Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Just got a '13 Cruze about 2 weeks ago. This is the 2nd time I filled up. The gas station filled up the tank for me. When I got home from the gas station, there was a smell of gasoline by the right rear of the car where the gas fill is. After the first fill, the car took about a gallon less than what the fuel used gauge said. This time, it took exactly what the fuel used gauge said. They didn't top it off.

What could that smell of gasoline been after they filled the tank? I was inside the car the whole time, so I don't know if any gas spilled over when they took the pump out of the fuel fill, but as I said, they didn't top it off and I was already about a gallon lower than capacity since it took a gallon less than what the fuel used said from the first fill. So the tank wasn't over filled.

I did read in another post that their Cruze spits fuel out when they try to top it off.

Anyway, I've never had a smell of gas after filling up other cars and it didn't happen after the first time I filled up.

·
Registered
713 Posts
It happened to me a few times with my Cobalt. I always fill myself and never top off so I'm not sure why sometimes it smells and sometimes it doesn't.
Did you have your windows open when it was being filled up? It could be from that

·
Banned
2,226 Posts
I can agree with what steve333 said. Thats a cause of gasoline fumes and smell inside the car. I always have my windows up and never smell gas. that might be what it is. It very could also be there was some gas that overflowed out of the neck and kinda in the gas cap area on the ledge. Who knows..I wouldnt worry too much about it.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I never have the station fill my tank. There job is to get that extra $$$$ overflow into and out off the tank fill spout extra money for them with and overflow for you. The gas will run out and thru the small hole below the filler and down into the inners. The gas will then smell for a few hours till all is gone.:)

·
Registered
99 Posts
i had this happen once, i ran it by work to talk to our mechanics (i work at chevy dealership) and he said it was from topping off, he said when it clicks and stops dont keep squeezing more into it to top it off and i havent had a problem since then, i just start slowing down when i know im getting to the full mark. if it clicks and im real close to rounding up withing 25cents ill top it off super slow to round up the total.

Reactions: Starks8

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I didn't smell any gasoline when I went back into the car last night, and I didn't smell anything this morning when I went to work. As I said, I don't think they topped it off, but I didn't see if any gasoline spilled over when they pulled the pump out. Didn't have this problem after the first time they filled the tank. Seems like everything is fine - probably just a little spillage when they pulled the pump out that may have got inside the fuel filler door. If I see them adding extra fuel after the pump clicks, I tell them to stop.
By the way, I always keep my windows up when I fill up, so I didn't smell the gasoline until I got home when I got out of the car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts