Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

JLL's: The Golden Bullet

95473 Views 1131 Replies 29 Participants Last post by  JLL
Updated Modifications List (As of 01/07/2023):

APPEARANCE MODS:

Custom Emblem: The Golden Bullet
ANZO USA Projector Headlights
6000K HID Kit (for low beams)
5000K Osram 80W Halogen bulbs (for high beams)
ANZO USA Smoked Tailights
F1R F103 18x8.5 ×38 Wheels
245/40R18 93W Goodyear Eagle Sport All-Season Tires

SUSPENSION/BRAKE MODS:
Eibach Pro-Kit Lowering Springs
KONI Adjustable Sport Struts & Shocks
Camber Bolts
Whiteline 27 mm Front Stabilizer Bar
Whiteline 22 mm Rear Stabilizer Bar

ENGINE and DRIVETRAIN MODIFICATIONS:
Custom Tuned by Vermont Tuning
Motion Raceworks Dual Channel Ethanol Sensor Mount
-10 AN PTFE Fuel Line
Custom Air Intake
ZZP Intercooler Package
650cc Deatschwerks Fuel Injectors
Radium Engineering Fuel Pulse Damper
Deatschwerks 110mm Dual Filtration Fuel Filter
MSD Ignition Coil
NGK V-Power BRK7E Spark Plugs Gap ~0.025"
Custom 3" 304 Stainless Magnaflow Exhaust
Diamond Racing Forged Pistons
Custom Pauter X Beam 4340 Billet Connecting Rods
ZZP Head Studs

NEW CLINDER HEAD INCLUDING:
ZZP Stage 1 Performance Intake Camshaft
ZZP 72 Lbs Valve Springs
ZZP Titanium Valve Spring Retainers
New OEM Intake Camshaft for Exhaust Side
New Lifters
New Rocker Arms
New Valves
New Valve Stem Seals
TTR Polyurethane Front Engine Mount
TTR Polyurethane Rear Transmission Mount

Garrett G25-550 .49AR Turbocharger
Custom T25 Exhaust Manifold
RacerX Intake Manifold
ZZP 65mm Throttle Body
RacerX Fuel Rail
GFB Hybrid BOV
AEM E85 Rated High Pressure Fuel Pump
Griffin Maxcool Radiator 31" x 19" x 3"
Russell 15" Finned Tank Style Trans Cooler
GM LUJ/LUV Big 3 Wiring Kit

INTERIOR MODS:
ZZP Guage Pod Pillar
Aeroforce Interceptor Scan Guage
Autometer Sport Comp II Boost Guage.

Current Engine Compartment:

Original Post:

Today I thought I would get off the fence and start a build thread. I apologize, as I have never documented any of my mods previously so, I do not have many pictures. Before I get into my my current mods, I'd like to talk a little bit about my work space. I've heard a lot of people on this forum let a lack of space or a "shop" area detour them from performing moderate/significant modifications to their vehicles. I live in the second story of a duplex home in the city. For those in a similar environment, I wanted to let you know that it can be done.

This is my workspace:
View attachment 290282

It's basically a concrete pad where a garage once sat.

And this is my tool chest (also on the 2nd story):

View attachment 290283

The engine compartment as it sits now:
Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Automotive design Automotive air manifold

View attachment 290279
1081 - 1100 of 1132 Posts

· The Nuclear Option
5,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,083 ·
Update:

I got the new thermostat installed and removed the 90 degree fitting from the upstream oxygen sensor. I installed the factory oil cap until I get the ball bearing for the check valve. I took it for a gentle test drive to keep the crankcase in vacuum since at the moment there is no outlet for positive crankcase pressure. The car runs well. No stalling at idle anymore, I guess those 90 degree fittings are only for rear oxygen sensors. :LOL:

Sometimes there is a hiccup at a light, probably due to old fuel. Temperatures stay at between 195 and 180. Good heat after 20 minutes of bleeding the system. The system is much more difficult to bleed with the thermostat on the hot side. Which isn't really a surprise considering the hot side is higher than the cold side.

· Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red, 1.4T Auto
14,181 Posts
Update:

I got the new thermostat installed and removed the 90 degree fitting from the upstream oxygen sensor. I installed the factory oil cap until I get the ball bearing for the check valve. I took it for a gentle test drive to keep the crankcase in vacuum since at the moment there is no outlet for positive crankcase pressure. The car runs well. No stalling at idle anymore, I guess those 90 degree fittings are only for rear oxygen sensors. :LOL:

Sometimes there is a hiccup at a light, probably due to old fuel. Temperatures stay at between 195 and 180. Good heat after 20 minutes of bleeding the system. The system is much more difficult to bleed with the thermostat on the hot side. Which isn't really a surprise considering the hot side is higher than the cold side.
The extenders are really only used to make the rear sensor not sense as much leftover O2 thereby tricking the ECM

· The Nuclear Option
5,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,086 ·
UPDATE:
The 1" ball bearing works great in the oil fill check valve. It seals tight and still vents when needed.

I like to think of myself as a good technician but I'm not an exhaust guy. I had the new exhaust put together with stepped exhaust clamps. But Today I went over something and half the exhaust fell off. :rolleyes:

Thankfully didn't loose and pieces and there were just some light scratches on the muffler. So today I made an appointment with a local exhaust shop to have the exhaust welded and ran over the axel to the rear of the car.

Note to myself and CruzeTalk. If you don't know what you're doing, pay a professional to do the job.

· COTM Winner
2012 Cruze LTZ 1989 StarQuest 2004 TrialBlazer EXT
896 Posts
Well your learning thats the imortant part :p

Reactions: Blasirl

· COTM Winner
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
7,126 Posts
Oopsie!

• Haha
Reactions: JLL

· The Nuclear Option
5,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,089 ·
UPDATE (OLAF Style):
I visited some exhaust shops to finish my exhaust. They said, "There's no cat on this, were not touching it!" So, I went to the ghetto to talk to a guy. The guy says: "This is a nightmare, but I'll work on it." I came back a few days later to check on it. I say "It looks GREAT! Do you know how much I'll owe you?" He says: "$850 Cash. It's all stainless". I think crap I only expected $400, time to sell some stuff. Tomorrow I go to pick up the car. :) The End.

· The Nuclear Option
5,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,090 ·
UPDATE:

I got my Cruze back today and parted with $850. IMO it sounds good. It's much quiter than the old exhaust. About 25% louder than stock. Except with no cat, Two Magnaflow strait-through mufflers (one round and one oval), and 3" pipe. Surprisingly I like it. I can actually hear the turbo spool up now. Now I can fix my coolant leak.

For @Thebigzeus
Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Car Grille Hood

· COTM Winner
7,126 Posts
Oh that looks excellent. It should also drive you less insane on the freeway.

· The Nuclear Option
5,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,093 ·
So when's the re badge? And how exactly are you going about the lettering? OEM, Chrome letter kit?

Looking good.
Thanks.

I contacted a company that makes custom emblems. ~7 week lead time without paying extra.

That's all I'm going to say.

For Now....

· COTM Winner
7,126 Posts

· The Nuclear Option
5,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,099 ·
UPDATE:

I got the coolant leak fixed by dismantling the RacerX water outlet. It needed to be revealed where the shaft meets the outlet body.

I also decided to add 1,000 HP by upgrading the sound system. ;)

I'm not a "thumper" but, I can appreciate an upgraded sound system in the car. So, I bought a headunit and a full set of door speakers. I may add a couple 6"x9"s, an amp, and a subwoofer or two in the spring.

I bought one of Kenwood's new units (Relatively Inexpensive compared to some):

Product Gadget Font Computer Screenshot

And (4) Kicker 6.75" speakers.

Tire Vehicle Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle

I installed the speakers already after harvesting the surrounds from the factory ones. but, UPS still has the head unit, all the installation goodies associated with that.

· Registered
2,067 Posts
UPDATE:

I got the coolant leak fixed by dismantling the RacerX water outlet. It needed to be revealed where the shaft meets the outlet body.
Can you explain this with more detail. I plan to get this water outlet someday. Thx

Reactions: Blasirl
1081 - 1100 of 1132 Posts