Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1061 - 1080 of 1132 Posts

· COTM Winner
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
7,109 Posts
They might have changed their tooling paths to correct the issue.

And then the obvious supply chain issues.

· The Nuclear Option
5,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,064 ·
UPDATE:

I thought I'd post an update since it'll be a few weeks until I post another one. I had hand surgery on my left hand and won't be working on the Cruze for a little while. After the left hand heals then they're going to do the right one.

Anyway, here is where I left off on the Cruze. It wants to stall under light load up. This is an intermittent issue under 2 PSI of boost. I believe it may be due to my custom PCV system. I've requested specifications for the check valve I'm using and am awaiting a response.

I've ruled out any ignition and fuel injector related control issues. Just before surgery, the engine stopped warming up as it should under normal driving conditions, so I ordered a thermoswitch for the fan so it doesn't run all the time, and a different thermostat. It's acting like the thermostat is stuck open. The coolant reaches ~150F degrees and stays there unless I disconnect the fan, then things eventually overheat at idel. E85 needs at least 170F degrees to achieve optimal combustion.

· Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red, 1.4T Auto
14,165 Posts
UPDATE:

I thought I'd post an update since it'll be a few weeks until I post another one. I had hand surgery on my left hand and won't be working on the Cruze for a little while. After the left hand heals then they're going to do the right one.

Anyway, here is where I left off on the Cruze. It wants to stall under light load up. This is an intermittent issue under 2 PSI of boost. I believe it may be due to my custom PCV system. I've requested specifications for the check valve I'm using and am awaiting a response.

I've ruled out any ignition and fuel injector related control issues. Just before surgery, the engine stopped warming up as it should under normal driving conditions, so I ordered a thermoswitch for the fan so it doesn't run all the time, and a different thermostat. It's acting like the thermostat is stuck open. The coolant reaches ~150F degrees and stays there unless I disconnect the fan, then things eventually overheat at idel. E85 needs at least 170F degrees to achieve optimal combustion.
Good luck with the surgeries. Carpel, Cubital or both?

· The Nuclear Option
5,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,068 ·
I was going to add that, but needed to post to step away. I have trigger thumb, but have had both the other surgeries.
I feel for you. How long have you had it? Mine are my middle fingers. Had it for 3 years and finally decided to do something about it.

· Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red, 1.4T Auto
14,165 Posts
I feel for you. How long have you had it? Mine are my middle fingers. Had it for 3 years and finally decided to do something about it.
Quite some time, but I am much more cognizant of how I use my hands. I also pay attention to them when they start to feel fatigued. I go in for a consult in a few weeks.

I recently received an injection into one of the thumb joints and that has helped tremendously.

· The Nuclear Option
5,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,070 ·
Quite some time, but I am much more cognizant of how I use my hands. I also pay attention to them when they start to feel fatigued. I go in for a consult in a few weeks.

I recently received an injection into one of the thumb joints and that has helped tremendously.
I had cortisone injections too. For me they helped for about 2 weeks and then the effects wore off. But every body is different.

· COTM Winner
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
7,109 Posts
The hell happened there??

Reactions: Thebigzeus

· The Nuclear Option
5,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,074 ·
NGL that seal job looks horrible lol 😂 Was that bolted to the stock water pump?
Not my best work, a little too much sealant, but it's didn't leak.

It was bolted to the stock water pump. It matches the radiator output diameter. I'm going to bolt it back on. Just without the thermostat.

· The Nuclear Option
5,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,078 ·
UPDATE:

While I was waiting for the new in-line thermostat, I decided to test the breather check valve. Needless to say it does not completely seal. :( Time for more design work. So, I disassembled the valve to see what made it tick. What did I find?

This:
Product Adhesive Material property Gas Auto part

That little 1" white ball is all that seals the check valve. It's hallow and weights all of 2.0 grams! For those of you not familiar with the metric system that's less than 1/320th of a pound. That's not going to seal anything.

So after doing some calculations, and some digging, I found an upgrade that will match the intake manifold cracking/closing pressure of ~ 0.3 PSI.

A 66 gram 1" Stainless Steel solid ball bearing:
Automotive design Rim Automotive wheel system Auto part Symbol

So Shiney, can't look away...

· Registered
2013 Cruze LT
4,280 Posts
UPDATE:

While I was waiting for the new in-line thermostat, I decided to test the breather check valve. Needless to say it does not completely seal. :( More design work. So I disassembled the valve to see what made it tick. What did I find?

This:
View attachment 299051

That little 1" white ball is all that seals the check valve. It's hallow and weights all of 2.0 grams! For those of you not familiar with the metric system that's less than 1/320th of a pound. That's not going to seal anything.

So after doing some calculations I decided to replace it with an upgrade.

A 1" Stainless Steel solid ball bearing:
View attachment 299052

It weights 66 grams and should work nicely.

Now will that ball be too heavy though to move the opposite way though?

1061 - 1080 of 1132 Posts