Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
5,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Same side detection sensor is bad - so they're replacing that under warranty, since it was replaced under warranty before - warrantying the warranty...

Now...the car also had a Check Engine light, that my code reader couldn't read - which to me meant it was diesel emissions...

...well, I was right. If I remember correctly from what I was just told - it was four codes - both NOx sensors, the O2 sensor and the DEF heater are all bad. Just under $1700 to replace.

Will these even affect how the car runs (as in, am I going to get a forced engine-power-reduced message?), or will the light just stay lit and the car will stay happy. Been driving with the light on for a week or two, and the car seems fine (though looking back, the last tank had dropped quite a bit - but it does vary considering we drive a lot of city with stop and go).

I see the part numbers for the NOx sensors and the O2 sensor - and see how outrageously expensive they are. Those shouldn't be any issue to put in myself, though.

The DEF heater, though...do we have a part number for that - is it even separate?

Car only has about 43,000 miles, and I'm not surprised by something like this happening, but this seems a bit early.

I forsee that doing a full delete and tuning it would be a cheaper option, and we'd end up with far more power and even higher fuel economy...and ****, even a weight reduction.

Answers, thoughts, comments?

Reactions: pandrad61

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Aren't those covered under the emissions warranty?

·
Super Moderator
7,794 Posts
There's been three or four def tanks replaced so far. IIRC there's a revised part now and new number.

I've also replaced two side detection sensors.

I'm at 3/49 of my 7/100 GMPP.

·
Premium Member
5,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Aren't those covered under the emissions warranty?
It sounds like none of this is covered under Powertrain warranty. I would certainly think it should...

·
Premium Member
5,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
essentially nothing is covered by emissions warranty
Well these would be - but the emissions warranty is only 3 years/36,000 miles, and somehow is separate from the Powertrain warranty - even though the exhaust/emissions is definitely part of PT.

Since we have this incoming recall for NOx1 and the O2 sensor - I'm wondering if we have them replace those right now, if we can be refunded that cost of parts/labor once the recall goes into effect. It looks like the sensors won't be a different part number - but the ECM is being recalled to reduce soot build up...but I'm not sure.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Well these would be - but the emissions warranty is only 3 years/36,000 miles, and somehow is separate from the Powertrain warranty - even though the exhaust/emissions is definitely part of PT.

Since we have this incoming recall for NOx1 and the O2 sensor - I'm wondering if we have them replace those right now, if we can be refunded that cost of parts/labor once the recall goes into effect. It looks like the sensors won't be a different part number - but the ECM is being recalled to reduce soot build up...but I'm not sure.
Emissions warranties are set by law to be at least 7 years/70K miles. The Bumper to Bumper is 3 years/36K miles. The problem is emissions warranties don't cover a lot of the sensors that are required for the rest of the system to operate properly.

·
Premium Member
5,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
https://www.chevrolet.com/content/d.../Warranty/02-pdfs/2k14chev_lim_wm2ndprint.pdf

7 years/70k miles...in California, not Federal. And actually, I misspoke - it's 2 years/24k miles...so even less.

Warranty "Page" 23 said:
Federal Warranty Coverage. Car or Light Duty Truck with aGross Vehicle WeightRating (GVWR) of 8,500 lbs.or less‐ 2 years or 24,000 miles and8 years or 80,000 miles for thecatalytic converter, vehicle/powertrain control module,transmission control module orother onboard emissionsdiagnostic device, includingemission-related software,whichever comes first.
Which is some serious BS.

All of our sensors and aftertreatment equipment are covered, just not for long.

Reactions: jblackburn

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
What is sad is the engine and transmission seems like a great powertrain and I am pretty confident there will not be major problems there and that has the longest warranty, but the emissions is the potential problem and quite expensive to repair when it goes bad and can restrict speed if not repaired and warranty is very unclear and shorter, makes zero sense.:uhh:

·
Premium Member
5,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yep...it's pretty irritating, really. It's one thing if parts fail - that happens...but to not cover it, on such a low-mileage newer vehicle...that's what upsets me.

Going to pick the car up after work, guess we'll keep driving it until it begins to warn us about impending speed limitation, and then we'll figure out what to do from there.

·
Premium Member
5,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got the car back, runs fine - got the invoice (their copy had all the part numbers, but I know what they are because I know of a cool Cruze forum), codes were: P11D7, P1033, P22FA, P21DD.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Got the car back, runs fine - got the invoice (their copy had all the part numbers, but I know what they are because I know of a cool Cruze forum), codes were: P11D7, P1033, P22FA, P21DD.
I Had P11d7 code. I've noticed nothing since it's been fixed except the remote start works.

·
Premium Member
5,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Okay - so it sounds like the P11D7 = NOx #2, and will not cause a speed limitation? Kind of like a rear O2 code.

With that new recall in-process, as long as it's ready in time, I can have the O2 and NOx #1 replaced for free.

The big question is that DEF heater, and what that will do. I'm not keen on spending $400 for a new tank, when one part is bad, and the rest is fine.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Same, it's gone on / off six times since beginning of June. The fix is just a new downstream NOx sensor?
the recall notice from MONTHS ago said new sensor and programming.

i clear the code it goes away for a month or two then comes back

on the scanner it still show it even if the CEL on the dash is gone.

zero impact on driveability this entire time

·
Premium Member
5,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sounds like I'll be clearing some codes today.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Same, it's gone on / off six times since beginning of June. The fix is just a new downstream NOx sensor?
Fix for my code is a new sensor. It stops the remote start from working when the cel is on

·
Premium Member
5,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My wife finally got the message about a mile from our house today - 99 miles to 65 mph limit. The DEF light on the cluster is now illuminated, and the DIC will not display anything other than "Service Exhaust Fluid" "See Owner's Manual Now" "XX Miles to 65 mph Limit".

She was pissed. I'm not too happy either.

So...yeah, guess the car is getting parked for a while. I'm not paying to replace (whether I or the dealer does it) all these expensive parts on a barely 2 year old car.

The fact this is not covered under warranty, or a recall (I know the O2 and the NOX1 sensors are, but when that comes out is anyone's guess - but what about NOX2 and the DEF heater?), is very disappointing.

·
Super Moderator
7,794 Posts
Covered for those who purchased GMPP.

1 - 20 of 123 Posts