. I have also never worn tires down to wear bars, they just don’t suit me to do that.

Reactions: Rivergoer

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
Here you go, Flex tape on the inside to seal the leak, Gorilla tape on the outside for reinforcement and wear protection.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts