Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

JLL's: The Golden Bullet

94695 Views 1131 Replies 29 Participants Last post by  JLL
Updated Modifications List (As of 01/07/2023):

APPEARANCE MODS:

Custom Emblem: The Golden Bullet
ANZO USA Projector Headlights
6000K HID Kit (for low beams)
5000K Osram 80W Halogen bulbs (for high beams)
ANZO USA Smoked Tailights
F1R F103 18x8.5 ×38 Wheels
245/40R18 93W Goodyear Eagle Sport All-Season Tires

SUSPENSION/BRAKE MODS:
Eibach Pro-Kit Lowering Springs
KONI Adjustable Sport Struts & Shocks
Camber Bolts
Whiteline 27 mm Front Stabilizer Bar
Whiteline 22 mm Rear Stabilizer Bar

ENGINE and DRIVETRAIN MODIFICATIONS:
Custom Tuned by Vermont Tuning
Motion Raceworks Dual Channel Ethanol Sensor Mount
-10 AN PTFE Fuel Line
Custom Air Intake
ZZP Intercooler Package
650cc Deatschwerks Fuel Injectors
Radium Engineering Fuel Pulse Damper
Deatschwerks 110mm Dual Filtration Fuel Filter
MSD Ignition Coil
NGK V-Power BRK7E Spark Plugs Gap ~0.025"
Custom 3" 304 Stainless Magnaflow Exhaust
Diamond Racing Forged Pistons
Custom Pauter X Beam 4340 Billet Connecting Rods
ZZP Head Studs

NEW CLINDER HEAD INCLUDING:
ZZP Stage 1 Performance Intake Camshaft
ZZP 72 Lbs Valve Springs
ZZP Titanium Valve Spring Retainers
New OEM Intake Camshaft for Exhaust Side
New Lifters
New Rocker Arms
New Valves
New Valve Stem Seals
TTR Polyurethane Front Engine Mount
TTR Polyurethane Rear Transmission Mount

Garrett G25-550 .49AR Turbocharger
Custom T25 Exhaust Manifold
RacerX Intake Manifold
ZZP 65mm Throttle Body
RacerX Fuel Rail
GFB Hybrid BOV
AEM E85 Rated High Pressure Fuel Pump
Griffin Maxcool Radiator 31" x 19" x 3"
Russell 15" Finned Tank Style Trans Cooler
GM LUJ/LUV Big 3 Wiring Kit

INTERIOR MODS:
ZZP Guage Pod Pillar
Aeroforce Interceptor Scan Guage
Autometer Sport Comp II Boost Guage.

Current Engine Compartment:

Original Post:

Today I thought I would get off the fence and start a build thread. I apologize, as I have never documented any of my mods previously so, I do not have many pictures. Before I get into my my current mods, I'd like to talk a little bit about my work space. I've heard a lot of people on this forum let a lack of space or a "shop" area detour them from performing moderate/significant modifications to their vehicles. I live in the second story of a duplex home in the city. For those in a similar environment, I wanted to let you know that it can be done.

This is my workspace:
View attachment 290282

It's basically a concrete pad where a garage once sat.

And this is my tool chest (also on the 2nd story):

View attachment 290283

The engine compartment as it sits now:
Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Automotive design Automotive air manifold

View attachment 290279
1101 - 1120 of 1132 Posts

· The Nuclear Option
5,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,101 ·
Can you explain this with more detail. I plan to get this water outlet someday. Thx
Sure, the top vent shaft screws into the body of the outlet. It is designed to be sealed solely by an o-ring and a locking collar. I disassembled it, put Permatex water pump & thermostat sealant on the threads and replaced the o-ring.

· COTM Winner
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
7,123 Posts
Good lord that's bad...considerably worse than I'd expect.

A buddy of mine has an '88 5.0 that runs Megasquirt and runs E85 - we got it to a point where the fuel economy was nearly the same as running 93, but with considerably more power. It took a good bit of tweaking - finding different load points while on the freeway with me pulling fuel out until it'd start bucking, bumping it back up a number and then moving onto the next point. I think it typically got around 11-14 MPG depending on different factors (city/highway, how much WOT, etc).

· The Nuclear Option
5,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,104 ·
Good lord that's bad...considerably worse than I'd expect.

A buddy of mine has an '88 5.0 that runs Megasquirt and runs E85 - we got it to a point where the fuel economy was nearly the same as running 93, but with considerably more power. It took a good bit of tweaking - finding different load points while on the freeway with me pulling fuel out until it'd start bucking, bumping it back up a number and then moving onto the next point. I think it typically got around 11-14 MPG depending on different factors (city/highway, how much WOT, etc).
There's still some adjustments to be made but, I don't expect fuel economy to get much better. Especially with the 180F Thermostat.

The 650cc injectors are putting a lot of E85 into the cylinders. I'm not even sure it would even run on 93 octane gasoline with those injectors.

· COTM Winner
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
7,123 Posts
Yeah, those are pretty good size. He was running 42 lb/hr injectors, but obviously in eight cylinders.

· Registered
258 Posts
There's still some adjustments to be made but, I don't expect fuel economy to get much better. Especially with the 180F Thermostat.

The 650cc injectors are putting a lot of E85 into the cylinders. I'm not even sure it would even run on 93 octane gasoline with those injectors.
My Turbo Civic with a single cam D16 gets 32 miles per gallon using 93 with old school ev1 pte 650cc peak and hold Style injectors. City mileage is around 25mpg.

· The Nuclear Option
5,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,109 ·
What kind of power are you making? I didn't see any Dyno graphs in the first couple pages and there are over 50 pages.
I'm not sure. No dyno pages yet. Still in the tuning process. It's on my agenda for the spring. Right now it's tuned for minimum boost pressure (1 Bar) for winter. ❄

· Registered
258 Posts
I'm not sure. No dyno pages yet. Still in the tuning process. It's on my agenda for the spring. Right now it's tuned for minimum boost pressure (1 Bar) for winter. ❄
I watched the video from Daves world and I just don't understand why these engines don't seem to make any power.... is it the cam grinds or the ports on the head? I wish I had a shop and time to be able to explore the generally poor power produced by these engines. There has to be a bottleneck somewhere. They make torque figures but not HP which suggests flow problems at the higher RPM ranges.

· The Nuclear Option
5,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,111 ·
I watched the video from Daves world and I just don't understand why these engines don't seem to make any power.... is it the cam grinds or the ports on the head? I wish I had a shop and time to be able to explore the generally poor power produced by these engines. There has to be a bottleneck somewhere. They make torque figures but not HP which suggests flow problems at the higher RPM ranges.
The OE style turbine housing is the bottleneck. The exit is about 1/2" in diameter going into the exhaust. GM's goal wasn't power. It was fuel economy. When the Cruze came out in 2011 in the U.S. it was one of the most fuel efficient vehicles available without going hybrid.

· Registered
258 Posts
The OE style turbine housing is the bottleneck. The exit is about 1/2" in diameter going into the exhaust. GM's goal wasn't power. It was fuel economy. When the Cruze came out in 2011 in the U.S. it was one of the most fuel efficient vehicles available without going hybrid.
Oh yeah that'll do it for sure. I know that the cruze was built completely for fuel efficiency. That's why I was wondering where the bottlenecks are.

· The Nuclear Option
5,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,114 ·
How is this build going ?
Right now it's just sitting on the back pad. I've had a nasty respirator infection for the last week. Not COVID.

Prior to getting sick, I had a custom brass V-band gasket made for the turbo. That fixed the exhaust leak and the intermittent stalling issue on deceleration. I got my custom emblem today but haven't opened it.

· Registered
2 Posts
Right now it's just sitting on the back pad. I've had a nasty respirator infection for the last week. Not COVID.

Prior to getting sick, I had a custom brass V-band gasket made for the turbo. That fixed the exhaust leak and the intermittent stalling issue on deceleration. I got my custom emblem today but haven't opened it.
Do ya have any videos of it ?

· The Nuclear Option
5,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,118 ·
I wanted to provide an update. I bought another round of custom tuning for $450. I think I'm up to $1,800 in tuning including the "stock period, the engine and V3 build, and now the G25-550 build. The Custom tuning is $1,350 of that. Including this round of revisions, it will be 25 revisions in total. :LOL:

It saves to be decisive, unlike myself. Keep that in mind kids!

On a positive note, With the G25-550 turned all the way down (14.7 psig), I'm already making more power than I was with my maxed out V3 setup at 24 psig. That being said, The new setup was $4,000 more expensive than my V3 setup.

"More Boost doesn't equal More Power; More Flow equals More Power"

· Registered
2nd 2012 1.8l mt 147000km
557 Posts
I wanted to provide an update. I bought another round of custom tuning for $450. I think I'm up to $1,800 in tuning including the "stock period, the engine and V3 build, and now the G25-550 build. The Custom tuning is $1,350 of that. Including this round of revisions, it will be 25 revisions in total. :LOL:

It saves to be decisive, unlike myself. Keep that in mind kids!

On a positive note, With the G25-550 turned all the way down (14.7 psig), I'm already making more power than I was with my maxed out V3 setup at 24 psig. That being said, The new setup was $4,000 more expensive than my V3 setup.

"More Boost doesn't equal More Power; More Flow equals More Power"
Neeeyeah , neeeyeah.

That's why I'm on the look out for an appropriate sized S so I can spell out CURSE on my Cruze.

Just spent 6hrs in a u pull lot scoring a lightly used manual transmission... Throwing that aside with a slew of other parts I've probably spent close to 3000 and have yet to install any...

· Registered
2nd 2012 1.8l mt 147000km
557 Posts
What parts do you have?
Oh at the ready?

Full drum brake rebuild, plus 1 wheel hub/ tty bolts, drums painted ceramic white

front suspension rebuild Moog spec, everything sept for A arms and reconditioned K frame/ sway bar.

water pump, two coil packs, cam sprocket/tty bolt,

Have a rear latch chrome bar, and now a random tranny. Don't know what else I have but a bit of trinkets for sure.

1101 - 1120 of 1132 Posts