Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, my car (2014 1.4 manual) is making the weird buzzing noise after shutdown occasionally. I saw there was a 22 page thread that was last updated last year. I'll be honest, I couldn't force myself to read all 22 pages because I'm at work, I did read the first few and the last few though and it appeared people were still guessing as to the cause.

Has there been an update to this. My dealer was clueless, but searching the net provides hundreds of questions regarding this.

Has there ever been a definitive answer to this? The most common answer is something to do with the HVAC, but I'd like to have a better understanding before I go to the dealer. I still have the remainder of my bumper to bumper (another 6k miles) but if I can't get it to reproduce itself at the dealer I'm afraid they are just going to shrug their shoulders.

Edited - Here is a vid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NDV0kar3Hk

[let me know if it doesn't work, I think it is set to public.]

·
Administrator
25,599 Posts
With as many of these cars that are doing this I suspect this is part of the car's normal cool down after being driven. Mine does it intermittently and it doesn't seem to impact the car in any way.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I've had similar issues with my 2012 Cruze since it's been new. 5 years and 60,000 miles later, and no problems, and I still don't know what module it is.

My module noises under the hood seem to occur after short trips, and then shutting the car off.

The modules in the cruze are not as quiet as a customer would expect. With the hood up, engine off, unlocking and opening doors, closing door, you can hear some type of electrical noise in the engine compartment.

I think your going to have a hard time with a technician attempting to find this, unless you can make it happen while it's in the shop.

If it helps, I've been reading the forums for over 5 years, and I don't believe anyone has replaced electrical modules due to mass failures.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One thing I fear regarding this is battery drain. I live in the north and I fear that if it gets cold enough it could affect the battery, assuming whatever is making the noise is using any great amount of electricity from my battery.

·
Administrator
25,599 Posts
One thing I fear regarding this is battery drain. I live in the north and I fear that if it gets cold enough it could affect the battery, assuming whatever is making the noise is using any great amount of electricity from my battery.
If your battery dies early it's not because of these noises. I've had my Cruze for 5 years and am still on the original battery. I even have the HVAC afterblow turned on which runs the cabin blower after the car's been turned off.

I periodically check by battery by checking the actual voltage prior to starting the car. It's still around 11.9 to 12.1 volts before the engine starts, even after sitting all weekend in the single digit temperatures we had last week.

·
Registered
279 Posts
From what I know this is normal. Mine has done the same thing since new, never had the first issue. I have a 2013 LTZ/RS with 70k miles on it. I never think twice about it, and it only last for a few seconds and then shuts off. I think I was told by my friend, who is a master mechanic at the dealership I use for warranty work, and also owns a Cruze, that it is part of the electronics on the car making the noises. He told me it was normal. I've owned this car over 4 years, and it has never caused me an issue whatsoever.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just read that you can put a 94R in our battery tray... that is awesome.

I own a VW TDI and have an AGM 94R in that, I'm pretty sure I'll be able to start my Cruze at any temp using one of those in my Cruze.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Mine was fixed by programming an HVAC module. It tended to do it after I was running the AC compressor. It hasn't happened since.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Mine was fixed by programming an HVAC module. It tended to do it after I was running the AC compressor. It hasn't happened since.
Very possible that is the problem, but it does not hurt anything by not having it reprogrammed. I've never had to take mine in to the dealer for anything. If and when I do, I will have that checked.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Unfortunately I don't have a TSB number. I had it fixed about 2 weeks after I bought the car because my Dad is a GM tech and he looked it up. It should be pretty easy for them to look up. The fix was to reprogram something with the HVAC.

Reactions: belome

·
Super Moderator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
9,919 Posts
http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/36-gen1-audio-electronics/95930-cruze-battery-upgrade-options.html

It appears they have a universal battery tray, and they made it large enough to accommodate the battery the diesel needs.

At least that is the way I read it.
Thanks for the info:

My research shows

2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel 2.0L Turbo Dsl DOHC 4cyl Duralast Platinum Battery, Part Number: H7-AGM:

$206.99 (Core $18.00)
-20%
$165.59

DieHard Gold AGM Automotive Battery - Group Size EP-94R (Price with Exchange)

Regular price $211.99
Your savings - $31.80 (15% off online only - free in store pickup)
$180.19

Interstate Batteries Part # MT5-94R/H7

Sugg Retail Price
$259.95 - $288.95

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I got the battery for my TDI at sams club.

Many people say not to use an AGM in a vehicle not designed for them, but I do it anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts