Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
1,088 Posts
DEF has a limited shelf life and it's dependent on stowage temperature. I only had to buy one container so far and was not happy that there was no data for expiration nor manufacture date on the package. Given the potential expensive repairs possible, maybe the cheapest way to try and fix this is to extract the DEF and fill with fresh fluid? Hope it's not any worse than that. Do keep us posted on how you correct this problem.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

· Registered
1,088 Posts
On the Cummins forums several had excessive use with DEF that had been sitting around in high temperatures. It can be an issue, that said, some faulty sensor would also not surprise me.. but the correlation to recent DEF add and this condition is certainly suspect as to a fluid problem.

· Registered
1,088 Posts
did you even read what you linked?

rofl
Yes, what is your point? A guy fills DEF and gets poor DEF warning, like OP... How's that not relevant? If poor DEF was not a possibility why does the car even monitor for this? As an engineer, it's clear this was an anticipated problem, hence the system to monitor quality.

· Registered
1,088 Posts
Are you sure it doesn't look like water??

· Registered
1,088 Posts
It monitors the ability of the DEF injection with SCR to remove NOx. If it's not performing as expected, you get poor DEF quality message. As DEF degrades over time, it breaks down and more is required to remove NOx, eventually it can get to a point where it is not sufficient, thus thee message and warning, and reduced power. Part of that is regulatory compliance with EPA emissions. To say it doesn't happen because you've not specifically seen it is annectotal. It may be rare, but clearly it can happen.

· Registered
1,088 Posts
I had this countdown come on about 5000 miles after the recall. I put the car in manual mode and drove at high RPMS at WOT for a while. After about 30 miles, the warning cleared. I topped up with fresh DEF too. The issue has not returned in about 1200-1500 miles.

I think this may be a residual of the recall, but not sure. If you don't mind, can you post this info in the P11DC thread, but only if you've had the recall done. You would now be the second to get the speed limit warning post-recall.
According to his earlier post they did the recall..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.