Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
961 - 980 of 984 Posts

·
COTM Winner
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
6,574 Posts
I asked for a chrome coating like that, but my the shop I use doesn't stock it.
That's interesting because that is basically the most common ceramic coating you see...

·
The Nuclear Option
2015 Chevrolet Cruze LT 1.4L Turbo
5,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #963 ·
That's interesting because that is basically the most common ceramic coating you see...
It might just be the class of coating I'm asking them for. Cerakote only makes variations of Silver, Grey, Black, Copper, and Gold in their V-Series Coatings.

·
COTM Winner
6,574 Posts
It's entirely possible. My super-shiny headers (both the Camaro LT's above and my Cobalt's midlength header) are rated to 1600, but that V-series says 1800.

My local place (which does really, really good work - they're who did both of the above) has a black coating that is rated to 1800, and a Cast-Iron-Gray rated to 1300, so I think it really depends on what is being used.

Either way - if your EGTs are at that level, you're going to have other issues.

·
The Nuclear Option
5,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #965 ·
Either way - if your EGTs are at that level, you're going to have other issues.
Very much so...

But you know me :LOL:

That being said, I'm re-working my downpipe. It didn't want to go through the front transmission mount that I didn't think about. This time I'm working with a very small exhaust shop that will pretty much do anything I request as long as they get paid.

I was talking about exhaust work...

·
The Nuclear Option
5,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #966 ·
UPDATE:

Yesterday I cleaned up some oil that was on the oil pan. I figured it was from up top when I removed the intake (which had some oil in it.)

This morning, some the oil was back. I removed the oil pan and found the culprit. A 1/4" section with no RTV.

Oil Pan:

Bicycle part Tool Wood Metal Auto part

Engine Block:

Wood String instrument Musical instrument Metal Fashion accessory

That explains where my 3/4 quart of oil went over 2,000 miles.

·
The Nuclear Option
5,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #967 ·
ENGINE BUILD STAGE 2: DAY IDK

Today it rained all day. So, I worked on the new fuel pump. My plan was to drill a 43mm hole in the plastic housing. As soon as the drill bit hit the housing, the bottom of the housing grenaded. :oops:

So I filed down the rough edges and installed the pump. Not the prettiest, but it's going to live in the fuel tank.

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive design Bumper Gadget

Electrical wiring Cable Wire Office supplies Slip joint pliers

Table Automotive design Toy Gadget Art

Someone asked to to show this a while back. I think it was @F18D4T or maybe it was @CHEVYCRUZE RS ? I forget.

·
Premium Member
2011 1.4L T LTZ RS
3,193 Posts
ENGINE BUILD STAGE 2: DAY IDK

Today it rained all day. So, I worked on the new fuel pump. My plan was to drill a 43mm hole in the plastic housing. As soon as the drill bit hit the housing, the bottom of the housing grenaded. :oops:

So I filed down the rough edges and installed the pump. Not the prettiest, but it's going to live in the fuel tank.

View attachment 297324

View attachment 297319

View attachment 297320

Someone asked to to show this a while back. I think it was @F18D4T or maybe it was @CHEVYCRUZE RS ? I forget.
Yup , it was me haha, looking sweet man loving the build and coming back everyday to see progress 😍

·
COTM Winner
6,574 Posts
UPDATE:

Today I resealed the oil pan for the 3rd time. We'll see how it goes this time. :LOL:
Third time's the charm! (hopefully)

• Haha
Reactions: Blasirl

·
The Nuclear Option
5,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #971 ·
UPDATE:

I got thing put together enough to do a test fire. In my haste, unbeknownst to me, I forgot to check all my intercooler piping clamps. As a result, the engine wouldn't start with the MAF plugged in. So I unplugged the MAF, to bleed the cooling system and checks for oil/coolant leaks.

There were no oil or coolant leaks. The engine got to normal operating temperature and the cooling fan turned on.....

And there lies the problem. Since one of the intercooler piping clamps weren't tight, one of the silicone couplers were too close to the cooling fan. The fan wore a hole in the silicone coupler and in the process got damaged.

I ordered a new coupler and an aftermarket low profile cooling fan.

16" Mishimoto Cooling Fan

Automotive tire Home appliance Rim Mechanical fan Automotive wheel system

·
The Nuclear Option
5,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #974 ·
UPDATE:

Got the fuel tank dropped today.

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design Asphalt

Here is the fully Fuel Pump Assembly w/ AEM pump and new sending unit ready for installation.

Electrical wiring Gadget Computer hardware Cable Engineering

I tested the fuel pump before installing it into the tank. It worked perfectly.

Automotive tire Asphalt Road surface Gas Flooring

·
COTM Winner
6,574 Posts
Missing a picture there?

·
Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red, 1.4T Auto
13,251 Posts
Spare parts?
I only went back about 6 pages so I probably missed a few...

·
The Nuclear Option
5,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #978 ·
UPDATE:

I got it running. The problem? ME. The MAF sensor mounting holes are not symmetrical as I ASSumed. The MAF sensor bung was welded on backwards and since our MAF sensor is directional, we'll you get the idea. :LOL:

The "end" is in site.

I just have too:
1. Install the Whiteline control arm bushings.
2. Install the new Stabilizer Links.
3. Finish the exhaust.
4. Put the summer wheels on.
5. And Take it's first test drive!

Car Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

·
The Nuclear Option
5,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #979 ·
UPDATE:

I took the control arms out this morning before it got too hot. The ball joints are in good shape. Tomorrow I'm planning to disassemble and press out the bushings.

Grey Silver Wood Wall Bag

·
COTM Winner
2012 Cruze LTZ 1989 StarQuest 2004 TrialBlazer EXT
868 Posts
Glad to se the bushings fit .. it LOL sorry I guess I should have taken the shoulder down a touch more .. but I wanted it to be a tight fit so it was unlikely to pop loose from that point . it doesn't stick out beyond the lower edge of the control arm does it ? and May I also add that I would fill the top of the bushing with silicone to keep moisture out of it to help prevent the corrosion on the bolt . now with any luck you never need to take it apart again but just in case .

961 - 980 of 984 Posts