Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
October 2nd is National Name Your Car Day. If you have been hesitant to name your Cruze, today is the day to finally get it done.

Naming a car is a lot like naming a boat. It's an ancient tradition to name important vessels that you rely on to safely carry you places. Many boats were named for purely logistical reasons, such as informing people which boat they would be boarding. Naming things like cars and boats does not make them a person, but it does recognize that we consider them important to our lives, our happiness and our safety.

In the past, boats were often named after women because they are beautiful and alluring and they attract the attention of men. Boats also have a lot of men bustling around them just like some beautiful women. And, sometimes boats can be aggravating and temperamental to the men paying attention to them. It also might have been easier to get a crew for a ship that was named after a beautiful woman.

When cars started to become important in our lives, it was only natural to start naming them for many of the same reasons.

I found an article that referenced a study of 1,082 people done by Nationwide Insurance. They found that:

• 25 percent of Americans name their cars.
  • 36 percent of drivers between the ages of 18 and 34 do so -- more than any other group.
  • 9 percent of men name their vehicles after an historical figure, while 10 percent name them after a movie character.
  • 26 percent think of their car as female.
  • By far, the most popular car name is "Baby".

Another article by Geico referenced a study that put drivers in self-driving car simulators that got into an unavoidable fender bender. When the car was not anthropomorphized (named), the drivers wanted to punish it for the accident; when the car was given a name, gender and voice, the drivers still rated its competence highly and reported more positive driving experiences in spite of the (simulated) collision. Here is the link to the article: Anthropomorphizing driverless cars: Psychology research into autonomous vehicles.

Shortly after buying my Cruze, I was watching the TV show Royal Pains. There was a character on the show named Libby, and her boyfriend said, "She's a handful, but all the best ones are." That sounded a lot like my new car. And, Libby was a cyberchondriac, which meant that she went online and looked up every possible disease and wondered if she had it. I noticed that a lot of people on CruzeTalk (including me) were reading posts and wondering if they might have the same problems. Some people were even fixing things that weren't broken. So, I named my Cruze Libby.

Have you named your car yet? What did you name it and why?

Edit: Here's a website with car name ideas. http://www.buzzle.com/articles/cool-car-nicknames.html

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have named every car I've ever owned. They have all been named after Presidents: Clinton, Nixon, Roosevelt, Wilson, Pierce. For my new Cruze I broke the pattern slightly and went with Franklin (as in Benjamin). He wasn't a President of the US but was President of Pennsylvania and was a statesman. Plus, the last Cruze was after Franklin Pierce and this Cruze was a sudden, unexpected and rather tragic replacement of Pierce so the name also pays tribute.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Mines Caitlyn, everyone says my car is a little aggressive looking so I should name it a guys name, but I didn't like that idea so I picket Caitlyn cause it's a definite girls name,

plus sometimes I reference the cars balls, and then people say that if it's a girl it doesn't have balls, to that I say Caitlyn Jenner does !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Conservative Acoustic Foam
1,028 Posts
Mine is Tyrone. My friend's teen daughter named it for me. Actually it's name is "Tyroneasaurus", for some reason.

First time I had a heterogametic car.

·
2,170 Posts
'14 white Cruze - Snow White
'13 white Ninja 300 - Walter White
'09 red Cobalt - Coby
'06 black Ninja 250 - Mochi
'03 black Grand Prix - Rosa

Each has had unique imperfections and personality. I've loved them all.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hope that I'm not too late. I named my Cruze Darla Kifflom. Darla because it was a name in my BT when I got it. Kifflom because my brother and brother in law when I first showed them my car kept agreeing that it was Kifflom. Later on I found out that Kifflom was a god from the Epsilon cult in GTA and that cult used a similar shade of blue to that of my car.

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts