Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
2015 Chevrolet Cruze LT 1.4L Turbo
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today I thought I would get off the fence and start a build thread. I apologize, as I have never documented any of my mods previously so, I do not have many pictures. Before I get into my my current mods, I'd like to talk a little bit about my work space. I've heard a lot of people on this forum let a lack of space or a "shop" area detour them from performing moderate/significant modifications to their vehicles. I live in the second story of a duplex home in the city. For those in a similar environment, I wanted to let you know that it can be done.

This is my workspace:

It's basically a concrete pad where a garage once sat.

And this is my tool chest (also on the 2nd story):

Ok. Enough with the boring stuff. On to the mods:

APPEARANCE MODS:
GM issue "TURBO" badge.

PERFORMANCE MODS:
Vermont Tuning E85 Flex Fuel Tune
Injen Cold Air Intake
ZZP Intercooler Package
ZZP Throttle Body Spacer
460cc Deatschwerks Fuel Injectors
Ported Intake Manifold
Mishimoto Oil Catch Can
MSD Ignition Coil
ZZP Downpipe
ZZP Catted Mid Pipe
Magnaflow Stainless Catback Exhaust
ZZP Guage Pod Pillar
Aeroforce Interceptor Scan Guage
Autometer Sport Comp II Boost Guage.

The engine compartment as it sits now:

When the weather gets warmer around May-ish, I plan to start doing the internal engine upgrades on the car.

SPRING MODS:
Diamond Forged Pistons
ZZP Connecting Rods
ZZP Head Studs
ZZP Big Wheel V3 Turbo
ZZP 72 Lbs Valve Springs
ZZP Titanium Valve Spring Retainers
ZZP Wastegate Actuator
OTT Front Transmission Mount
OTT Rear Transmission Mount
MAYBE CAMS IF A CERTAIN COMPANY WILL ACTUALLY SELL THEM

That's all I have for right now. I may post more pictures this afternoon once I take them.

·
Premium Member
2013 Cruze LT
1,901 Posts
Reserved this spot since I'm your favorite person here. Also to follow so I can tune in.

·
Premium Member
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Whoooa, Boring??? -- You had me at tool chest !
Whenever I do go somewhere with more space, I'll need to get a bigger one. It is FULL. I some more things stored behind and around it.

Reserved this spot since I'm your favorite person here. Also to follow so I can tune in.
You are one of my favorite people on here, Thebigzeus. ;)

·
Registered
215 Posts
Sounds like a fun project, JLL. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Surprised you don’t have that Wastegate actuator yet. It was the most noticeable mod I did after a tune intake and downpipe.

·
Premium Member
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Surprised you don’t have that Wastegate actuator yet. It was the most noticeable mod I did after a tune intake and downpipe.
I have the ZZP Wastegate Actuator but I'm going to install it on the new turbo.

Reactions: cruze991

·
Premium Member
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Premium Member
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good luck with the build tho, you should definitely put that thing on a dyno once everything is set.
Thanks.

I plan to. I may even make the 3 hour drive it up to ZZP and have them dyno tune it.

Reactions: Cruzin2011

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Thanks.

I plan to. I may even make the 3 hour drive it up to ZZP and have them dyno tune it.
I’m 99% sure I’m going to go have ZZP do the valve springs and cam... and have an 18 hour drive! Going to wait until spring though, don’t want to get caught in a freak storm or something.

·
Premium Member
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I’m 99% sure I’m going to go have ZZP do the valve springs and cam... and have an 18 hour drive! Going to wait until spring though, don’t want to get caught in a freak storm or something.
Wow....that's a drive. How much did they quote you to do the job?

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Wow....that's a drive. How much did they quote you to do the job?
Just about $1250... I can’t make it to them until spring but I called my local Chevy dealership and the cost is about $300 bucks more to do the same work, of course I’d be supplying the springs, retainers, etc. They are 10 miles away!

ZZP said they can do it in under 5 hours with the tool they designed, Chevy said about 2 days so I’m assuming that is pulling the head off but I’d better check.

·
Premium Member
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just about $1250... I can’t make it to them until spring but I called my local Chevy dealership and the cost is about $300 bucks more to do the same work, of course I’d be supplying the springs, retainers, etc. They are 10 miles away!

ZZP said they can do it in under 5 hours with the tool they designed, Chevy said about 2 days so I’m assuming that is pulling the head off but I’d better check.
Whoa.....for an additional $1200, I'll gladly do the work on my car myself. But I understand not everyone has the time to do that.

Reactions: Thebigzeus

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Whoa.....for an additional $1200, I'll gladly do the work on my car myself. But I understand not everyone has the time to do that.
I can do it as I’ve done them before just not on an overhead cam setup but I watched a video on a cam install on a 1.8 L Cruze and it’s more than I want to tackle in my car port, plus this is my daily driver.

16 valves and 32 very small retainers with the motor in the car doesn’t give me the fuzzies! :)

ZZP’s cam does come with the tool to set the timing which is nice.

Reactions: Blasirl

·
Registered
3 Posts
Today I thought I would get off the fence and start a build thread. I apologize, as I have never documented any of my mods previously so, I do not have many pictures. Before I get into my my current mods, I'd like to talk a little bit about my work space. I've heard a lot of people on this forum let a lack of space or a "shop" area detour them from performing moderate/significant modifications to their vehicles. I live in the second story of a duplex home in the city. For those in a similar environment, I wanted to let you know that it can be done.

This is my workspace:
View attachment 290282

It's basically a concrete pad where a garage once sat.

And this is my tool chest (also on the 2nd story):

View attachment 290283

Ok. Enough with the boring stuff. On to the mods:

APPEARANCE MODS:
GM issue "TURBO" badge.

PERFORMANCE MODS:
Vermont Tuning E85 Flex Fuel Tune
Injen Cold Air Intake
ZZP Intercooler Package
ZZP Throttle Body Spacer
460cc Deatschwerks Fuel Injectors
Ported Intake Manifold
Mishimoto Oil Catch Can
MSD Ignition Coil
ZZP Downpipe
ZZP Catted Mid Pipe
Magnaflow Stainless Catback Exhaust
ZZP Guage Pod Pillar
Aeroforce Interceptor Scan Guage
Autometer Sport Comp II Boost Guage.

The engine compartment as it sits now:

View attachment 290279

View attachment 290281
When the weather gets warmer around May-ish, I plan to start doing the internal engine upgrades on the car.

SPRING MODS:
Diamond Forged Pistons
ZZP Connecting Rods
ZZP Head Studs
ZZP Big Wheel V3 Turbo
ZZP 72 Lbs Valve Springs
ZZP Titanium Valve Spring Retainers
ZZP Wastegate Actuator
OTT Front Transmission Mount
OTT Rear Transmission Mount
MAYBE CAMS IF A CERTAIN COMPANY WILL ACTUALLY SELL THEM

That's all I have for right now. I may post more pictures this afternoon once I take them.
nice build man, a lot of the things you have on right now are on my to do list so I have a couple questions. I have the zzp gauge pod and the exact same boost gauge and throttle body spacer that you have, but I’m having a couple issues installing them. The pod fit in correctly with the gauge but as far as actually connecting the gauge I’m not really sure what to do. I’ve searched up a bunch of videos and I’m just a little confused. Since you have the exact same setup as me, how did you do it exactly?

·
Premium Member
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
nice build man, a lot of the things you have on right now are on my to do list so I have a couple questions. I have the zzp gauge pod and the exact same boost gauge and throttle body spacer that you have, but I’m having a couple issues installing them. The pod fit in correctly with the gauge but as far as actually connecting the gauge I’m not really sure what to do. I’ve searched up a bunch of videos and I’m just a little confused. Since you have the exact same setup as me, how did you do it exactly?
Are you having issues physically connecting the boost line to the guage or the throttle body spacer or both?

Please be as specific as possible.

I connected the boost guage wiring/tubing with the pillar laying on the dash. Then I put the pillar up in the A-pillar with the guages installed and connected into the pillar.

·
Premium Member
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Magnets my friend. Magnets
Yes, I do own a couple of those things... :)

I’m actually not in the best shape to tear into the car for a job like that, I’ve had a bad sleep disorder for 15 years and I was on 6 prescription meds to sleep. About 3 months ago I said enough is enough and I’m tapering off all but one and the last one is kicking my rear. I only have 7 hours of sleep in the last 5 days. I really wish I could have driven the car to ZZP for them to do the work but it just wasn’t feasible.

I’m ordering the springs, titanium retainers and stage one cam tomorrow. I will probably bring it into the Chevy dealership to do the work late next week. Then I’m done!! (At least until I’m not done :) )

I think with the springs and cam it should be into the 200+ whp, Tim thought so also.

I really can’t wait until you start your build! The rods and pistons got me interested.

·
Premium Member
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I’m ordering the springs, titanium retainers and stage one cam tomorrow. I will probably bring it into the Chevy dealership to do the work late next week. Then I’m done!! (At least until I’m not done :) )
I didn't think ZZP was publicly selling cams yet??

1 - 20 of 37 Posts