Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about the order a 2014 Cruze 1LT Automatic but I am getting a bit concerned about all the posts I have read about the jerky, confused auto transmissions in the current Cruze. On my drive home from
work, I am in some stop and go traffic and have read the transmission is very tiresome with constant shifts. I am just wondering if this would get old after a while and take the fun out of driving the Cruze?

I fully realized that this problem was MUCH worst in the 2011 year and it mostly has been corrected, but still many folks say the auto transmission is not really smooth.

I have become very used to my smooth shifting 4 speed auto transmission on the 2005 Elantra and im just wondering I would be happy with the auto transmission on the Cruze.

·
Premium Member
3,167 Posts
The auto trans in the Cruze is self learning to your driving habits.

After the first 500 hundred miles my trans shifts very smoothly.

I have a 2013 Cruze LTZ RS built in January of this year.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Trans issues are way overblown, IMO.

Trans will shift a lot. It was meant to.

It will sometimes skip a gear when slowing down and will make a slight clunk. Normal operation.

My 2012 a/t shifted as well as anything else I've owned that was an auto.

·
Premium Member
3,167 Posts
I am about the order a 2014 Cruze 1LT Automatic but I am getting a bit concerned about all the posts I have read about the jerky, confused auto transmissions in the current Cruze. On my drive home from
work, I am in some stop and go traffic and have read the transmission is very tiresome with constant shifts. I am just wondering if this would get old after a while and take the fun out of driving the Cruze?

I fully realized that this problem was MUCH worst in the 2011 year and it mostly has been corrected, but still many folks say the auto transmission is not really smooth.

I have become very used to my smooth shifting 4 speed auto transmission on the 2005 Elantra and im just wondering I would be happy with the auto transmission on the Cruze.
you don't seem to sure that you really want a Cruze.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No, believe me I DO want the Cruze! I just need to be 100% certain that I will be happy with it over a 10+ year period. I need to take more more extensive test drive, testing
its passing power on highway speeds. I have read here that it is poor at highway passing.

·
Premium Member
3,167 Posts
No, believe me I DO want the Cruze! I just need to be 100% certain that I will be happy with it over a 10+ year period. I need to take more more extensive test drive, testing
its passing power on highway speeds. I have read here that it is poor at highway passing.
No problems passing with my Cruze. Had mine up to a 100mph still had plenty of power.

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
Good thinking! It took me a long time to make sure I was 100% on the car I purchased. I set up a test route that consisted of interstate, state highway, four lane city streets, and residential. I drove each of the cars on my short list a couple of times on this same route to make sure I understood the handling, and performance of each. I also compared spec. sheets and compared features and functions in the OMs. When I had it down to the last two, I sat in each and "played" with those features to see if I could live with them for a decade. We had the trade in car for 16 years, so longevity and reliability, as well as "likeability" were key in the decision process.

Reactions: Starks8

·
Administrator
15,765 Posts
The trans issue is overblown. It shifts like a European car. Most Americans are used to cars that shift like a Buick. It holds high revs longer and takes a while to adapt to your driving style. I've driven 4 automatic Cruzes each for at least 100 miles around town and not a single one had an issue shifting.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
3,167 Posts
The trans issue is overblown. It shifts like a European car. Most Americans are used to cars that shift like a Buick. It holds high revs longer and takes a while to adapt to your driving style. I've driven 4 automatic Cruzes each for at least 100 miles around town and not a single one had an issue shifting.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Shifts like a Buick?

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
I drove a 2013 1LT A/T for three days this past April (as my daily driver). Shifting was smooth. The only thing I didn't like was the inability to run the RPMs as low as I run them in my ECO MT. The Cruze A/T is very willing to downshift to accelerate, sometimes too quickly for my liking, but other than that I had no problems. I wouldn't worry about the Cruze's transmission.

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
Jim Frye, and you decided on the Civic?! So why are you on the Cruze Talk forum?? What was it that swayed you to the Civic and was the Cruze your second choice?
You'll notice I've been here for over two years. I'll PM you on why I made the choice I did. This is a Cruze forum and I'll keep the discussion on that subject.

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
Shifts like a Buick?
As a former Buick owner I'm sure he is referring to the lifeless, smooth as butter shifts all Buick cars have.

My experience with the 2012 cruze auto(27,000miles so far) has been this... with a super easy foot it will shift like a Buick, however anything more than 1/8-1/4 pedal it likes to rev and shifts are much firmer/abrupt.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,540 Posts
My experience with the 2012 cruze auto(27,000miles so far) has been this... with a super easy foot it will shift like a Buick, however anything more than 1/8-1/4 pedal it likes to rev and shifts are much firmer/abrupt.
Agreed. Our Buick actually shifted pretty hard if you were really gunning it, but otherwise, it was very lazy and very smooth.

It hunts gears a bit in traffic, but it has a lot of ratios to choose from. I probably do the same amount of shifting with my MT, but I have a better idea of what I want it to do (e.g if traffic is coasting to a stop, I'll leave it in 2nd/3rd rather than shifting up again before pushing the gas again).

Overall, shifts are smooth, if a little confused at times. It's as much the transmission getting used to you as you getting used to the transmission.

Passing power...the Cruze sure ain't a 200+ HP V6, but it'll get up and move if you want it to. Just gotta plan it out in advance if you're moving over 50 mph. Switching lanes or accelerating quickly across a busy intersection @ 10-20 MPH is fantastic with the amount of power it gives you, which is more what the Cruze was really designed for.

Why don't you ask if you can borrow one for an evening just to make sure that it's what you want? I took home 2 cars for the night before deciding on my Cruze. That "extended test drive" is what really sold me on it.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts