Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
981 - 1000 of 1031 Posts

·
The Nuclear Option
2015 Chevrolet Cruze LT 1.4L Turbo
5,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #981 ·
Glad to se the bushings fit .. it LOL sorry I guess I should have taken the shoulder down a touch more .. but I wanted it to be a tight fit so it was unlikely to pop loose from that point . it doesn't stick out beyond the lower edge of the control arm does it ?
I'm not quite sure what you mean, as my Cruze does not have rear control arms, it has a beam axel. But here's a picture of what I think you're asking. :LOL:

Water Automotive tire Light Blue Black

·
COTM Winner
2012 Cruze LTZ 1989 StarQuest 2004 TrialBlazer EXT
884 Posts
If you run into any issues let me know. I will hopefully finally be getting to tear my car apart this weekend. I still have some spare stock left from the bushing project so if need be I can redo a set

Reactions: Blasirl and JLL

·
The Nuclear Option
5,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #983 ·
If you run into any issues let me know. I will hopefully finally be getting to tear my car apart this weekend. I still have some spare stock left from the bushing project so if need be I can redo a set
I should be putting the car on the ground sometime next week.

·
The Nuclear Option
5,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #984 ·
UPDATE:

I don't think the AEM Dryflow filter I bought is going to hold very well under power. It deformed after just an hour of run time at idle.

White Light Motor vehicle Black Automotive tire

Therefore I ordered a K&N replacement with almost double the filtering medium area.

Food Rectangle Magenta Gas Cylinder

I also pressed out 1 or the larger control are bushings.

Wood Tire Gas Automotive tire Flooring

·
The Nuclear Option
5,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #985 ·
UPDATE:

It's been a couple weeks since my last update. I abandoned my plan to tie the downpipe into the existing exhaust and have decided to just upgrade the diameter of the whole thing.

Here's my 10 foot piece of pipe 😮

Bicycle Plant Tire Bicycle wheel Wheel

I have a new Magnaflow muffler and resonator on order.

Automotive lighting Microphone Font Auto part Cylinder

Automotive lighting Cylinder Font Rim Auto part

Besides exhaust, the last two weeks have been spent on ECM calibrations to find the right mix of fueling and VVT adjustments to keep the engine running well with the increased airflow. The combination of the longer duration cams, less restrictive exhaust manifold, and larger turbo have played havoc with the fuel air/fuel mixture at lower engine speeds. That's all dialed in now, so I can test drive it and we can move onto boosting conditions in the coming weeks.

·
The Nuclear Option
5,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #987 ·
UPDATE:

I removed the cooling fan. Tomorrow I have an aluminum fan shroud coming so I can mount the new fan and then get to work on fabricating the exhaust. The fan, in combination with the shroud is only ~3.5" thick at it's widest vs. The factory fan assembly that is almost uniformly ~ 5" thick. You can see the profile difference below. ~ 1.5" doesn't seem like much, but with this build it's make it or break it. Literally. :LOL:

Motor vehicle Light Automotive design Automotive fuel system Automotive exterior

OEM Fan

Technical drawing Auto part Drawing Engineering Rim

Mishimoto Slim Fan
Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Automotive design Automotive wheel system Rectangle

Rectangle Dishware Tints and shades Wood Gas

·
COTM Winner
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
6,725 Posts
Hopefully it cools as well as the OEM fan does!

·
The Nuclear Option
5,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #989 ·
UPDATE:

Hopefully it cools as well as the OEM fan does!
@MP81 got me thinking during our stretch of 90 degree weather. I believe that the new cooling fan will cool as well as OEM. But I got to looking at the radiator and realized that it I noticed that it's looking a little beat up. So, I thought I would use this one to upgrade the radiator and add an external transmission cooler since mine doesn't have one.

What came out: OEM Radiator: 31" x 16" x 1"
Wood Road surface Rectangle Mesh Asphalt

What's going in: Griffin Maxcool 31" x 19" x 3"
Output device Rectangle Automotive radiator part Automotive lighting Audio equipment

Russell 15" Transmission Cooler:
Office supplies Cylinder Auto part Font Metal

The open cavity where the radiator once was:
Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive tire Automotive air manifold

I'm hoping I can keep the condenser in place. I going to have to make custom bracket to mount the radiator, condenser, and intercooler to the subframe. I plan to shift those components 3/4" forward to accommodate for the condenser. There should be room to do that. But if I can't do that, I guess the condenser will be removed.

·
COTM Winner
6,725 Posts
The hell happened to your OE radiator? That looks like my Cobalt's after I dropped it (the radiator) on a jack stand (while in the car).

That should be a great upgrade - hopefully you can keep the condenser - losing AC IMO is a bummer.

·
The Nuclear Option
5,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #991 ·
The hell happened to your OE radiator? That looks like my Cobalt's after I dropped it (the radiator) on a jack stand (while in the car).

That should be a great upgrade - hopefully you can keep the condenser - losing AC IMO is a bummer.
The same thing that happened to you. :LOL:

Last year I tried jacking the front of the car up the front of the subframe. The jack rolled and the car slipped. I didn't think it cause any damage but it turns out it did.

I've never owned a car without functional A/C so, not having A/C would suck June - August.

·
COTM Winner
6,725 Posts
The same thing that happened to you. :LOL:

Last year I tried jacking the front of the car up the front of the subframe. The jack rolled and the car slipped. I didn't think it cause any damage but it turns out it did.

I've actually never owned a car without functional A/C so, not having A/C would suck June - August.
Oh well that explains it quite well! I was doing the exact same thing - trying to use my jack under the front subframe (I was using one of those trolley jacks and a piece of wood - the wood slipped because the subframe is rounded), and I had a jackstand at the ready to go underneath the subframe and it just happened to be under the radiator.

Mine was leaking though, so, had to replace it. I just wish I hadn't have tried the Stopleak before...ugh.

Automotive tire Automotive exterior Rim Auto part Composite material

·
The Nuclear Option
5,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #993 ·
Oh well that explains it quite well! I was doing the exact same thing - trying to use my jack under the front subframe (I was using one of those trolley jacks and a piece of wood - the wood slipped because the subframe is rounded), and I had a jackstand at the ready to go underneath the subframe and it just happened to be under the radiator.

Mine was leaking though, so, had to replace it. I just wish I hadn't have tried the Stopleak before...ugh.

View attachment 297810
IMO stop leak additives = 👹

I can't believe auto parts stores even sell it without trying to hard sell the part that needs replaced.

·
COTM Winner
6,725 Posts
It's absolute ****, and I'm pretty sure it was the source of my sticky thermostat years later (you know, wide open in the middle of a really cold winter day). And more than likely why my coolant temp sensors always take a ****.

It was the recommendation of one of my dad's friends who had experience with working on cars...but yeah, that was a pretty bad piece of advice there. I hate that crap.

·
The Nuclear Option
5,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #995 ·
It's absolute *, and I'm pretty sure it was the source of my sticky thermostat years later (you know, wide open in the middle of a really cold winter day). And more than likely why my coolant temp sensors always take a *.

It was the recommendation of one of my dad's friends who had experience with working on cars...but yeah, that was a pretty bad piece of advice there. I hate that crap.
"Old School Guys" don't realize how sensative modern engines are. Stop leak worked just fine on a SBC/BBC but those engine were pretty "basic".

·
COTM Winner
6,725 Posts
And even then it's probably terrible for it - that **** really just screws everything up.

·
The Nuclear Option
5,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #997 ·
UPDATE:

It is with great sadness that I made realization that the A/C condenser would have to be removed, at least for now. :(

Automotive tire Road surface Asphalt Wood Grass

Vehicle Car Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting

I also started on dry fitting the 3" exhaust. I got the most difficult part done, the downpipe.

Car Vehicle Grille Hood Automotive lighting

Overall I feel pretty satisfied with today's progress. 😌

·
COTM Winner
6,725 Posts
If it wasn't optional, then probably not. On my Cavalier, the AC compressor used to jingle, and the clutch was shot so it was not functional - but since it was an option, I just bought the non-AC belt and installed that to stop the obnoxious jingling. :ROFLMAO:

I actually still have the previous belt hanging off a shelf in my garage for...whatever reason.

• Haha
Reactions: JLL
981 - 1000 of 1031 Posts