Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I will be getting a Cruze Eco with manual transmission hopefully this week. Its been some years since I had a car with a manual. Does anyone know if you can still push a car to jump start like in years past or are there to many safety switches to allow you to do this? Not that I plan on having a dead Cruze anytime soon but if I did have a dead battery I could have it pushed to start it

·
Registered
207 Posts
no reason why u cannot push start a manual tranny car. however, beware that he rear bumper assemblies are very weak so pushing the car with another vehicle may damage the facia.

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
Out of curiosity i searched the pdf of the manual for anything regarding this and there was nothing about doing the old fashioned gear / bump start. However my hunch would be that given this car has stabilitrack and traction control, that if the systems come online while the car is moving it might cause some issues.

Funny though, my 2005 subaru legacy says you can do it in its manual :)

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
...stabilitrack works through the brake system, modulating how/when different wheels are braked to maintain vehicle "control."

·
Registered
67 Posts
Im 100% sure you can do it. Most manufacturers dont recommend doing it thats why it wont be in the manual. Mainly because anything that is written in the manual is assumed to be 100% safe for the car but doing a bump start can kill a worn down starter and/or a slipping clutch. Nothing to worry about on a fairly new car though.

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
...stabilitrack works through the brake system, modulating how/when different wheels are braked to maintain vehicle "control."
Yes but it uses various sensors including speed and brake sensors to work, my gut tells me that if you bump started a cruze you would at least get a check engine light out of it.

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
Yes but it uses various sensors including speed and brake sensors to work, my gut tells me that if you bump started a cruze you would at least get a check engine light out of it.
...and, depending upon how 'vigorous' that bump was, maybe an air-bag...or ten?

·
Registered
87 Posts
You can quickly answer your own question. As you're coasting down the road, pop it in neutral and shut the car off. Turn the ignition on, pop the clutch. End of question.

Cliff notes: Yes, it'll start.

·
Registered
207 Posts
i am not sure if any of u fellows are old enough to remember, but any gm car (50's-60's) with a powerglide transmission could be started by placing the car in drive, ignition on, and pushing the car with another vehicle..

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
...yes, because that powerglide transmission used both front & rear hydraulic pumps, which enabled the transmission to couple wheel power foreward through the transmission and torque converter into the engine.

...without that rear hydraulic pump, this wasn't possible.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts