Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello All,What jack points do you use with an actual floor jack? I ask because when I used the jack points indicated in the manual that part of the car actually started to BEND! So I stopped right away. Pulled out the emergency jack and used that. I don't want to do that anymore but don't know where to place the jack. . . ThanksBy the way, installed 15" Sonic steel wheels with winter tires. (proper size and everything to maintain proper speed and all that). Saved a few hundred dollars by minus sizing the wheels.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So for the zlink, you place the jack right in the middle of car under the zlink? Is that the ball looking thing in the middle? That can support the weight of the car without suffering damage?

I wish I knew more.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Ha, can dig a hole in your backyard and drive over that. But then the DNR will come in and claim that is wet lands, so they won't let you fill it up again.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
haha - the purpose is to change from summer to winter wheels. need to get the wheels off the ground for that.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
If you read your owners manual, suppose to use those little thin tabs with a notch under the rocker panel. I find better spots behind the front wheel suspension points and in front of the rear wheels. And use a piece of carpet on my floor jack to protect the paint.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you read your owners manual, suppose to use those little thin tabs with a notch under the rocker panel. I find better spots behind the front wheel suspension points and in front of the rear wheels. And use a piece of carpet on my floor jack to protect the paint.
If you read my original post I indicated that I read the manual and used the jack points indicated. That is exactly what I did and that is exactly where it started to bend.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,272 Posts
We read yer original post and we already know , that is why we do not do it that way .
But that is a very good question to ask US !

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We read yer original post and we already know , that is why we do not do it that way .
But that is a very good question to ask US !
Did you realize I was responding to his post directing me to read the manual?

The very reason I posed the question here is because I knew I would find the answer here.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,272 Posts
So what was the answer that you sought ?
Or are you still searching for IT ?

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
I lift the front on the unibody frame rails a foot behind the "official" jack point. For the back I slide the jack under the flat spot on the outer edge of the twist beam and lift the car up from there.

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
Ya that zlink is plenty strong to get the car in the air.Just remember not to just jack it up,always use jackstands even if it is just for a minute.

·
Resident Derp
2,805 Posts
Hello All,What jack points do you use with an actual floor jack? I ask because when I used the jack points indicated in the manual that part of the car actually started to BEND! So I stopped right away. Pulled out the emergency jack and used that. I don't want to do that anymore but don't know where to place the jack. . . ThanksBy the way, installed 15" Sonic steel wheels with winter tires. (proper size and everything to maintain proper speed and all that). Saved a few hundred dollars by minus sizing the wheels.
The reason why it bent, is because you used a floor jack, instead of your emergency jack in the trunk. The places where you place your jack have a notch in them, that fits into the emergency jack to help grab the car better, so when you crank it up, it holds onto the car, since the jack doesn't have wheels to adjust the bottom of the jack as your car is raised.

Since you used a flat surface with no grove to jack your car up, you put the weight of the car on the protruding metal tabs, instead of the frame of the car, and thus bent the tabs.

·
Registered
174 Posts
If it is easier for you or you feel more comfortable jacking from the pinch welds (per owners manual) but don't want to use the emergency jack every time, I would reccomend using a hockey puck as a jack pad. Grab one from big 5 or your preferred sporting goods store and notch out the center with a knife. It will provide a cushion for the pinch weld so it doesn't bend on the jack while still allowing you to get the car off the ground.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1 - 14 of 14 Posts