Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a way to keep the A/C so the next time the car is started it is on again? It appears if I keep the vehicle off and the A/C was on, I have to tell it to turn the A/C on again. It remembers that it is on, but only for about an hour after the vehicle has been off. Otherwise I have to tell it to turn on again.

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
...basically, "no," because Feds (EPA?) require the car ALWAYS start up with the outside air vent active to prevent accidental carbon-monoxide buildup inside the cabin when the engine is started...this became a requirement sometime back in 1998-99.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't understand. I have a 2010 CR-V that does this, and my 2004 Saturn and 2002 Malibu did this as well. The A/C is controlled by dials though, not by electronic buttons like the Cruze.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The fan control is on. The A/C button is on. But if the car has been off for more than an hour it forgets the A/C button was on.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
I think my 2LT is the same, but always click the AC off and run the blower at full speed when I know I am going to be stopped for awhile. Dries out the evaporator to prevent mold buildup and helps to prevent corrosion.

But if you have to turn it back on, not exactly like grabbing a 60 foot ladder to climb up to a roof to switch it back on, just a finger tip away.

I have had it with automatic climate controls, was in Chicago 300 miles away during a major thunderstorm on a very hot August day when the ACC decided to fully open the blend door blasting out 195*F heat, Off would only turn off the blower, but still blasting in red hot heat. Was helpless, but somehow survived, but did have the choice of drowning with the window down or getting baked alive.

Then a much shorter trip in another vehicle with ACC on a sub zero day, when the blend door decided to close on its own.

Really like the heater AC system in my 04 Cavalier with real cables and switches that gave me complete control as opposed to a silly-con diode doing that for me. A bit apprehensive on the Cruze so-called manual system, just soft touch switches telling a silly-con diode what to do, so the same thing can happen. But purchased one anyway, previous experiences didn't kill me nor my passengers. A convenience is not a convenience when you have problems.

Am able to repair these problems myself after pulling the dash, but parts are still astronomical. You can really run up your credit card bill if you have to pay to get it repaired.

What's typical around here, weather will be warm then an Arctic blast comes in, at first rain, icy rain, then snow, then sub zero weather. If the car is sitting out side, all the moisture freezes up the blower motor and the blend and mode doors. So a question remains with the Cruze, if that happens, and you switch on the heater controls and defrost, will all those electrical motors or the power MOSFET transistor burn up, or will it just simple blow a fuse. So far, haven't risked that, leave everything off until the engine is at peak operating temperature and the MVAC has time to thaw out. With previous GM vehicles, fuses never blew, but all that other stuff would burn up. That can get very expensive, especially if your dealer want 250 bucks for a two buck blower module.

Speaking from experience.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just wanted to be able to have my car cooled down before I got in it when I used remote start on my iPhone lol. Its 200 degrees inside, and the A/C blower sucks donkey balls. Takes forever to get cool so I thought I'd get a head start.

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
Eiolon -- my wife feels exactly the same way about getting into her "hot" LTZ, but has simply learned to accept it as it is.

·
FI Lunatic
1,380 Posts
Haven't tried to leave my LTZ in Auto and do a remote start yet to get the A/C to cool the interior. If one cannot do this, what's the point of remote start??

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
Haven't tried to leave my LTZ in Auto and do a remote start yet to get the A/C to cool the interior. If one cannot do this, what's the point of remote start??
My 2012 l1t I leave my AC/fan on max & remote start to cool the car all the time, never noticed the settings being lost(never left for more than 8hours parked).

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
Is there a way to keep the A/C so the next time the car is started it is on again? It appears if I keep the vehicle off and the A/C was on, I have to tell it to turn the A/C on again. It remembers that it is on, but only for about an hour after the vehicle has been off. Otherwise I have to tell it to turn on again.

Eiolon,
I would suggest that you contact your local dealer about this. They will be able to look into this and let you know if it is operating as designed or if there is an issue. Please keep me posted on this. If you have any questions, comments or concerns please feel free to contact me.
Thank you,
Stacy Chevrolet Customer Service

·
Registered
904 Posts
Earlier this evening I played around with the AC settings. I've found that as long as the fan switch is left on when the car is shut down, then the AC will come on at the next start, no matter long it was shut down. And if the recirculate button is left on, then that comes on at the next start. It's different with a remote start. The AC does not come on until the key is put in the switch and turned to Run. So the key is the key to the AC coming on at the next start, no matter if it is manual or remote. This is in a 2LT without Climate Control.

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
It's different with a remote start. The AC does not come on until the key is put in the switch and turned to Run. So the key is the key to the AC coming on at the next start, no matter if it is manual or remote. This is in a 2LT without Climate Control.
Thats not how mine works. With remote start none of the gauges or climate controls light up until the key is inserted but they are still fully operational at the last setting used.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts