Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, I know I'm late to the party on this subject, but here goes. When the oil related recall was issued last summer, I refused it because I do my own oil changes and I installed an aftermarket drain plug with a short spigot that can direct the oil where I want it. The dealer told me that was fine but I was now responsible if a fire were to start. I agreed.

This past April on my way to Florida, I received a flat tire in rural South Carolina. The local dealership took it upon themselves to cut into the panel without asking me. I called Chevy Customer Service and I was told the dealership was right to perform the recall without my consent. I mentioned that if it was mandatory, why did my dealership give me the option to refuse? I was then told that that was the wrong approach from my dealership to give me the choice. Since then, however, many other people have told me they refused the recall with no issues, they just had to sign a legal document of some sort absolving GM of responsibility. I really don't want to make trouble for Chevy, GM or the dealership in South Carolina, unless I have to. I do, however want an uncut under panel. It smooths out the airflow, but more importantly, it is a shield from saltwater (I live in the north). Also, every time I'm under my car, I cut my arms on the jagged edges.

My questions are: a.) Do they still manufacture the panel in question that they have been cutting up? b.) If not, any suggestions where would I look for one uncut off the secondary market? c.) Are they manufacturing a new piece with a larger opening than the original, but smaller than the huge section that they've been cutting out? d.) Can someone say with certainty what the correct procedure is for declining these recalls? Was the South Carolina dealership right to perform it without my consent? Or are my friends and home dealership right in saying that I had the right to refuse it as long as I take ownership of the consequences?

This is a big deal to me as I would like to minimize the rust under the car and winter will be here before we know it.

·
Registered
718 Posts
It's your car. You can refuse the safety recall and they will make you sign a waiver.

The one spot to be careful with is that insurance will not cover a fire because of that recall not being performed.

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
IIRC the Buick Verano uses the same shield. The part number should be around here somewhere.

From what I understand, a dealer is legally obligated to carry out a recall on your car when it shows up unless you opt out.

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
I suspect Chevy dealers are being extra cautious on this recall because one dealership got fined by the NHTSA for failing to do the recall before delivering a Cruze to a customer.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I suspect Chevy dealers are being extra cautious on this recall because one dealership got fined by the NHTSA for failing to do the recall before delivering a Cruze to a customer.
That's a totally different situation. The dealership is required by law (and the dealer agreement) to perform any outstanding recalls on stock units before delivery.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
If I ever need dealer service to work on mine Ill be sure to remove my whole shield so even if they attempted to preform the recall there would be no shield to cut. Wonder what theyd do with that. Maybe theyd put my car down as recall preformed so they would get payed.

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
That's a totally different situation. The dealership is required by law (and the dealer agreement) to perform any outstanding recalls on stock units before delivery.
While true, the very fact that a dealership was fined for not doing this recall will make them all overly cautious about doing it. This is unfortunately the way the US operates - lowest common denominator according to our legal system.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.