Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my engine light came on in my 2014 Cruze diesel and I bought a cheap scan tool that showed its P21DD which apparently these cars are notorious for. I've read a few threads about this and I was wondering if anyone with experience could walk me through how to proceed with a local Chevrolet dealer since a lot try to skate on doing anything. The car has 57k on it so I'm well within the extended warranty but am I still looking at being out of pocket for any costs? If this is going to cost me a few hundred dollars, I'm more inclined to just deal with it eventhough it pisses me off since I can't use remote start.

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
4,349 Posts
I think the OP is referring to the "Special Coverage" on the DEF reservoir, which lasts for 10 years or 120k miles.

Should be entirely free to you to have it replaced under said special coverage. I believe this is the correct one: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2016/MC-10126332-9999.pdf

Reactions: Eddy Cruze

·
Registered
189 Posts
Mine was replaced a few years back at similar mileage with no out of pocket. It would be best to ask the service writer when making the appointment.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Nothing out of pocket. And if part is not available there should be a loaner.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Had my DEF tank completely replaced with the DEF temp sending unit... was done at 102K miles. Was covered under 10 yr/120K mile special recall or something... didnt cost me a dime! Be warned~ watch out for the "other" codes the service shop code tester can find that your tester couldnt.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just had my DEF tank replaced under special warranty two days ago at the dealer after getting a P21DD. Service consultant originally said it's not covered under a 10yr/120k mile special warranty. I insisted that it is, he double checked and got it covered - nothing out of pocket. I only have 52K on my 2014 diesel, bought July 2013. This forum is worth its weight in gold, I have been a long time lurker...

·
Registered
509 Posts
So my engine light came on in my 2014 Cruze diesel and I bought a cheap scan tool that showed its P21DD which apparently these cars are notorious for. I've read a few threads about this and I was wondering if anyone with experience could walk me through how to proceed with a local Chevrolet dealer since a lot try to skate on doing anything. The car has 57k on it so I'm well within the extended warranty but am I still looking at being out of pocket for any costs? If this is going to cost me a few hundred dollars, I'm more inclined to just deal with it eventhough it pisses me off since I can't use remote start.
Update?

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Had my tank reservoir replaced 2 times on my 2014. First time was around 30 or 40,000mi and the second time was around 80,000mi. Both of which of course, as mentioned, were covered under the special coverage. The service tech did advise though that the P21DD code can come up for other failures in the system that aren't covered under the special coverage, but it isn't likely. In that case though, it would be a diagnostics charge and then you'd have to pay for what ever needs fixing.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Had my tank reservoir replaced 2 times on my 2014. First time was around 30 or 40,000mi and the second time was around 80,000mi. Both of which of course, as mentioned, were covered under the special coverage. The service tech did advise though that the P21DD code can come up for other failures in the system that aren't covered under the special coverage, but it isn't likely. In that case though, it would be a diagnostics charge and then you'd have to pay for what ever needs fixing.
Does that special coverage apply if my cruze has a rebuilt title? I live in Pennsylvania

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Does that special coverage apply if my cruze has a rebuilt title? I live in Pennsylvania
Sounds risky. I'm going to guess no, unless maybe a dealer did it or it was dealer certified?

·
Registered
509 Posts
I believe all warranty/special coverage dies with a salvage title/total.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts