Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've noticed since I got it whenever my car is warmed up to operating temperature, the 2-3 shift (auto) is jerky. The revs don't shoot up or anything it just kinda feels like what I assume sport mode in a tuned cruze would feel like, though mines stock. And it's only the 2-3 shift under light to moderate acceleration. All other transitions are perfectly smooth and quick. Barely feel them. And at WOT they're all fairly jerky so that's normal. Just wandering if this is a normal characteristic of the cruze or if there's something wrong with my trans. It's bad enough that people ask me what that was. In extreme cases it'll cause the passengers head to hit the head rest. Im on 93 octane gas, though I'm sure that doesn't make a difference.

Also, I have a second question. I've noticed in the past few weeks that when I'm cruising down the road at 55 or above, the car surges every 5-10 seconds. I always use cruise control so I feel it. It kinda feels like if you were to have to reseat your foot on the gas pedal so you let off and put it back on real quick. I feel the car lose power for half a second and then pick back up. It's almost like a hiccup. It doesn't register on the speedo at all and the instantaneous mileage doesn't drastically change. But I can feel it. It happens off cruise too. Also, I don't feel it while accelerating. Acceleration is smooth. Again, 93 octane. Any ideas on what this is?

Thanks in advance! Sorry about the long post

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
It would really be hard to say what goes on with out driving it myself.But for one these auto trans do seem a little surgey at times.Again if its normal it would be hard to say.The cruise control will do that some what as it maintains speed.Depending on the road meaning if its flat or going up and down grades.A lot of people prefer having the auto trans tuned they like its feel and Maners better.I prefer the stock trans tune myself.I know its trying to give the driver the best fuel mileage and available power at the same time.Also note the 1.4T engine does feel a little sugey at times tuned or not.Although that is more noticeable trying to run 87 octane in hot weather.All this being said it might be a good idea to have the dealer test drive it and check for codes and see if anything is wrong with the trans

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How many miles?

It would really be hard to say what goes on with out driving it myself.But for one these auto trans do seem a little surgey at times.Again if its normal it would be hard to say.The cruise control will do that some what as it maintains speed.Depending on the road meaning if its flat or going up and down grades.A lot of people prefer having the auto trans tuned they like its feel and Maners better.I prefer the stock trans tune myself.I know its trying to give the driver the best fuel mileage and available power at the same time.Also note the 1.4T engine does feel a little sugey at times tuned or not.Although that is more noticeable trying to run 87 octane in hot weather.All this being said it might be a good idea to have the dealer test drive it and check for codes and see if anything is wrong with the trans
I could take it to the dealer but I doubt they would do anything for me because there are no stored or pending codes. I've had my phone hooked up to the obd port to try to find something that might point to why it's surging. I didn't see anything. It's not knock retard. It does it on 93 octane shell gas at 70 degrees out so I didn't think it was anyways. It's literally just like a hiccup and the only thing that hints to it is what you feel because speed doesn't drop a noticeable amount on the speedo and the instant fuel economy barely changes and there's no change on the tach. It doesn't happen just on cruise either. It happens with steady pedal pressure too.

Also with the trans I was just wandering if any other auto trans cruzen do the same thing? Should I change the fluid? Would that help? Or is it just a characteristic of this trans. (6T40 right?)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have an ultra gauge in my Cruze, during certain uphill climbs I can feel a surge and see the boost vary from 9-12 pounds at times while keeping 55-60 mph. Stop and go traffic 2-3 shifts are jerky and sometimes going downhill slow speeds it revs up like it's in neutral before it engages into gear. I brought to a dealer and found no issues and had trans fluid flushed at 32k miles with no real change. I think it's just a normal thing with these cars.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My 12 has a jerky 2-3 shift as well. Flushed at 33k, slight improvement. Tune makes it more noticeable, but other shifts are more in line with it now. Doesn't seem to bother it much and hasn't changed much over the last 15k, so I don't worry too much about it anymore.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
On light throttle acceleration the 2/3 shift and torque converter lockup occurs simultaniously.
This makes that specific shift feel slightly more abrupt.

Rob

1 - 7 of 7 Posts