Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Holden Cruze 1.8L 2012. 63k miles odometer (15-03-2020).
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,
Was not sure where to put this. So I am leaving this here.

Just for fun I wanted to show my city/suburban mpg in U.S. units on my Cruze 1.8L manual 5 speed.

First menu shows selection of "2" for U.S. units on miles and gallons.

Average 21.7 mph shown in video demonstrates the aweful start/stop traffic here in Brisbane. Less than 10% is highway driving.

Real time mpg is zero, since engine is shut off if you are wondering.

I swear the trip odometer was much higher, but I think it starts over at zero because there might be a limit.

I reset all the values when I got a logged book service about 1400 miles ago when they also replaced the stupid oil cooler & valve cover because of leaking gaskets.

Can your Cruze do better than mine? :)

Or maybe this is normal?

Cheers,
Rauli

·
Administrator
25,486 Posts
Moved to Fuel Economy.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Your car may be using imperial gallons for that calculation which reduces it's impressive-ness. LOL

My car has a US gallon lifetime of 35.0mpg over more than 35k miles. I'm pretty dang happy too.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Same job.

New house.

Different location. Longer commute.

When I first got the car. It was 34 mpg.

Moved into an apartment. Up to 36.

The house. Is around 40.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Same job.

New house.

The house. Is around 40.
So what you are saying is residential sqaure footage increases MPG?.....makes sense. I do notice that trips to my parents much larger house than mine gets me better fuel mileage.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Your car may be using imperial gallons for that calculation which reduces it's impressive-ness. LOL

My car has a US gallon lifetime of 35.0mpg over more than 35k miles. I'm pretty dang happy too.
True, but option 2 on the unit is U.S. measurement in my Holden Cruze. Press the Menu button on the lever and compare. The other option gave me about 35mpg which did not make sense & that must be the imperial units you mentioned.

Otherwise, the metric reading is 7.8 Litres per 100km but I set it to U.S. readings so people easily understand. Here is winter so no AC unless the windscreen fogs up when raining.

My driving style is I usually accelerate in one gear and skip to cruise gear. E.G. from stop to 60 kph 1, 2 then at 4000 rpm change to 4th gear because I am lazy :)

There is a reason for my fuel economy. If you want to know just ask. I wanted to get water injection going too but have not figured it out yet.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Same job.

New house.

The house. Is around 40.
Is that the 1.4L turbo? Mine is 1.8L. I did read the turbo has better mpg. Is yours city driving? I travel mostly in 25 to 40mph zones and due to stupid traffic light timing in Brisbane Australia almost every set is red when I arrive. Also hilly here on route going to work.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Yeah, UK gallons are larger than US gallons, and 7.8l/100km would work out to over 35mpg.

No AC and driving style help a lot . So does reduced speed/load. These cars all can achieve some very good mileage. My car on an extended trip at 50-55mpg easily exceeds it's fuel economy rating and I've averaged 42+mpg on 300 mile trips multiple times. Higher speeds kill these.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I normally average around 34 with majority city diving. I accelerate fast and the instantaneous mpg will be in the single digits and then I'll coast/light throttle until the next light or stop sign. Once up to speed it's easy to yield 40 to 99 on the instantaneous read out

Attachments

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
At 70kph (about 43mph) on level surface it reads 58 mpg. Still, that is not many roads. Going to the Gold Coast, half of the way is like 110kph and most speed at 120kph if radar traps are not around but fuel economy is way worse. All that air drag.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts