Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

K&N not recommended by chevy!

25624 Views 70 Replies 41 Participants Last post by  carbon419
ive talked to chevy service department, he said they do not recommend k&n products because of the oil in it, i had one in 5 diff. vehicles and never had a problem. K&N says it will not hurt a chevy and stand behind there warranty policy. So my question is why does chevy seem so against K&N or any oil based filters, or air intake product. I also asked if they recommended air intake systems and they said they did but it was the ones made by GM , but they dont make anything for the cruze! So whats your thoughts?
61 - 71 of 71 Posts
Sometimes the filters do come over oiled. It's on you the owner to look them over and decide.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide
So the manufacturer doesn't oil the filters correctly? Do they under oil as well? If they can't get it right, I doubt most consumers could.
I dont know why you have such hate towards K&N filters.
I have a right to my opinion just like the K&N fanboys do. I still haven't read a link that shows where a K&N filter does a better job of filtering contaminates than the stock filter does as claimed previously by a vendor that sells them.
I have a right to my opinion just like the K&N fanboys do. I still haven't read a link that shows where a K&N filter does a better job of filtering contaminates than the stock filter does as claimed previously by a vendor that sells them.
So the manufacturer doesn't oil the filters correctly? Do they under oil as well? If they can't get it right, I doubt most consumers could.
Are you here to troll, or is today a cranky day?

There's not a science to properly oiling a filter. It comes with experience and you can kinda judge based on element color. An easy way to check is to pinch the filter element with a paper towel and see how much comes off. No one is holding a gun to your head and saying you have to buy "X" products. If you don't like the products our vendors sell then look else where or create your own filter element and sell it, but don't get snippy in an otherwise civil thread that's going well.

Are you here to troll, or is today a cranky day?

Not a troll...........can be cranky at times. I've actually purchased from that particular vendor. It was a good transaction.

I don't like misinformation, especially when it's self serving, it makes me snippy.
That would make me snippy as well.

Well if you dont like 'em, dont buy 'em. Easy solution to an easy problem.
Well if you dont like 'em, dont buy 'em. Easy solution to an easy problem.
No fear of that, I guess you missed the post where I wrote "I'd never use one on anything I own".
Not that it matters or proves anything but back in 1992 I cut open the front of my air box and put a K&N into my 85 Vette (an old C4 mod) and it's still in there today. I probably only cleaned and re-oiled it 5 times at the most in 20 years and it still looks like new. Granted, I only have 89,000 miles on it though. Just sayin.....
Can't say about the "cone" replacement intakes, but I run K&N drop-ins on everything I own. If you notice how convolluted the factory intake plumbing is, with 90 degree turns and the resonator, I certainly wouldn't worry much about dirt getting into the engine.

As for the over-oiling thing, being the dummy that I am I soaked my first K&N filter first time I cleaned it for my truck. Luckily nothing bad happened. Months later when I checked the filter for dirt build up, there was red 'oil' puddled in the bottom of the air box. :eek:mg: Yeah-- don't over do with the filter oil...
Dear "Cruzers"
I´ve already listed today in this Forum. Let me introduce myself. I Live in Lima - Perú (South America). Have Chevy CRUZE 1.8cc 6 automatic speed 140HP (Summit White)
The point is, I wanna add more power -or permormance- in a practical way (not so deep). I have this 1st project:
a) K&N Filters b) Chip (G Force) c) Magna flow exhaust....
So, I appreciate your comments about it..

Thxs

Mario
Dear "Cruzers"
I´ve already listed today in this Forum. Let me introduce myself. I Live in Lima - Perú (South America). Have Chevy CRUZE 1.8cc 6 automatic speed 140HP (Summit White)
The point is, I wanna add more power -or permormance- in a practical way (not so deep). I have this 1st project:
a) K&N Filters b) Chip (G Force) c) Magna flow exhaust....
So, I appreciate your comments about it..

Thxs

Mario
Sounds like you have a good list going. I think those 3 things alone will do wonders to the Cruze you have. Any intake and exhaust modifications on a stock car will greatly improve performance, I have no doubt about that. I think the chip will add a lot of custom-ability to the performance of the car and how you drive it. Good luck with the mods!!!!
61 - 71 of 71 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.