Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone on here has been debating about getting a K & N drop in filter don't! It is well worth the $50 dollars it cost plus it last for life and better throttle response.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
If anyone on here has been debating about getting a K & N drop in filter don't! It is well worth the $50 dollars it cost plus it last for life and better throttle response.
Welcome to the forum, new diesel owner! As for the air filter, I would rather have stock response and let less dirt into the engine.

·
Administrator
25,118 Posts
The tradeoff for more air passing through is that the filter also allows a lot more dust and dirt into the engine as well. Turbos don't like this. In fact, Chrysler has gone so far as to instruct dealerships to check for excessive pitting and scratching in some of their turbos before covering them under warranty.

Also, the stock air filter allows a lot more air getting to the engine than needed to keep it happy.

[hr][/hr]
K&N claims that their filters cannot be used to void a manufacturer's warranty in the US due to the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. However, that act also clearly spells out that abuse can void the warranty. Third party, not the car manufacturers or K&N, testing has shown that the K&N filters don't filter as well as the OEM filters GM uses. US courts have held that installing a third party component that doesn't perform as well as the OEM components is considered "abuse", effectively nullifying the consumer protections under Magnuson-Moss.

·
Super Moderator
7,682 Posts
The only thing I use a K&N filter on is the exhaust of my wife's central vac.

It delivers 15% more air watts.

·
Administrator
25,118 Posts
The only thing I use a K&N filter on is the exhaust of my wife's central vac.

It delivers 15% more air watts.
But it lets so much dust through that you have to vacuum twice as often. :)

·
Administrator
25,118 Posts
And you found out what we think about the K&N filters. Welcome to CruzeTalk.

·
Premium Member
2,244 Posts
Wow! did not know that! Time go back to stock.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I put a K&N on my Chevy truck and it let so much dirt through into the throttle body that it visible. I will NEVER use one again. I disassembled everything, cleaned all parts and reassembled (this took almost a full day). They do allow more air in and have a lovely sound but at the expense of the motor.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts