Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Been on Turbo Diesel Register as MichaelOverfield, My Turbo Diesel as MRO1791, and TDI club also as MRO1791. I have 3 Diesel cars, one diesel tractor. Now 2, 2015 Cruze TDs. Picked up a high mileage used 2015 earlier this week and will be doing my own maintenance. Look forward to many helpful sharing of lesson's learned and advice.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

·
2,168 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Reactions: MRO1791

·
Registered
228 Posts
Welcome aboard. Let us know how your 15 Cruze CTD compares to the TDI?? Tell us about the TDI you had?? Was it trouble free and how many miles etc?

Just this week had two clients come to me with their VW settlement packages in hand for the buyout or repair. Must say that the buy out offers were generous and fair for the most part. One gentlemen had a 2014 Passat SEL fully loaded that had 51K miles on it and he paid $32K for the car new . Buy out was almost $29 K. basically he got to drive car for three years and put 17 K miles a year on it all for the total cost of $1K a year. Not a bad deal for him. The booklet was pretty comprehensive in spelling out options as well for owners and lessees. If you elect neither and opt out of settlement you must proceed on your own which is both costly and time consuming. He initially wanted to take the repair option and $$, but when I showed him the current value of his car which had tanked and was basically " Unsellable " , he took the buyout and ran.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Welcome aboard. Let us know how your 15 Cruze CTD compares to the TDI?? Tell us about the TDI you had?? Was it trouble free and how many miles etc?

Just this week had two clients come to me with their VW settlement packages in hand for the buyout or repair. Must say that the buy out offers were generous and fair for the most part. One gentlemen had a 2014 Passat SEL fully loaded that had 51K miles on it and he paid $32K for the car new . Buy out was almost $29 K. basically he got to drive car for three years and put 17 K miles a year on it all for the total cost of $1K a year. Not a bad deal for him. The booklet was pretty comprehensive in spelling out options as well for owners and lessees. If you elect neither and opt out of settlement you must proceed on your own which is both costly and time consuming. He initially wanted to take the repair option and $$, but when I showed him the current value of his car which had tanked and was basically " Unsellable " , he took the buyout and ran.
Well, I had the LNT 2012 Jetta.. had about 40k miles, only a couple of minor warranty repairs, then I discovered the weak HPFP. I did my first fuel filter change and found metal particles. VW wanted me to think it was OK?! And charge me to tell me it was normal ( it is not!). Right after that, emissions scandal hit the news.. a few days later I traded it for the first Cruze TD while it's value had not yet gone through the floor. VW cheated emissions to save $300 per car, the crappy HPFP they used is $600 cheaper than what the Cruze has.. that was all I needed to get out. The VW wasn't a bad car other than that. More room, the DSG is a great transmission, and I would prefer a manual, not an option with Cruze. We have had a new DPF in the first week, a NOx sensor, a new ECU, and a new O2 sensor. That is not trouble free.. but my wife likes this car. We have a high score of 59mpg, average of 41, and over 19k miles. With a growing family, I began to look at cars.. I'd love a manual, but not happening with a Turbo Diesel.. thought about 2017 when they were available... Then happened to find a 2015 TD, used. Seemed like a good deal.. got it.. seems OK, but had a P2598, P0299. Seems a fluke, boost pressures look normal.. cleared it and will monitor. Got me to dig into maintenance history.. found out the used car dealer had it serviced to correct a mis-fuel with gas.. of course not a history they shared... Hopefully it did not cause long term damage.. it would KILL a weak HPFP on a VW. This car was driven over 44000 in 10 months!! Appears to have had all required service, had GM customer care go through it with me, along with last servicing dealer. It's going to be interesting to see what I got myself into here.

Reactions: DslGate

·
Administrator
25,602 Posts
Welcome to CruzeTalk.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Well, I had the LNT 2012 Jetta.. had about 40k miles, only a couple of minor warranty repairs, then I discovered the weak HPFP. I did my first fuel filter change and found metal particles. VW wanted me to think it was OK?! And charge me to tell me it was normal ( it is not!). Right after that, emissions scandal hit the news.. a few days later I traded it for the first Cruze TD while it's value had not yet gone through the floor. VW cheated emissions to save $300 per car, the crappy HPFP they used is $600 cheaper than what the Cruze has.. that was all I needed to get out. The VW wasn't a bad car other than that. More room, the DSG is a great transmission, and I would prefer a manual, not an option with Cruze. We have had a new DPF in the first week, a NOx sensor, a new ECU, and a new O2 sensor. That is not trouble free.. but my wife likes this car. We have a high score of 59mpg, average of 41, and over 19k miles. With a growing family, I began to look at cars.. I'd love a manual, but not happening with a Turbo Diesel.. thought about 2017 when they were available... Then happened to find a 2015 TD, used. Seemed like a good deal.. got it.. seems OK, but had a P2598, P0299. Seems a fluke, boost pressures look normal.. cleared it and will monitor. Got me to dig into maintenance history.. found out the used car dealer had it serviced to correct a mis-fuel with gas.. of course not a history they shared... Hopefully it did not cause long term damage.. it would KILL a weak HPFP on a VW. This car was driven over 44000 in 10 months!! Appears to have had all required service, had GM customer care go through it with me, along with last servicing dealer. It's going to be interesting to see what I got myself into here.

welcome! you certainly fit the profile to own one of these cars.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts

Welcome. Hopefully you get everything sorted and I've mentioned before that these can be scary cars to buy used unless you know for sure what they've been through. But yes, you are definitely of the right mindset to own one of these. I have 184K miles on my diesel Cruze and it continues to be a reliable daily driver (but it hasn't been perfect).

·
Registered
687 Posts
Welcome. I traded in my 2009 TDI for my 2012 Cruze back in Jan 2012 due to the HPFP problem and haven't looked back.

Can't believe that there's a guy at TDIClub with his 3rd HPFP failure.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Welcome. I traded in my 2009 TDI for my 2012 Cruze back in Jan 2012 due to the HPFP problem and haven't looked back.

Can't believe that there's a guy at TDIClub with his 3rd HPFP failure.
I looked at the design of that CP 4.x HPFP, it's a weak design that has very little room for error. VW cheated emissions to save about $300/car. That crappy HPFP saves over $600 per car over the CP3 or similar 3 piston pump like the one in the Cruze... That should make it very clear why they chose that pump. My second Cruze has had a misfuel.. and seems the HPFP survived! If course the used car dealer was not real forthcoming with that vehicle history.. but I did get what seemed to be a good deal.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
I looked at the design of that CP 4.x HPFP, it's a weak design that has very little room for error. VW cheated emissions to save about $300/car. That crappy HPFP saves over $600 per car over the CP3 or similar 3 piston pump like the one in the Cruze... That should make it very clear why they chose that pump. My second Cruze has had a misfuel.. and seems the HPFP survived! If course the used car dealer was not real forthcoming with that vehicle history.. but I did get what seemed to be a good deal.

I've always had the feeling that my diesel Cruze was built to last. So far, that feeling is proving out. Today, with 185K miles, it runs and drives just like it did when I drove it off the lot brand new.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts