Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

K&N cone filter and piping.

1787 Views 6 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  Nellie
The premise of Diesel is that it runs more efficiently on a very hot engine, compared to a gas engine. So, is the heat soak from the engine with a uncovered cone filter really matter in a diesel? I know it does for a regular gasoline engine... I think it would make it more efficient if the cone filter was pulling warm air from the engine bay and airbox area.... Thoughts?
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
339 Posts
From what I remember, this has never been clarified. While it is said that warmer air is better for a Diesel and combustion, I don't believe there is any in-depth proof. I don't own a Diesel so I can't test this out myself.

· Premium Member
6,727 Posts
A diesel uses compression and heat to ignite its fuel, so I suspect a hot air intake would not have any negative effect.

I've been thinking even my 1.4T would benefit from a K&N short ram in the winter time, so Instead of sucking -20F outside air once the engine starts to warm should be getting air 50F+ or higher. Think this would help with warmup times slightly but more so help maintain heat I have already made(currently I loose heat coasting down hills, in city driving or if the heater fan is maxed out at speed less than 75mph).

· Registered
39 Posts
Cold air is more dense, providing a more complete burn, more power. You still want cooler air with a diesel.

· Registered
79 Posts
hot air is a negative for a diesel cold air is way better you need to cool the intake temps

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.