Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is an article in the Feb. 2013 Techlink that discusses issues with the GM GlobalA network and the DLC. This article also points to aftermarket devices and how they can interfere with the CAN bus. I am posting this as a source of information for those who may be adding things to a Cruze. Not saying you shouldn', but this article gives one food for thought.

Multiple Conditions Caused by Aftermarket Devices
Plugged into the Data Link Connector

http://sandyblogs.com/techlink/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/February-Techlink-2013.pdf

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
Unfortunately, GM can NOT seem to follow rules, because, per SAE, the OBD-II CAN connection is supposed to be a 'fault-free' connection, meaning whatever someone hangs onto it is NOT supposed to affect the rest of the vehicle.

When you take shortcuts, you get unintended consequences...as GM is finding out. This is *why* the ScanGauge-II has problems on the 2011 Cruzes, ie: it's a non-stand OBD-II CAN operation, and why GM made changes with the 2012 and 2013 vehicles...and did new programming!

·
Registered
481 Posts
this must be why my oil live monitor is not working properly, i got a scan gauge 2 plugged in.

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hence, the need for Service Packs" for older cars. It would appear that each manufacturer has created their own CAN bus architecture with their own proprietary software to interface with that bus. I think the author is saying that anything connected to the DLC or the bus could cause issues with the rest of the system. Aftermarket devices, such as radios, lighting, or anything else that connected to the bus, are wreaking havoc on lots of different makes of cars. The point here is that any "non-GM" component may cause the types of problems listed in the article.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.