Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys this is my first post. I just bought a 2012 cruze 1.4t, 6 speed manual. 60k miles. I have a couple questions. When I lock it and walk away, the alarm seems to go off every time. Then when I get back in it, it says "theft attempted" does this randomly a few times a week. Is it because I leave it in gear and don't set the parking brake? Another question I have is when I am filling it up with gas and leave the car running, the car automatically shuts off. Why does it do this? The fuel gauge also take a very long time to realize that it is full. Anyone one else experiencing these problems?

·
Registered
660 Posts
It's probably just a safety feature since you're not supposed to pump gas with your car running.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
16,556 Posts
Solution: don't leave the car running at a gas station.

Does the red light on the dash stay solid and then start blinking after a few seconds?

·
Administrator
25,088 Posts
Also, use your parking brake. There is very little engine braking in these cars so even in 1st gear the car can roll.

·
Premium Member
7,786 Posts
Some people have reported problems with doors reporting that they are open when they are not. That would certainly set off the alarm. Have you gotten any such alerts?

·
Super Moderator
4,954 Posts
As far as the alarm going off, how are you locking the car? Via the lock on the door/dash or the FOB. I know if you unlock the car with the key it will set the alarm off? I have never experienced the alarm going off when locking unless you are inadvertently pressing the alarm button on your FOB when you think you are only locking the car. I did not know the car would automatically shut down when pumping gas when leaving the engine running. Never tried that before. Surely sounds like a safety feature to me.

·
Super Moderator
5,528 Posts
I don't think shutting down while fueling is normal.

However, having it running isn't the best idea from a safety standpoint and if you do it enouph times you will set a check engine light.
The car performs a random fuel vapor test anytime it is running.....if it tests with the cap off it will set a code for a major vapor test failure.

As far as the alarm business.....as someone asked, are you getting any dashboard warnings of a door or hood ajar?
If you are, that particular latch is likely the culprit.....it is telling the computer someone tried to open it because it's internal switch is failing.

Beyond that.....I don't have a clue.

Rob

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the help. It doesn't bother me that it shuts off while fueling. I can shut it off before hand, I just wanted to know why. It sounds like because of the vapor test with the cap off. My other vehicle is a diesel truck and I always leave it running while fueling so thats just what I'm used to. I am not getting any "door open" lights on the dash and I always lock it with the fob. Sometimes it goes off and sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes, even when I leave the key in the ignition and leave the doors unlocked, it will still say "theft attempted" on the dash when I get back in it, but no alarm has gone off.

·
Premium Member
2,821 Posts
With the engine running and the gas cap open, I would also expect the check engine light to turn on.

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
Hi guys this is my first post. I just bought a 2012 cruze 1.4t, 6 speed manual. 60k miles. I have a couple questions. When I lock it and walk away, the alarm seems to go off every time. Then when I get back in it, it says "theft attempted" does this randomly a few times a week. Is it because I leave it in gear and don't set the parking brake? Another question I have is when I am filling it up with gas and leave the car running, the car automatically shuts off. Why does it do this? The fuel gauge also take a very long time to realize that it is full. Anyone one else experiencing these problems?
Hello gtbakes,

We truly want you to have a positive ownership experience, and apologize for any inconvenience this situation has caused. Have you made your servicing dealership aware of your concerns? Feel free to send us a a private message with your contact information, VIN, current mileage, and preferred dealership. We'd be happy to contact them on your behalf and review this further.

Warm regards,

Jasmine F
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am new here also, ... I say do a reset of the ECM system and you can do this by disconnecting the terminals on the battery, (YouTube videos show many ways to do this) I did this as from what I learned is that the system intelligence stores memory with things like the fuel injecting and other settings. You may have to reset some things, but its worth it. (BTW my alarm seemingly only goes off when someone opens the doors by double pulling on the handle after I lock them... so I'd say that is a system quirk! Reset the ECM... let us know

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a 2012 too and had the same thing happen with the car shutting off during fueling. Assume it's normal but not sure exactly why

·
Administrator
25,088 Posts
Never tried filling my tank with the engine running. I like the idea of the car automatically shutting off.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts