Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cracked an 86 Dodge Colt Turbo 1.6 just miles from where I live now. What is to be expected in extreme hot weather with the CRUZE. I have read that some systems like the A/C might power down on the CRUZE in temperatures that approach 100 degrees. It stays in the 100's for a couple months here day and night. I know our Turbo is water cooled which is a good thing but a 1.4, especially Turbo must get really hot? The Engine must get red hot?

·
Premium Member
25,595 Posts
I didn't have any problems during our 100 degree heat wave last summer. It does take longer to cool the car's interior though. My car is black inside and out so it looks for heat to soak up. We have several members in Arizona and Texas and they haven't had issues other than slow initial cooling. The A/C definitely works better while the car is moving, though.

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
I didn't have any problems during our 100 degree heat wave last summer. It does take longer to cool the car's interior though. My car is black inside and out so it looks for heat to soak up.
Get an IR window film for all the glass in your car including your windshield.

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
IIRC, the ECM is going to try to limit the water temperature to a max. of 226 degrees F for best performance and mileage. Depending on how you drive, it can do different things to try to limit the heat input to the cooling system. Turning off the AC is one of the options it will likely take. It will also alter the timing and fuel input of the engine in an effort to keep control of the coolant temperature. Prior posts here have indicated that using higher octane fuel will help when things get over 90 degrees outside. The IR reflective window tint is a good suggestion to help keep the car cooler for when you get in it. I'd also get a reflective windshield screen to put in the car when it's parked. I'd stay away from a car cover though. My Brother-In-Law kept his new Escape under one last summer (we don't see temps above 100 here very often) and now all of the vinyl is sticky and off-gassing so badly that all of the glass is covered in sticky slime, as well as everything else inside the car. A garage or carport would help a bunch also.

Reactions: Zenturi and obermd

·
Registered
246 Posts
Don't know about the cruze, but I know GM vehicles with LS V8's turn the A/C off via PCM when at WOT.

·
Premium Member
5,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
That's what I'm afraid of. It gets even hotter in my 'Garage'. I have read some of what is posted above in the manual too and it made me gasp as I'm not kidding about the over 100 temps. I did ask both Dealers and this did not seem to be much of a concern in the area?
Don't know about the cruze, but I know GM vehicles with LS V8's turn the A/C off via PCM when at WOT.
Yes, I've heard that as well, and it isn't comforting either? Any other hot weather Turbo CRUZE owners feel free to chime in!

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I don't see any problems i put my car threw a 100 degree torture test last summer.A lot of WOT runs commanding full power with a aggressive 93 octane Vtune.I also had the AC on and the ECM was commanding 20 to 21 psi boost.All the numbers looked real good and the engine was making full power.The coolant system and Inter cooler are very capable of keeping numbers in check.What you will notice if the car is parked and shut right off the cooling fan may come on.This is part of the ECM Programing to cool the turbo after engine shut down in very hot weather.I do sugjest the use of 91 or 93 octane fuel in hot weather with stock programing to.

·
Premium Member
5,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There is a big difference from 100 and 130 degrees & that is what's worrisome? You have to experience it to understand. You mentioned shutting a hot turbo off, isn't that what can fry a turbo or is it different with a water cooled turbo. When the fan comes on, can you hear what sounds like a fan & a water gurgle sound around the Drivers headlight area?

·
Premium Member
4,147 Posts
I had 117F outside temperature the first year I bought my diesel and engine temp was normal (89C) and A/C worked brilliantly. My tinted windows helped as I have black leather interior. I have not heard of any problems with any model Cruze in the Australian summer. A few years ago it was common to see overheated cars on the side of the road but now it is rare and usually an older car.

·
Registered
206 Posts
American automakers are usually pretty diligent at engineering vehicles that can function in hot weather. They know that their product will be sold in Texas and Arizona. Watch this summer for the annual "spy photography" of test mules in Death Valley. Vehicles are pushed to logical limits, before being sold to the public.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Never any issue in heat with my '12. I will say with the manual trans and A/C on high, the car becomes much easier to stall.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,598 Posts
Nothing glows red hot. The Cruze uses an electronic thermostat and tends to run cooler in the summer. If more cooling is needed, for high load situations, knocking, etc, it will open that thermostat fully and the engine will cool right down into the 190 deg range.

The radiator is hugely oversized for the small engine, and the reserve cooling capacity is great - even pulling a long grade with the AC on last summer, I saw the engine coolant temp continue to drop for the reasons mentioned above.

Like many other small-engined cars I've had, the AC on full blast does create a lot of drag on the engine, so expect a small performance hit under 3000 RPM. You've driven it already with the AC on - so you know what it drives like. Flooring the gas pedal will cut out the AC compressor temporarily for maximum power - the car assumes if you're flooring it, you're trying to merge or the the heck out of the way of something, so it'll give you all it's got. Once you let up on the gas, the compressor turns back on. Many 4-cylinder cars going all the way back to the 1980's do this, the Cruze isn't the first and it isn't the last.

93 octane is essential on any turbocharged engine in very hot temperatures; with gasoline with lower knock resistance, the cars will dial back timing and performance goes down the drain to protect the engine from destroying itself.

Hope you don't have a dark-colored car though. Had a dark blue car before the Cruze and my Cruze is black. Opening the door after the car has been sitting is brutal even in 100 deg temps. I think I'm going to put a thermometer in my car this summer and see what it gets up to. Once the AC gets going and cools the car down though, it'll keep the inside of the car quite cold, even on a 105 degree day we had.

·
Premium Member
5,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
93 octane is essential on any turbocharged engine in very hot temperatures; with gasoline with lower knock resistance, the cars will dial back timing and performance goes down the drain to protect the engine from destroying itself.

Hope you don't have a dark-colored car though. Had a dark blue car before the Cruze and my Cruze is black. Opening the door after the car has been sitting is brutal even in 100 deg temps. I think I'm going to put a thermometer in my car this summer and see what it gets up to. Once the AC gets going and cools the car down though, it'll keep the inside of the car quite cold, even on a 105 degree day we had.
I have a problem then as 93 is not sold in this area of the Country. I will use 91 or 93 if I can find it but I did not know it made this drastic difference? Thanks for your reply, very interesting, all of them! My last Car was dark Blue, looked Black. The CRUZE is that medium Blue but would still sizzle too!

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,272 Posts
Hay Eddy at 131 degrees Fahrenheit you are going to be Hot Hot Hot with no relief from the desert Heat .
Have fun. ..

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,598 Posts
91 works too. I think they lower the rated octane grades there because of the heat?

But yes, it will make a very drastic difference on power delivery on this motor.

·
Premium Member
6,915 Posts
A question for You gentlemen. . . Would changing the fuel make a difference in any weather. .. as in run 91/93 all the time
Sure it could make a difference, but more so when it hot outside(above 80F). Running 91/93 premium in the winter I saw little difference in how the car ran or my MPG. I still run 89 octane midgrade in the winter though, seems a bit more responsive than 87 octane regular even when cold out.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts