Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took it in for first oil change drive off the lot and I start getting a lot of vibration and engine noise, car then dies in the middle of a busy intersection.

Wtf did they **** up now. Not even 6500 miles and 3 service trips jesus Christ chevy.

Anyone have any ideas

·
Registered
72 Posts
Took it in for first oil change drive off the lot and I start getting a lot of vibration and engine noise, car then dies in the middle of a busy intersection.

Wtf did they **** up now. Not even 6500 miles and 3 service trips jesus Christ chevy.

Anyone have any ideas
At a guess they either filled it way too full, or put in Dexos 1 oil. I'd bet on way too full.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Oil dipstick showing oil 3/4 inch over the highest measurable level. Also had the tow truck driver confirm that too.

Got towed to the dealership and just sitting here now. Not sure what to do I'm pretty sure the issue is over filled not sure what that does to the engine. Drove over 30 miles like that...

·
Premium Member
2,822 Posts
Wtf did they **** up now.
Oil dipstick showing oil 3/4 inch over the highest measurable level. Also had the tow truck driver confirm that too.
- I was not happy with my last visit to a GM dealer. This is not that complicated - a simple oil change. I had my car (2004 GTO) in for a coolant system flush and refill. Found the cooling system overfilled and the overflow tank hose resting on the exhaust manifold and my intake pipe over tightened and distorted. They did the oil change correctly - but I provided exactly 6.5 qts. Dip stick was correct level.

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
Was the oil clean (new) on the dipstick, or did it look sorta dirty (like they didn't do a complete drain of the old oil). Wonder if they changed the filter too, and if not, would that account for the 3/4" of overfill? How many quarts of oil was on the work order that you received?

Probably the best thing to do is do the procedure all over from the begining and do it correctly this time. The second thing to do is perhaps find another dealership for future service work.

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
Not good, and we are expected to trust dealerships????

Seems that our CTD's are very sensitive to overfilling with oil, unlike most other vehicles.

·
Super Moderator
7,838 Posts
Amateur Hour

Time to name names.

Reactions: KpaxFAQ

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Was the oil clean (new) on the dipstick, or did it look sorta dirty (like they didn't do a complete drain of the old oil). Wonder if they changed the filter too, and if not, would that account for the 3/4" of overfill? How many quarts of oil was on the work order that you received?

Probably the best thing to do is do the procedure all over from the begining and do it correctly this time. The second thing to do is perhaps find another dealership for future service work.
That doesn't work on the diesels. The oil is black immediately after you run the engine.

Reactions: BowtieGuy and Tomko

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
To the OP - Sounds like they overfilled. Sounds similar to what one other person experienced. What does it say on your repair order, for how many quarts and what item number for the oil?

Reactions: Tomko

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
That doesn't work on the diesels. The oil is black immediately after you run the engine.
Well, stupid me. Didn't notice that the thread was in the diesel forum. My apologies.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I've mentioned this before, but it seems valid here too. I have supplied my own oil since day one (minus factor fill) when getting my oil changed at the dealership. I always give them 5 liters (the oil I use is sold in liters, not quarts) to use. As I understand 5 liters is equivalent to about 5.3 quarts of oil. The CTD calls for 4.5 quarts if my memory serves me correct. Every time I have the oil changed, I ask for the remaining oil back. With the exception of one time (I've had at least 8 oil changes done), I haven't received oil back. That leads me to believe that they are just using all 5 liters and calling it a day (who knows). When I check the level for myself, it's usually just a bit over the full line. Nothing major, but still over. If this is the case, they have basically overfilled me every time and I have had no issues. My guess is that they are doubling the required amount of oil in some cases (as mentioned in another thread). Going forward, I would mention to the service writer that the car calls for no more than 4.5 quarts of oil. Make sure they note this on their paperwork. It's a PITA to have to do this, but it looks like it could end up saving you a lot of grief in the future.

·
Super Moderator
7,838 Posts
Use a sharpie to draw a line on the bottle showing the amount of oil that should be returned. 0.5 litres I believe.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
This thread indicates there is a bit of an alarming number of instances where the dealer either doesn't provide proper paperwork or does not properly document things as they should. My servicing dealer has completely earned my trust from the very first service and I have gone back to them any time my car needed anything I couldn't do. It is a good feeling to have a good dealership, and it sucks that not all dealerships are created equal.

Reactions: spacedout and Tomko
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.