Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,013 Posts
but it won't stay locked...
Sounds like you have a second keyfob inside the car. It's trying to prevent you from locking your keys in the car.

If it "sees" two fobs and one "disappears" then it's happy. But if it "sees" only one and it's still inside, it will auto-unlock.

·
Premium Member
8,013 Posts
Go inside and hit the button. If the car starts, then there is certainly another fob inside. Needless to say, the theft risk just went up.

I think the car is set to auto-arm itself even if unlocked. That may be why the alarm goes off when you open the door.

Check the usual places, glove box, arm rest (the padded part lifts up), door pockets, under the seats.

If you take the fob you have downstairs, I'll bet you can lock it with the remote. I think it will be happy if it hears you have the other key.

·
Premium Member
8,013 Posts
I wouldn't expect it to allow you to unlock with just the fob that's inside. It might be reacting to the door antennas, so I'd check the door pockets as well as the seats by the front doors.

·
Premium Member
8,013 Posts
It said it has a range of up to maybe 65 feet??
Yes and no. The fob to car range is probably that far. That allows you to remote start and other things. The car to fob range is much, much shorter.

What happens when you push the button on the door is the car sends out a query. If it's answered by a fob that's been programmed with the car, then it will unlock. It should only check via it's outside antennas - which are in the front doors and by the trunk latch. I think the missing fob must be so close to one of those points it's responding to the outside antenna, making the car think it's outside. I don't think the car will unlock if it finds a fob via it's inside antennas, but I've never tested that.

As a wild one, check the ceiling. The Cruze has handles to help people get out of the car. Maybe it's stuck up behind there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.