Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So recently I've been trying to find a way to convert my K&N "Cold Air Filter System" aka Short Ram Intake (In the engine bay), to an actual CAI system. The MAF sensor / IAT sensor needs to stay near the filter so I will be relocating the whole K&N system into the wheel well. Under where the old airbox used to sit is the plumbing for the old intake. I figure that I should be able to use some PVC piping and easily relocate the assembly down there. This WOULD require splicing into the MAF Harness and extending the length of the harness to reach into the wheel well. I can do that with no trouble, but then there's that whole warranty thing.... Don't know for sure if that's gonna bomb the warranty but I figure it shouldn't as long as everything is done professionally and I can prove that the alteration is not responsible with any failure. (assuming this doesn't cause a failure, anyway.)
theoretically I don't see a problem with my mod.
I guess I'm looking for some information on the best location to put the filter for best air flow and lowest ambient temp.
Also, good or bad idea?
With love,
Robs :)

·
Premium Member
4,646 Posts
I would not want to have the filter that low. Water ingestion becomes a real issue with low mounted filters. If your engine takes a sip of water as you plow through a deep puddle, baf, no engine and probabe no warranty since you modified the intake tract. A friend of mine lost his ZO6's engine like that, it ended up being an insurance claim.

·
Premium Member
1,673 Posts
I wouldn't. If you really want a CAI, I would buy an Injen intake. YOu are asking for trouble doing this sort of thing, specially if you screw up the MAF. Also, why are you wanting to do this? You won't gain any noticeable power and you will actually lose MPG's

BTW it is considered rude to bump a thread within a few hours, and you only waited about 25 minutes. Just saying

·
Registered
239 Posts
I tested the air intake temperature with the OEM setup, then resonator delete setup & now full Injen CAI setup and the air temperature is ~5 degrees warmer than ambient temperature at highway speeds with all setups. The Cruze is intercooled so as long as you are moving, the air will be cooling before entering the intake manifold.

If you're still dead set on converting your K&N to a CAI though, you'd be way better off taking a 90* silicone bend down toward the hole from where your K&N filter sits now & go with a 1' long straight aluminum intercooler pipe, then secure your K&N to the end of the 1' long straight pipe. You can get both items from www.siliconeintakes.com.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts