Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Is Valvoline 749714 Diesel Exhaust Fluid safe to use in the Cruze Diesel.

2739 Views 25 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  Wally88
I have a 2014 TD and have purchased DEF at a local Unocal 76 station. It has it's own nozzle/pump. I have been using it for awhile and have had no emissions issues. However, can someone tell me if the Valvoline 749714 DEF is safe to use in the Cruze TD?
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
241 Posts
I bought a case of DEF additive from europe. Xenum Admax.

I bought a case of it (shipped from europe) as my daughter plugged the scr cat in our 2017 cruze diesel - short trips while she had the car at college. The cat was replaced under warranty.

The benefits of this additive are on the page above. I recall it is a fatty acid that keeps def injector and scr cat clean. Stabilizes the DEF. And reduces the temperature it crystalizes for cold weather operation.

I would imagine that any "premium def" might use something similar and have the same benefits as admax....

jeff

p.s. we sold our diesel cruze to carmax a while back - I have a case of the admax and a case of nex10; AdMax keeps DEF/SCR cat clean and happy. The nex10 is a DPF cleaner and reduces soot for cleaner DPF & EGR... If anyone is interested, I will pass them along to you at my cost, or maybe less (I want to get it out of my garage...) Just drop me a private message.

· Registered
241 Posts
Read the advertisement again.

It doesn't say that it will increase fuel economy.

It states that it will prevent a decrease in fuel economy. There is a difference.

This is done by keeping the scr cat cleaner and not becoming clogged.

This can happen on short trips where the scr cat doesn't get up to a good temp. Thr Def will crystallize and clog thr scr cat.

Note that this is much more likely happen in a Diesel passenger car vs a big rig kenworth. It happened to my Diesel cruze...

Jeff

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.