Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I noticed my engine coolant temp was not hitting the mid mark on the gauge anymore and my mileage went down. I popped the hood and noticed my rad fan was on low speed. Coolant levels are fine and a/c and heat is off. When I start the car in this sold weather the fan will kick in about 1 mile down the road and not shutoff. Only on LOW speed. What gives??? No codes BTW.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you, I did not know that. I will look for the high fan fuse. I suppose it is in the fuse dist block in engine bay?

·
Premium Member
7,900 Posts
Need to clarify is the fan running at high speed (noisy), or running at low speed (you'd never notice it while moving).

It might be running at low speed depending on the settings you've got on the heater. I believe the A/C comes on if you select floor vents. (To help dry the air.) That can cause the fan to come on low.

·
Administrator
25,195 Posts
Do you have the automatic HVAC system where you set the temperature and leave it or the manual version where you have to set both the fan speed and temperature. We've had reports over the years of the automatic system running the cooling fan to help defrost the windshield even when "off".

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Obermd, I have two dials to manually set temp and fan speed. I purchsed this car new in 2014. Never had this issue, the only reason I noticed is because my temps do not go to the halfway mark and my mileage went down about 3mpg.

·
Administrator
25,195 Posts
Hi Obermd, I have two dials to manually set temp and fan speed. I purchsed this car new in 2014. Never had this issue, the only reason I noticed is because my temps do not go to the halfway mark and my mileage went down about 3mpg.
You're car is sitting in open loop (3 mpg). What does the external temperature sensor read? I'm guessing -40.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well this is strange. I hooked up my trusty bluetooth OBDII reader and the lights lit up and then only the red light stayed lit, thats it. My torque app cant connect. I got my GF's bluetooth reader and the same thing. I have been using both for a few years so I know how to use them. WTF? This is is with either Ign on and also tried with engine running. I mde sure the device was fully seated.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey guys, got a better obdII scanner and this is what I found...

Ambient air temp is reading 42deg F, which is about right.
Radiator coolant temp was reading 66deg F at the time , I did not get it to operating temps though.

With heater on the A/C request Signal is ON, sounds right?
so is the A/C comp clutch relay.

when heat is off both turn off.

thanks for your help

·
Registered
492 Posts
Mine does this, heck I though it was normal. Fan is almost always on Low speed after starting a drive unless in the hot summer it bumps to high. You can hear it with windows down or when pulling into garage. (Although my temps go to the middle mark on the gauge)

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok. Dove car for 10.miles. radiator temp sensor says it is 79 deg F. Engine oil is 203 deg F. Seems to me my rad sensor took a ****

1 - 17 of 17 Posts