Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. My 2011 Chevy Cruze is in the dealership right now getting repaired. I am not 100% of what is going on but I will share what I know as I know it.

I took it in because it was taking forever to warm up. In fact it would not work up at all when the vehicle was in park, it would only blow warm air when the car was moving. So stop light, cold air. Letting it sit for 35 minutes while I dig my driveway out, cold air. The temperatures were supposed to plummet and I took it into the dealer because I was worried that if I were to end up in the ditch with no heat in the negative temperatures it could mean bad things.

I wasn’t too worried that this point I thought there was something wrong with the thermostat and a tech would poke something with a screwdriver and fix the problem (I know I am over simplifying it).

The dealership looked at the car and told me I had several things going on. There was a recall out of the Cruze so they needed to replace some switch, something had happened to a freeze plug and I was almost completely out of antifreeze. I know I am a woman, but I am not completely ignorant when it comes to stuff like this so I asked what I should have been looking for so I could have gotten the vehicle in sooner. Well the gage never went higher than half way and no lights came on – my smart car didn’t warn me at all that there was a problem.

That was Saturday (the dealership is great, gave me a loaner car and took care of me) and the parts were supposed to be in Tuesday or Wednesday and I’d get my car back. Well Ion dumped on us so I knew there would be a delay so I called just for an ETA and was told they were still waiting on a new water pump. Water pump?! I had no idea they were replacing the water pump as well.

I wanted to post this for two reasons 1) Anyone who has heater issues can be aware that it might be a bigger problem than they suspect and 2) Has this happened to anyone else?

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
The water pump on the Cruze has had quite a few problems over the last couple of years, usually around 30K miles. There is "freeze plug/machining plug" on the pump that has a reputation of "weeping", or leaking. The plug is not readily seen unless the drive pulley is removed.

The recall on the switch is likely for the vacuum assist switch on the brakes. It turns on an electric pump to add vacuum to the braking system when the engine isn't supplying enough on it's own.

I'd say you have an exceptional dealer service department, as opposed to what many here have reported.

·
Premium Member
4,645 Posts
I'd say you have an exceptional dealer service department, as opposed to what many here have reported.
I second this.

Yes, water pumps have been a problem on the Cruze, especially the 2011 models. This is likely why your coolant was low.

When you get the car back, ask your dealer to show you how to check the coolant level in the surge tank. It never hurts to have a look around under the hood once a month or so, just to make sure everything is OK. I'm sure your dealer would be happy to show you how to go through a quick inspection.

I'm assuming you've owned the car since new and this is the first time you are having issues like this?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys! Yes, I am so happy with the dealer – a little freaked out that the car could be almost out of antifreeze and not let me know somehow (other than cutting off my heat- which I guess worked to get me to the dealer). I bought the car about 7 months ago and it had just over 7k on it (was a lease vehicle). I take it in to get the oil change and tires rotated as directed to by my dealership and have learned she likes to drink the expensive gas. My husband and I only have one vehicle so while we put a lot of miles on her we try to make sure she is taken care of.

Note: About half way thru I started calling the car her, I noticed, but her name is Penny dang it and she has feelings too lol

·
Registered
742 Posts
As stated the Cruze has had many issues with the water pump. I just had mine replaced at 11k on a 2013. Mine never lost heating capability, but told me the engine was hot even though the tempature read normal and then the thermostate went to cold even though the engine was still warm. Got the new pump in and everything seems to be doing great with it.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I had my water pump replaced on my 2012 Cruze because it was leaking. I was hoping this would take care of my coolant smell issue that I have inside and outside the vehicle but it has not. Oh well, just glad that the water pump was replaced before I lost a lot of coolant. My dealership has been great.

·
Administrator
25,118 Posts
It sounds like you found a "keeper" of a dealership. The found the problem and also checked for any outstanding recalls and are taking care of both.

·
Administrator
25,118 Posts
They're on the third design for the Cruze water pump, so yes, Chevy is aware of the issues and they're tired of paying for replacements.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Like my mom always used to say, "If you do it right the first time". Just a thought Chevy!
It was done right the first time - none of the Korean-built or Australian-built Cruzen have shown this problem.

It's entirely trhe faultof GM/Chevrolet in the USA forgetting the basic maxim "If It Ain't Broke, Don't Fix It."

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have a 2011 lt with about 27k miles on it. What should I be looking for to know if I have an issue with my water pump? I likely won't be able to tell if there's a leak because I live in MI and the ground is completely covered in sludge.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
Like my mom always used to say, "If you do it right the first time". Just a thought Chevy!
There's another quote that comes to mind: "Sweating the Details" I don't think the Chevy folks here have "broke a sweat" yet.

·
Super Moderator
5,528 Posts
Surge tank level will drop indicating coolant loss.

You may see steam vapors after shutoff or smell a sweet odor.

Otherwise, maybe look on the ground before and after parking say, at a shopping center for wet spots.
I remind you to look before walking away so you don't blame your car for the last guys leakage.

Rob

·
Premium Member
906 Posts
2012 checking in here, I had my water pump replaced at 51k.. With working at a dealership and seeing what goes on the fact that you have found one that is going above and beyond if I were you I would never leave them!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same thing happened to my Cruz. Suddenly no heat, then while driving a message was displayed in the instrument panel - the A/C was automatically shut off because of engine heating up. Made no sense to me. It's minus 29 degrees. Called the dealership, taking the car in on Monday.

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
G.M. mantra: If it ain't broke, see what can be done to make it cheaper.

Rob
...or, as these famous people might have put it:

• Forrest Gump: "...CHEAP is as CHEAP does..."

Albert Einstein: "...make things as simple as possible, but not simpler..."

·
Premium Member
4,645 Posts
Same thing happened to my Cruz. Suddenly no heat, then while driving a message was displayed in the instrument panel - the A/C was automatically shut off because of engine heating up. Made no sense to me. It's minus 29 degrees. Called the dealership, taking the car in on Monday.
Sounds like a standard message, got the same one in my Vette when the coolant went low (bad rad cap releasing water vapor). As soon as enough air gets into the system the water pump cavitates and stops pumping coolant, then overheat quickly after.

Don't worry, your AC wasn't running at -29. AC will stop working automatically at just above freezing.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts