Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

It's CONFIRMED!!! US Cruze Diesel To Arrive On Lots Late April!!

15019 79
Text Font Line Parallel Document

I can't make this picture any bigger! On other threads I can html code it in and make a beautiful picture but on this site I cannot. It says that on March 13th 2013 you can walk into your dealership and order a diesel Cruze how you see fit. Then on April 22nd the Cruze's will be released from the factory and on their way to lots all over America!! I work at a Chevy dealer so I was able to get this little tid bit of info and thought I would share! :)

If you can't read this picture you can try this link too: http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g78/courierboy/scan.jpg
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

· Registered
1,133 Posts
I've heard a lot about this diesel Cruze but I'm afraid it might be a tough sell. Of course, this will depend on your diesel prices, so I can only speak for NY. But diesel has gotten very expense and I'm not convinced its worth premium price. I guess time will tell.

The good news hear is that GM is branching out. Which means that they are one of only a few companies to bring diesel compacts to the US.

· Premium Member
24,131 Posts
I agree with giantsnation. In Denver diesel is anywhere from 70 cents to a dollar more per gallon than 91 octane gas. The diesel had better get a heck of a lot better MPG than the gas ECO trims to make it economical.

· Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree with giantsnation. In Denver diesel is anywhere from 70 cents to a dollar more per gallon than 91 octane gas. The diesel had better get a heck of a lot better MPG than the gas ECO trims to make it economical.
Our GM rep told us in a meeting last week when asked about this: "Well, I cannot agree or disagree that a projected highway rating of 52 MPG is in the works so we will have to wait and see." Could he have been bluffing? Sure. To me as a ECO owner myself, if it got low 50's I would trade out of mine and take the plunge. I drive roughly 60K a year for my part time job. Back in the day it was a full time gig and I averaged 100K-130K a year. I drove a 02 Jetta TDI. That car always gave me high 40's and low 50's in the summer and 39-44 in the winter. Sadly my gas ECO has matched my old Jetta in the summer time heat but now that we are in the single digits to 50 degrees Fahrenheit out my economy has plunged to the high 20's low 30's. Every once in a while we will have a heat wave here in central US and I will notice an immediate improvement. Then two days later the temp plunges and so does my fuel economy. My TDI hated the blend of #1 diesel fuel but it could care less of the temp. My gas engine loves the heat. The hotter the more she sips the fuel. So...If this ECO diesel can give low 50's, run forever like my TDI did (traded it in for my Cruze with 540K original engine & tranny) I will be first up in line to take ownership! Well....provided it has a manual option. I will NOT settle on an automatic!

I'm sorry to hear about 70 cents to a dollar more than premium cost of diesel!! That's insane! Here in Omaha, NE today Premium fuel is $3.65 and diesel is $3.89. The cheap unleaded is $3.14.

· Registered
1,133 Posts
Again, this will verify state to state but lets look at this a little closer. Have a look at Miles Per Dollar.

In my area, 93 octane is $3.71 a gallon - or .27 gallons per dollar. If I look at the miles per dollar, that would equate to 9.43 mp$ (using an avg. of 35mpg on my 6 speed ECO). So how would a diesel Cruze stack up. Tough to say as official MPG numbers are not out but lets assume 45mpg average at $4.10 a gallon. This works out to 10.98 miles per dollar.

What does this all mean? If the ECO and Diesel were the exact same purchase price, then the Diesel is worth it. It gets 1.55 miles better per dollar.

As if I'm not assuming enough, lets not forget (assume) the maintenance costs which will definitely be higher on the diesel version (research AdBlue urea emission control system).

· Premium Member
5,048 Posts
If the Eco-D gets 52 mpg highway, most of us who drive mostly highway can beat that by 10-15%. So 58-60 mpg highway. Although it would likely be the same to operate as my Eco MT since premium unleaded is $3.85 while diesel is $4.25. I average about 44 mpg. Assuming 55 mpg for me, 32k miles a year, and current fuel prices, I'd save $300/year with the Eco-D. Whether the extra maintenance and/or price premium would eat into that is a guess at this point.

I'd love to take it for a test-drive, though!

Reactions: brianguy1979

· Premium Member
6,727 Posts
Don't forget the diesel engine will be sold at a $1500 dollar or more premium over the gas engine so that should also be figured into any fuel savings.

Diesel engines are build much stronger(heavier) than gas engines to withstand the much higher compression. This means the average diesel engine will last more than twice as long as a gas engine so any extra maintenance costs usually equals out.

· Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Diesel engines are build much stronger(heavier) than gas engines to withstand the much higher compression. This means the average diesel engine will last more than twice as long as a gas engine so any extra maintenance costs usually equals out.

One of the reasons why a diesel excites me so much! Being that I drive 60K a year I'd like for it to still be running when I pay it off! I also do a lot of idling with my courier job and sometimes overnight sleeping in the car. Gas engines don't care to be idled for long periods of time. My old TDI Jetta would idle for 8 hours sometimes keeping me warm while I slept waiting for the company I was delivering to would open. I've done it twice in my ECO Cruze and woke up missing a quarter tank of fuel where as my Jetta I could barley tell the needle had fallen from full. This car will be perfect for my needs if it truly can knock out 50's per gallon!

I dumped the TDI for the Cruze back in June because with 540K on it some expensive items were coming up.... original turbo was about shot, original injection pump was running on its last leg...the 9th timing belt job was nearing....tires were shot.....I was ready for something new and since I worked at a Chevy dealership it was the perfect car. The German car was insanely high to maintain. Anytime something broke I paid double to fix it for parts and 30% more in labor. I think the Cruze will me much cheaper to maintain that the VW version and with as anal as I am to maintenance I'm sure it will serve me wonderfully for years to come!

· Premium Member
6,727 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about 70 cents to a dollar more than premium cost of diesel!! That's insane! Here in Omaha, NE today Premium fuel is $3.65 and diesel is $3.89. The cheap unleaded is $3.14.
Your prices are very close to what they are here in Wisconsin. 87octane like diesel is usually with a few cents a gallon difference at every station, the same can not be said for premium gas(which the cruze 1.4T loves).

I use the map at the link below to find the cheapest top tier gas station I will be near every time I fill up, I see 30-75cents difference even in the same city for premium. USA National Gas Price Heat Map - GasBuddy.com

· Premium Member
3,857 Posts

· Epic Beard Man
5,351 Posts
I'm very excited for this, and I may go take a test drive if I can too. It's what originally drew me to the Cruze because I'm a diesel nut too. Nothing like the smell of cold diesel in the morning...

Reactions: brianguy1979

· Premium Member
823 Posts
I'm just waiting to see if they stuck with the 2.0 or if the rumored "being developed" 1.7 variant will be used & what kind of REAL mpg numbers are produced. If it ends up being Eco enuf, watch out for me adding propane injection when it becomes available too!

· Premium Member
3,904 Posts
I'm very excited for this, and I may go take a test drive if I can too. It's what originally drew me to the Cruze because I'm a diesel nut too. Nothing like the smell of cold diesel in the morning...
You are going to be disappointed then as there is no smell. The economy is good but mine weighs 3395 pounds US and traveling at highway speeds with 4 adults and holiday luggage we got 35 US mpg. This included some mountains 50% and climate control on all the time. The car is a 6 speed automatic. I was driving normally not trying to get the best economy just enjoying the way the car is effortless climbing mountains and overtaking heavy vehicles. If you were a lone driver and not have the air con on I am sure this could be improved quite a lot. Also car had only 2,000km up when we started the trip. The performance is good enough to make using extra fuel worth it, although I think I will have to wait until about 10,000km before it gives it's best. Cheers, hope GM USA finds a bit more economy for your diesel.

· Registered
51 Posts
I believe it's confirmed - 2.0 turbodiesel
I have also been told that it is the 2.0L diesel. Even if the diesel is more $$ to get into, think about the low end torque for launching the car. For me personally, that is where the Cruze disappoints me. Yes I have a stick, and it does move if you put your foot into it, but my driving style is more conservative - now. I would really like some more torque in this car to launch it. Regarding fuel prices, down in TX last month, I saw diesel priced a dime more than regular unleaded. But it varies depending upon what state and what city you are in.

· Registered
474 Posts
The diesel looks sweet only downfall is most all new diesel have diesel particulate filterand the after treatment, also with that u need to add the DEF fluid for emission ,but cars would be very nice to drive

DEF Overview - discover Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF)

1 - 20 of 80 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.