Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Cruze has developed a high pitch whining noise during idle, and it's not the ABS noise that everyone else seems to be talking about. This one seems to be related to the belt drive system as the sound changes as the engine speed changes.

Here's a video of what I'm hearing.
2013 Chevrolet Cruze high-pitch whine and transmission noise - YouTube

Also, on another note, but in the same video, my transmission noise changes drastically from park/neutral going into any drive gear. I can't really describe it, but you can hear it in the video when I shift out of park.

Is this something that I should be worried about? Or will the dealer likely call it "normal"? For me it's not normal because I don't remember hearing the high-pitched idle sound when I test drove/bought the car. I'm pretty sure that one's pretty recent. However, I can't really speak for the transmission sound, I only noticed that one when bringing the car into the garage with the windows down.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,943 Posts
I did hear what you are talking about and while the dealer MIGHT call that normal me........not so much. I don't think you need to worry about it, but if you have some extra time it wouldn't hurt to have the dealer take a quick look. You never know...........
Do you have a stock exhaust on that car?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll probably drop by tomorrow to try and have a service advisor listen to it.

Car is totally stock, it's only 5 months old it doesn't even have license plates on it.lol I have 13,000 miles on it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Banned
2,226 Posts
Dont ever come to iowa without em on that all i gotta say. 5 months gone by and no plates? Whats the hold up? I cant see how you have gone that long without plates.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I brought it in and they did look at it. Initially the service manager listening for the sound thought I was talking about the fuel injectors, he said the direct injection is loud so it's normal (isn't the 1.4T MPFI?). I directed him to listen to the high pitched squeal type noise the drive belt side. He agreed that it did sound a bit irregular, so they took a look at the car. The dealership had it for 6 hours, the the result was that they believe it's normal... I don't buy that, it didn't make that sound before. They said they took off the drive belt and that it made no difference, not sure how that works since on all my other cars, the engine won't run without the belt.lol

Should I try another dealership? I have a Cadillac/Buick/GMC dealership that I trust and actually use to service all my other GM vehicles. Would my having the engine checked by one dealership show up in the computer systems of another dealership? Would they say, since you had looked at once before, we'll now have to charge you?

I'm just worried that it is something and that by not taking care of it now it may turn into something major down the road. Also, the noise is very noticeable, and for a new car, it doesn't leave a good impression for those that look at it/hear it.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Could be a something as simple as a piece of dirt suck near a moving component. I'd leave it and see if it goes away. Or you might have to wait for it to develop into a bigger problem before you can diagnose it.

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
Well, I brought it in and they did look at it. Initially the service manager listening for the sound thought I was talking about the fuel injectors, he said the direct injection is loud so it's normal (isn't the 1.4T MPFI?). I directed him to listen to the high pitched squeal type noise the drive belt side. He agreed that it did sound a bit irregular, so they took a look at the car. The dealership had it for 6 hours, the the result was that they believe it's normal... I don't buy that, it didn't make that sound before. They said they took off the drive belt and that it made no difference, not sure how that works since on all my other cars, the engine won't run without the belt.lol

Should I try another dealership? I have a Cadillac/Buick/GMC dealership that I trust and actually use to service all my other GM vehicles. Would my having the engine checked by one dealership show up in the computer systems of another dealership? Would they say, since you had looked at once before, we'll now have to charge you?

I'm just worried that it is something and that by not taking care of it now it may turn into something major down the road. Also, the noise is very noticeable, and for a new car, it doesn't leave a good impression for those that look at it/hear it.
Hello jsnowbordr47,

I am sorry you are experiencing an issue with your Cruze developing a high pitch whining noise during idle. I see you've already worked with your local Chevrolet dealer and are inquiring if it's okay to work with another dealership. Your vehicle can be diagnosed again for the same issue by any certified GM dealership. If you would like to further discuss your situation with us, please reach out via private message so we can assist. Provide your full contact information, VIN and current mileage.

Sincerely,

Laura M. (assisting Jackie)
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My local Cadillac dealership will be looking at it today. They said it's definitely not nomal. They actually had another Cruze there when I brought it in. It did not make the same sound after warmup like mine doea. Hopefully they won't take too long, but at least I have my Pontiac as backup for work today.lol

·
Premium Member
4,147 Posts
That sound is just like when the power steering oil gets too low, only you have electric steering.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Got my car back, my Cadillac dealership, unlike my Chevrolet dealership, was able to fix the problem. It makes me think that the service department at the Chevrolet dealership has issues, or maybe the standards of Chevrolet service are simply not as high as that of Buick, GMC, or Cadillac service, and that would be a shame. It turned out to be a water pump seal. Seal was replaced and per recommendation of a GM field engineer additional retaining clips were installed to prevent the issue in the future. Now, the Cadillac dealership did happen to have a GM field engineer at the shop that day, so I know that helped. But prior to his involvement, they had already isolated the sound to the cooling system because the sound disappeared when they opened the coolant expansion tank. The GM field engineer merely recommended the additional clips and informed them that it was a known issue for the Cruze. I have to believe that my Chevrolet dealership has access to the same resources as the Cadillac dealership, they simply just didn't do a through job. And they must not have bothered to call up GM for support because had they done so, they should have been informed of the water pump seal issue. They said the sound was present in all other Cruzes, my Cadillac dealership proved that to be untrue.

Needless to say, I probably won't be returning to my Chevrolet dealership for service in the future. I might drop by to give them some feedback, then again, I can do that on Yelp! I'll post a post-fix video and a clip of my car before the fix sitting right next to another cruze not making the sound. Just to show that despite what my Chevrolet dealership said, all Cruzes do not make that sound.

You'd think that after the bankruptcy that all GM dealerships would have gotten their acts together, clearly the Chevrolet dealership in my town hasn't at least not their service department, I still like their internet sales team.lol Though their DMV rep is either lying or DMV is moving really slow on license plates... though my neighbor bought their car a month after I bought mine, and they already have their plates... hmmmmm.lol

·
Premium Member
4,147 Posts
You'd think that after the bankruptcy that all GM dealerships would have gotten their acts together, clearly the Chevrolet dealership in my town hasn't at least not their service department, I still like their internet sales team.lol Though their DMV rep is either lying or DMV is moving really slow on license plates... though my neighbor bought their car a month after I bought mine, and they already have their plates... hmmmmm.lol

In Australia the number plates are attached to the car before you leave the dealership, unless it is on the back of a truck. The dealer can and usually does register your car for you with their computer before they release it to you. No plates you get fined as unregistered.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts