1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Specs:
2012 Chevy Cruze L4 1.4L Turbo
197k miles (almost 200k woo)
If you all need anything else ask I feel like I know the majority of this car like the back of my hand.

The title doesn't really do this much justice, but I'll explain below. Sorry for the long post in advance.

Well, firstly my father and I took on the job of replacing the clutch, pressure plate, and flywheel. We aren't auto repair professionals by any means but I'd consider us pretty capable. Anyways, we decided it'd be easier to access the clutch by taking the engine out instead of dropping the subframe/transmission. It took us about 5-6 hours to get the engine out. Had to wait 2 days for parts, and once we had everything in we started the process of putting everything back in. Honestly everything went pretty smooth except for a few bumps. For example, a little scare with forgetting to disconnect the O2 sensor when removing the engine from it's bay (stretched that sucker quite a bit but nothing snapped or looked broken). We got everything connected after a bit of trial and error. And then the confusion began...

Next, after taking it for a test drive we discovered a few faults. I won't be going through them as they're not important just yet, since we thought we fixed the issues shortly after getting back from the drive. The next morning I went on two more test drives alone all without any faults, no engine lights. Everything looked good, so I made a 6 hour drive to Missouri. Went to bed that night happy to having made it there without issues... But that wouldn't last.

Here I am the next day and I prepare to take a drive to a local lake to go fishing, but instead after not even driving out of my parking lot the engine power reduces/stabilittrack errors return (they were present in the initial test drives). I manage to get the car back home all I had to do was let it roll back down the hill lol. Turns out my CV axle is completely busted and grease has shot everywhere (this could be completely unrelated and coincidental, but it scared the snot outta me so it's worth mentioning) I'm getting 8 new lovely faults that won't go away regardless of what I do. They are listed in the following order on my OBD2 sensor: P0030, P112C, P2227, P0237, P0135, P0134, P0132, P0068. Many of these faults stand out to me. First there's several related to the O2 sensor, so I'll probably replace that, there's one related to the turbo boost sensor. Another related to the IAT sensor #3, and a throttle body fault which would explain the engine power reduced. My question is not should I replace these parts or not because I am and I'll return them if it doesn't fix the issue (thanks amazon) but does it make sense for everything to go out like this at once? Could it be a short? Maybe we didn't get our grounds all hooked up, or maybe the wiring harness has just went haywire. Could my computer be going bad. Who's to know, but I'd appreciate some help brainstorming. Any thoughts are welcome, specs will be at the top.

·
Registered
2nd 2012 1.8l mt 147000km
250 Posts
So this problem only surfaced after the clutch job?

For all those codes, I'd do a visual and physical inspection of the wire loom. Along with double checking all the sensor connectors.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll do that. I will note my dad thought putting conductive grease on every plug possible would be a great idea, so maybe that could be causing a short somewhere if there were too much but once I get the chance to look at it a bit letting I'll let you know.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Checked fuse box for dead fuses. Cleaned the conductive grease up. Made sure all grounds were accounted for. Made sure numbered hot wires on battery were accounted for. Honestly not sure what else to check. There may be a short on some big gauge wires I saw running along the engine but not sure. I'll check it out later tonight

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No short on the wires mentioned above, but I put some electrical tape on the for good measure. Checked the connectors for the computer as well. There's two plugs under the battery box I haven't checked but I'll do that early tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For some positive news. I've discovered from another post on here that the o2 sensor harness and the turbo boost sensor harness have the exact same plug, but the housing for the plugs are different. The square housing is for the o2 sensor and the oval housing is for the turbo boost sensor. I had them swapped. Correcting the orientation of the plugs got rid of my O2 sensor faults. But since the o2 has a 12v plug while the turbo sensor has a 5v plug, it probably fried the turbo boost sensor. I've got another one coming in tomorrow. For now these are the remaining errors I have.

P0068 - throttle body air flow performance
P112C - intake air temp sensor 3 circuit low voltage
P0236 - turbocharger boost sensor performance
P0237 - turbocharger boost sensor circuit low voltage

It could be that getting a new turbo boost sensor will fix this. But I've noticed what is either a vacuum leak or short through my windshield wipers. Last night during a test drive they would slowly rise on their own although the knob was in the off position, and when I turned my high beams on it only made it worse, they would go up and down as if the knob was on but again, it wasn't.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts