Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
141 - 160 of 1077 Posts

·
The Nuclear Option
2015 Chevrolet Cruze LT 1.4L Turbo
5,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #141 ·
IMO $350 extra is a lot
I don't think it's too bad for what I'm asking him to do. I asked him to make me an engine break in tune and a tune for after that. I'm assuming he has to create my tune from near scratch for the combination of E85, the V3, and ZZP'S new cams. It would be different if say, it was ZZP. I'm sure they already have base tunes made for everything they sell. So, they have a starting point to go off of and then they can make minor adjustments from there. I don't actually know though. :LOL: But, according to their website they even charge $50 for a tune update.

·
Registered
2013 Cruze LT
4,152 Posts
I don't think it's too bad for what I'm asking him to do. I asked him to make me an engine break in tune and a tune for after that. I'm assuming he has to create my tune from near scratch for the combination of E85, the V3, and ZZP'S new cams. It would be different if say, it was ZZP. I'm sure they already have base tunes made for everything they sell. So, they have a starting point to go off of and then they can make minor adjustments from there. I don't actually know though. :LOL: But, according to their website they even charge $50 for a tune update.
That makes sense after your explanation. A break in tune though, cmon! lol! 😄

·
Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red, 1.4T Auto
13,676 Posts
Interesting....I just assumed most performance shops did.
It depends on what level tune you initially choose and whether or not the tuner specializes in your engine or not.

·
The Nuclear Option
5,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #150 ·
UPDATE: My tuner seems to do things much differently than the other companies that tune the Cruze. He asked for the base spring pressure and cracking pressure of the ZZP billet wastegate actuator that I'm using. So I emailed ZZP. They responded and I told my tuner. He responds with: "That can't be right. The cracking pressure is always greater than the base spring pressure."

So he had me measure the pressures using my Mityvac.

What ZZP told me:
Base Spring Pressure: 15 PSI
Cracking Pressure: "roughly 10-11 PSI"

What I actually measured:
Base Spring Pressure: 10 PSI
Cracking Pressure: 12 PSI

Picture Time:

My Mityvac:

The ZZP billet actuator installed on the V3:

I'm still waiting to here back from my tuner about the Forge Atmospheric Bypass Valve.
I'll update when he responds.

·
Registered
2016 Holden Cruze 1.8 | GT2560R Turbo | 6T45 AT |
75 Posts
Cracking pressure is supposed to be lower then the final spring pressure... If not they would overboost as the springs' rated pressure is supposed to be the max without a controller. The only times this might not be the case is if there is really high backpressure in the exhaust which isn't a good thing. The rating of a spring is not when it starts to open, rather the pressure in which it will ideally let enough exhaust past to maintain its' rated pressure.

·
The Nuclear Option
5,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #152 ·
Cracking pressure is supposed to be lower then the final spring pressure... If not they would overboost as the springs' rated pressure is supposed to be the max without a controller. The only times this might not be the case is if there is really high backpressure in the exhaust which isn't a good thing.
I was talking about base spring pressure, which I measured at 10 PSI (when the actuator arm started to move not attached to the wastegate).
Attached to the wastegate it started to open at 12 PSI (the cracking pressure). The wastgate didn’t fully open until around 25 PSI.

·
Registered
145 Posts
How did you chose the piston bore size ? Did you need to take it apart ? Reason I ask, I’m looking zap pistons and they offer 2 sizes

·
The Nuclear Option
5,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #154 ·
How did you chose the piston bore size ? Did you need to take it apart ? Reason I ask, I’m looking zap pistons and they offer 2 sizes
The stock bore size is 2.855 inch and uses 72.5mm pistons. The 2.894 inch / 73.5mm pistons are oversized for if the block needs bored. I put a bore scope down the cylinder to inspect the cylinder wall condition. It looked good so all I'll have to do is deglaze the cylinder walls before I install the pistons, which doesn't really remove much material (less that 0.001")

·
Registered
145 Posts
Thanks , much appreciated

·
The Nuclear Option
5,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #157 ·
UPDATE: I did something unexpected today. Originally I had planned to keep the stock ride height, but today I bought a set of Eibach Pro-Kit Lowering springs. I figure a lower center of gravity won't hurt. Does anyone still sell upgraded stocks and struts for the Gen1 Cruze? @Blasirl @MP81 @Thebigzeus
And anyone else who may know the answer.

Thanks In Advance

·
COTM Winner
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
6,830 Posts
Koni makes single-adjustable Yellows for the 1st gen cars. Since you can't get B6s for the rear (you can, but Bilstein simply refuses to actually make any), these are probably what I'll end up going with in the event we need new struts/shocks.

141 - 160 of 1077 Posts