Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Is Valvoline 749714 Diesel Exhaust Fluid safe to use in the Cruze Diesel.

1955 25
I have a 2014 TD and have purchased DEF at a local Unocal 76 station. It has it's own nozzle/pump. I have been using it for awhile and have had no emissions issues. However, can someone tell me if the Valvoline 749714 DEF is safe to use in the Cruze TD?
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I have used various DEF brands sold through AutoZone and O'Reilly (PEAK and Store Brand). More recently, I have been using DEF sold at a local Unocal 76 station through a pump ($2.99/gallon) with no issues. However, I am wondering if the Valvoline 749714 Diesel Exhaust Fluid is safe to use? Any other brand recommedations?

Please advise.

Thank you.

Craig Lambert
Phoenix, AZ

·
Registered
2014 Cruze TD
1,013 Posts
NAPA has that listed as "Premium" DEF which probably has additives.

I recommend just using the base level stuff. The emission system on these cars is probably too sensitive to the additives considering how many people report issues with quality alerts. On a tractor or larger pickups I imagine the emission system is much more loose with readings and they can get away with it.

I've been using the Wal Mart brand stuff for the past 6 years and have not had issues besides replacing the DEF heater itself (which is common).

·
Premium Member
2015 CTD
504 Posts
I have a 2014 TD and have purchased DEF at a local Unocal 76 station. It has it's own nozzle/pump. I have been using it for awhile and have had no emissions issues. However, can someone tell me if the Valvoline 749714 DEF is safe to use in the Cruze TD?
If it meets iso 22241-1 or displays the API Diesel
Exhaust Fluid Certification Mark it can be used.

I also considered using "premium" recently and decided to just stick with what I always have used, Blue DEF.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Some companies have been adding additives lately. They can somehow interfere with the system and lead to a DEF Quality Poorq warning. I don't know why it happens.
The poor quality has been a code since def started in 2010ish. Most times it's usually the doser injector. On semis anyways.

I had that code repaired twice on a 2012 Freightliner. That would have been 2014.

·
COTM Winner
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
7,020 Posts
Some companies have been adding additives lately. They can somehow interfere with the system and lead to a DEF Quality Poorq warning. I don't know why it happens.
I can't really even imagine what these additives would do or why they would be necessary...

·
Registered
239 Posts
I bought a case of DEF additive from europe. Xenum Admax.

I bought a case of it (shipped from europe) as my daughter plugged the scr cat in our 2017 cruze diesel - short trips while she had the car at college. The cat was replaced under warranty.

The benefits of this additive are on the page above. I recall it is a fatty acid that keeps def injector and scr cat clean. Stabilizes the DEF. And reduces the temperature it crystalizes for cold weather operation.

I would imagine that any "premium def" might use something similar and have the same benefits as admax....

jeff

p.s. we sold our diesel cruze to carmax a while back - I have a case of the admax and a case of nex10; AdMax keeps DEF/SCR cat clean and happy. The nex10 is a DPF cleaner and reduces soot for cleaner DPF & EGR... If anyone is interested, I will pass them along to you at my cost, or maybe less (I want to get it out of my garage...) Just drop me a private message.

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
I can't really even imagine what these additives would do or why they would be necessary...
It messes with vehicles that have a quality sensor.
If I had to guess it is coating the sensor and ******* with its measured refraction.

Neither Cruze has the quality sensor but who knows what else it can do. It is in my opinion not worth it, and its benefits on the def injector on not proven by any reputable source that I know of.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I agree with you.
As I've stated before the 2.8L in the Canyon/Colorado has been having issues with the Peak "premium" fluid but not the standard Peak fluid. We had that issue and it wasn't from old fluid either.

·
COTM Winner
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
7,020 Posts
So definitely one of those situations where it costs more, doesn't actually serve any beneficial purpose and can seemingly cause issues.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Def is 32.5% ammonia and the rest is distilled water. There better not be any thing else in there. Any more ammonia and you will get what is called ammonia slip past the scr and the rear nox will see it as a rise in outlet nox. Any less and the scr won’t convert

·
Registered
7 Posts
I bought a case of DEF additive from europe. Xenum Admax.

I bought a case of it (shipped from europe) as my daughter plugged the scr cat in our 2017 cruze diesel - short trips while she had the car at college. The cat was replaced under warranty.

The benefits of this additive are on the page above. I recall it is a fatty acid that keeps def injector and scr cat clean. Stabilizes the DEF. And reduces the temperature it crystalizes for cold weather operation.

I would imagine that any "premium def" might use something similar and have the same benefits as admax....

jeff

p.s. we sold our diesel cruze to carmax a while back - I have a case of the admax and a case of nex10; AdMax keeps DEF/SCR cat clean and happy. The nex10 is a DPF cleaner and reduces soot for cleaner DPF & EGR... If anyone is interested, I will pass them along to you at my cost, or maybe less (I want to get it out of my garage...) Just drop me a private message.
Adding anything to your DEF system is asking for trouble. I have been working Kenworth for the past 13 years and I deal with the aftertreatment systems daily. That is nothing more than “snake oil” and false claims. The scr does not affect fuel consumption. The the DPF in a regen does as the engine “in our case the #4 injector on the exhaust stroke” doses diesel fuel to react with the DOC to bring the DPF temps to between 977 and 1077 in a controlled manner to convert soot to ash and safely pass the dpf and into the atmosphere.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have been using Blue Def Premium. My fuel mpg increased and I have fewer sensor code alerts.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have been using Blue Def Premium. My fuel mpg increased and I have fewer sensor code alerts.
Def is injected after the engine and into the exhaust. Hints diesel exhaust fluid. It will in no fashion affect fuel economy. What will affect fuel economy is and not limited to. Fuel quality, your foot, air temp, engine temp, stop and go vs highway driving, If your in a regen.. that’s a big one… how loaded you have the car, dirty air filter, oil weight, tire pressure but def does not help propel the vehicle in any fashion so it can not help or hurt mpg. Plus. The tank last right at 10k miles. Who here keeps up with a 10k avg mpg? And rests every full up and tries something different? Please don’t spread bad info. Check ISO 22241 and you will learn about def and how it works

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 26 Posts