Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2016 Cruze limited that I purchased new in March of this year. At 10K miles, and within 3 days, it blew both high beam headlights. I didn't think much of it and thought maybe bad bulbs. Well at 21K, it again blew both bulbs again within a few days of each other. I took it too the stealership, and they said they couldn't find a problem, but I had already replaced the bulbs again, but this time I put in Silverstars. Well, 33 days later, both of the silverstars on blown, Talked to one dealership, and they turned me away because I did not purchase the car from them, which is not right. so I called GM corp, and they directed me to another dealership... I myself think the car has a bad BCM. the headlights do dim when you come to a complete stop for a quick second. and not to mention the front brakes have been redone twice now... coincidentally, at almost the same time the headlights have blown. Right front pads were gone, but all others were fine.... and it does not pull to that direction. GM replaced the brake control module @ 23K but it is still burning up the brakes...

I am thinking I got a lemon!

what do you guys think? This is my first Cruze.... and will prob. be my last GM product...

·
Super Moderator
7,804 Posts
Silverstars are notorious for burning out fast.

Driving on rough roads will cause headlights to fail.

BTW You dont even remotely have a lemon. Please buy a VW next time and let us know what a lemon is. ;-)

Reactions: sparkman

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,486 Posts
I'd test voltage at the headlight pigtails. Silver stars burn out fast, but even putting 30k a year on a car, I had em last at least a year (and high beams rarely if ever burn out).

Brake pads in that short mileage - something HAS to be dragging.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
There's only two ways to burn out a bulb - high voltage or vibration. The Cruze can get up to 15.4V under normal operation. That might be a tad higher than what the bulbs are built for. (14.4V is more common). As for vibration, make sure the headlight housing is firmly bolted in so it's not vibrating separate from the car.

Aside from voltage or vibration, there just isn't much the car can do to shorten the life of your bulbs. 2016 is recent enough that I don't think the negative battery cable issue applies to you. You might want to switch your DIC to displaying the voltage and keeping an eye on that.

You might want to look for bulbs that advertise as "tougher" rather then brighter. Or at the very least go with name brand OEM type rather than anything "super".

·
Super Moderator
5,171 Posts
Brake pads in that short mileage - something HAS to be dragging.
I had a dragging caliper that wore my pads out in 30K. Gave my Eco @ 25 MPG. After I changed the pads and bled the system no more problems.

·
Premium Member
5,638 Posts
If a Certified GM Dealer turns you away from any Warranty work because you didn't purchase the Car at that location, this is a serious violation of their Franchise agreement. Whether they just accept your car and park it, or claim a problem can't be located is another story. I would hope you follow up with the proper channels

1 - 6 of 6 Posts